1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

'99 Navigator...Suspension NIGHTMARE!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 05:45 AM
Owens187
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pdqford
IIRC, the pre-2003 4WAS System used a vent valve between the two rear air bags, in conjunction with a Power Steering Pressure Switch. When the 'brain' detected that the Power Steering was activated (as in going around a curve), the 'brain' closed the vent valve to isolate the left and right rear air bags. This was to keep the air from being forced out of the bag that was supporting extra weight from the leaning vehicle and rushing into the bag on the lightly loaded side and causing the vehicle to lean excessivley on turns.

Maybe that vent valve is malfunctioning and restricting the air flow to the passenger side rear air bag, and therefor not letting it pump up as high as the driver's side.

(My DVD drive took a dump so I can't access my Ford manuals - maybe someone can confirm my recolection?)

Yeah, I located that valve, but it seems to be passive, as there is no electrical connection to it at all...

Anyways, to rule it out, i removed it, and used a line union to connect the lines together, eliminating the valve...still no luck.

So lets recap....

I have ruled out the solenoids, the air springs, the height sensors, the vent valve, the line union, air leaks, and the compressor/dryer.

The only thing left is the computer, maybe something is wrong with that circuit to that particular air spring solenoid?

Oh well, Ive decided to completely rip the air ride out and put in a passive spring system. The parts should arrive tomorrow, along with four new tires since this problem completely shredded the old ones...

Ill keep you posted!!

Ps...I would still like to know what the hell is wrong if anyone figures it out!

Old 12-22-2008, 07:00 AM
Z06PSI
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the manual!

Old 12-24-2008, 12:31 AM
Owens187
New User
So I got the parts, and converted the rear suspension, and let me say.....Oh-Da-Hell-Yeah!!! I highly recomend the conversion to anyone having these suspension problems. I converted the back, and left the air ride on the front. Only cost me $210.00, including shipping and handling (not including the four new tires). The trick I found to make sure your check susp. light does not come on, and to make sure the front still works correctly, is that I left the air line and electical connection on the air spring solenoid, and just zip tied the whole thing to the tops of the new springs. I then adjusted the rear height sensor all the way down (which makes the computer think the rear end is all the way up, so that the computer will pump up the front to keep it level with the rear). Its funny because when you turn the car off, you can still hear the solenoids trying to vent the air from the now non-existant rear air springs.... So now the front still works great, and the 'gator rides like brand new! I was worried that the ride quality would be not as good as the air, but honestly I really cant tell any difference. Still rides like floating on a cloud. Well worth the 210 bucks, as opposed to the thousands you can spend trying to get the air ride right again!

Old 01-15-2009, 12:30 AM
sac123abc
New User
Ok finally fixed the back springs on my Lincoln Navigator today. 2 back springs cost $210.00 including shipping...Had them put in for $75 from a mechanic on craigslists. Priceless.. Now my navigator is running high in the back will replace the front ones in the future. Drives awesome no problem. THANKS EVERYONE

Old 01-17-2009, 04:57 PM
jayslinkn
New User
As for the suspension service manuals, Could you send them to me !
Please, Please !!!
I have been searching high and low, my next step was off to the dealer to see if they would print one for me (ya,rite!) I thought Id try atleast.
If you can email to me :
jay.tran@yahoo.com

I'm trying to figure this thing out......
I have had a bunch of trucks/suv's I have lifted them all, I have rebuilt suspensions and so on, This thing has me thinking of switching to a conventional coil spring suspension but I wanna give the air thing a shot 1st
Thanks!

Old 01-17-2009, 05:00 PM
jayslinkn
New User
BTW
These guys look pretty good, I plan to order the isolator kit so I can get rid of that constant vibration thru the floor, Its driving me crazy ! Check it out......
LINCOLN Air Suspension Parts - Navigator 1998-2002 (4 wheel drive)

Old 01-23-2009, 09:26 AM
afish70
New User
Question

can someone send me the manual as well? afish70@hotmail.com
i have a 2000 Gator that the drivers side rear is a little droopy, well the whole rear looks lower than the front to me as well. i have replace the compressor prior to this problem. This thing is driving me crazy.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:13 AM
dannielchackas
New User
hey I was wondering if you can email me the manual please
lutierocio@ottimodeals.com

