Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission lines 1990 f250

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 09:50 AM
Farmer Jay
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission lines 1990 f250

Hello all. I'm sitting here at work frustrated because I'm not sure what to get for parts on my way home. We have a storm coming tomorrow, so I thought it would be a good idea to drive my plow truck to work with me today to be sure all was well. I started it, let it warm up and went to drive off to work and it didn't move. After checking it quickly, the transmission cooling lines appear to have sprung a leak. I couldn't be late for work, but I looked quick and they seem to be 5/16, is this correct? My other question is, I have no idea how much pressure is in the cooling lines. Can these be patched with rubber hose and clamps, or do I need to get steel tubing and brass ferrules and such to keep them rigid metal lines? Thank you in advance for your help.

Jay

Old 12-18-2008, 10:16 AM
operator exmark
5th Wheeling
5/16 sounds right but don't quote me on that. I had a F150 with an AOD anyway. I noticed my cooler lines were spliced from the factory using a compression fittings so I just replaced the rusted out section with a length of tubing and two compression fittings. Rather simple if you have room to fit two wrenches in there. This repair held fine for two years until I swapped out my sloshbox for a ZF five speed

Old 12-18-2008, 11:40 AM
deeznuts822
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
U could do rubber,although a new set of lines couldnt cost more than 15 bucks but would take a lil longer to change the entire lines, as opposed to just cuttin out and replacing the bad spot with rubber or metal

Old 12-18-2008, 12:56 PM
alxsnmr
Fleet Mechanic
I have a rubber hose up by the cooler to connect in the filter for the C-6 in my truck. Only time it didnt hold is when I was doing donuts in the company parking lot after working hours. But they still hold today with out much issue.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:22 PM
Ford Breakdown
Senior User
Do get hose specifically designed for tranny fluid: gasline and such will rot quickly.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:20 PM
jadmt
Senior User
Originally Posted by Farmer Jay
Hello all. I'm sitting here at work frustrated because I'm not sure what to get for parts on my way home. We have a storm coming tomorrow, so I thought it would be a good idea to drive my plow truck to work with me today to be sure all was well. I started it, let it warm up and went to drive off to work and it didn't move. After checking it quickly, the transmission cooling lines appear to have sprung a leak. I couldn't be late for work, but I looked quick and they seem to be 5/16, is this correct? My other question is, I have no idea how much pressure is in the cooling lines. Can these be patched with rubber hose and clamps, or do I need to get steel tubing and brass ferrules and such to keep them rigid metal lines? Thank you in advance for your help.

Jay
My 89 with C6 tranny has a small piece of rubber hose connection the lines near the bottom of the radiator. The first cold spell (sub zero) I was letting my truck warm up and sprung a leak at both ends of the rubber connecting hose and all I had to do was tighten up both hose clamps. It has not leaked since.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:27 AM
chas4x4
Junior User
cooling lines

Can any one tell me if the line coming out of the tranny with the rubber hose connected is the return and does this go to the back port on the transmission or the front port.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:37 AM
rainbowATF
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I lost all tranny fluid in minutes when PO rubber line pushed off of metal line coming from front pump. I cruised to a slow slipping halt. If you use rubber; then flare ends of metal lines to help clamps hold tight. I replaced mine with 5/16 compression fittings and section of metal line.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:34 PM
Farmer Jay
Freshman User
Thank you all for your help.

Just an update. I bent new steel lines, but I too had short rubber connections just below the cooler. I took a minute to put a slight flare on the end of the steel lines before sliding the rubber over them and everything has been holding up just fine. I'm not so sure I would still consider using an entire length of rubber though. It really didn't take me all that long to bend up new steel lines, and I also have since noticed, LMC has prebent lines available.

Jay