Originally Posted by Owens187
Ok, so for some reason my navigators passenger rear air spring wont pump up to the same level as the rest of the vehicle, which is pulling the car right and destroying the tires. It does inflate, just not high enough. The other side pumps up much faster, and higher. Air compressor is fine, as all other corners come up no problem (front comes up dead level). I have had a alignment check, its okay. I have checked for air leaks from front to back with soapy water, checked the airbags, everything. The only leak I found was at the line union near the brake master cylinder...ordered the part and repaired it, no luck. Figured maybe it was the air spring solenoid, so I replaced it, still no luck. Figured I would rule out the airbag(airspring), so I completely switched the left rear air spring/solenoid and the right rear air spring/solenoid (left to right, right to left), Same problem on the passenger side still, which effectively rules out the springs and solenoids. This makes no sense, as there is only one air line that comes to the rear, which tees off and goes to each rear spring.
Now Im even wondering if its the passsenger side not going up far enough, or if its the drivers side going up too far.... How freaking aggravating! The stealership wants $200 just for an "initial diagnostic scan"! Their prices are insane! (for example, I got said solenoid online for $45, the dealer wanted $212!) Anyone got any ideas?? Anyone had the same problem?

Any info will be INSANELY appreciated!

-Owens187

By the way, I have the navigator/expedition suspension service manual in pdf form if anyone needs it...I had a really hard time getting my hands on it, so I figure Ill share the wealth.

Anyone have the owners manual in pdf??

Old 02-21-2009, 12:00 PM
Byron43
Junior User
Originally Posted by Owens187
Ok, so for some reason my navigators passenger rear air spring wont pump up to the same level as the rest of the vehicle, which is pulling the car right and destroying the tires. It does inflate, just not high enough. The other side pumps up much faster, and higher. Air compressor is fine, as all other corners come up no problem (front comes up dead level). I have had a alignment check, its okay. I have checked for air leaks from front to back with soapy water, checked the airbags, everything. The only leak I found was at the line union near the brake master cylinder...ordered the part and repaired it, no luck. Figured maybe it was the air spring solenoid, so I replaced it, still no luck. Figured I would rule out the airbag(airspring), so I completely switched the left rear air spring/solenoid and the right rear air spring/solenoid (left to right, right to left), Same problem on the passenger side still, which effectively rules out the springs and solenoids. This makes no sense, as there is only one air line that comes to the rear, which tees off and goes to each rear spring.
Now Im even wondering if its the passsenger side not going up far enough, or if its the drivers side going up too far.... How freaking aggravating! The stealership wants $200 just for an "initial diagnostic scan"! Their prices are insane! (for example, I got said solenoid online for $45, the dealer wanted $212!) Anyone got any ideas?? Anyone had the same problem?

Any info will be INSANELY appreciated!

-Owens187

By the way, I have the navigator/expedition suspension service manual in pdf form if anyone needs it...I had a really hard time getting my hands on it, so I figure Ill share the wealth.

Anyone have the owners manual in pdf??
I would really appreciate a copy of the manuel, Thanks
bsmalley@hotmail.com

Old 06-13-2009, 05:17 PM
rjandjrv
New User
Air suspension Manual

Hello, I was wondering if I could get a copy of that manual also. I would really appreciate it!

Last edited by rjandjrv; 06-13-2009 at 05:26 PM. Reason: messaged him directly
Old 08-10-2009, 09:35 PM
klsterc43
New User
Unhappy Suspension manual

I too have a leaner. Took it to a mechanic who said the airlines were so complex he'd have to charge me at least 3 hours labor to trace them all out and test them for leaks, with no guarantee. Went to another mechanic who threw it on the diagnostic. It did throw some codes, but same story...labor to review and decide which direction he'd TRY first. It DID pump up all the way on both sides when it was on the diag, but went back down on the one side after a couple hours. He thought that his first step would be to replace the solenoid since the diag bypassed it. IS this true? Does the diag bypass the solenoid? What else would it bypass? Would welcome anyone's opinion. I pull in anywhere with this thing and the first thing they see is big $ signs for repair. I can't get a straight answer from anyone AND if I had the $ I'd have already taken it to the Dealer and gotten it fixed. I have turned the suspension switch off, but have never "leveled" it out. Most tell me overnight, but it's still sitting in its nice lean position when I come out in the morning. The pump comes on for a few sec's and I'm back to where I started from. If you'd be kind enough to forward the suspension manual my way, I'd really appreciate it and if anyone can enlighten me on the diag or answer what gets bypassed during the diag on the suspension test, I'd love to hear it. Thanks so much, klsterc43@yahoo.com

Old 08-11-2009, 08:00 AM
GIO23
Junior User
hi could i also get a copy Gmaione@att.net thanks

Old 08-13-2009, 09:06 PM
chadbostwick
New User
could owens 187 forward that air manual to me please im having the same issue cwbostwick@gmail.com

Old 08-13-2009, 10:35 PM
bnovak
Senior User
all right all right I'll jump onboard to if everyone else is getting the suspension manual.

Brett_Novak at hotmail DOT com

If you want to send it to me, I can host it and share a link to it so we don't need to keep emailing!

-BN