Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Alternative Fuels, Hybrids & Mileage
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-26-2008, 10:05 PM
Freshman User

spuck77 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Diesel alternative fuels

I know that recently the fuel prices have come down a little, but I am still looking for fuel options. I have looked into bio diesel and veggie oil and am still working on getting set up to make my own. I have recently been looking at adding or building a natural gas injection system. I have heard the same things with this as with all other mods like, it is cheaper to run, gets better mileage, and you've heard the rest. Has anyone tried this or know where to start?
Old 11-27-2008, 06:41 AM
Post Fiend

Lazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to all
Have not tried it but if you are looking for somewhere to start you should scroll down to the diesel section and look at the page devoted to alternative diesel fuels. Further on down and you will come to the Alternative Fuels page. Happy reading.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:13 PM
Post Fiend

jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.
All the transit buses in Los Angeles have been converted from Diesel to natural gas, so it can be done. They have the fuel tanks located on the roof, because CH4 takes up much more volume than fuel oil per BTU of heat energy. I think they are LNG, not CNG, something the average motorist would have no source of supply.

Why did you make the statement "gets better mileage"? Its just the opposite, a big hit in range if you dont have room for a lot of extra tanks. A CNG Crown Victoria has about half the range and half the trunk space of a gasoline-powered one.

Jim
Old 12-02-2008, 03:07 AM
Postmaster

aurgathor is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandmandy View Post
. They have the fuel tanks located on the roof, because CH4 takes up much more volume than fuel oil per BTU of heat energy. I think they are LNG, not CNG,
If they are using methane (CH4), then LNG is highly unlikely.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:44 PM
Post Fiend

jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.
Natural gas is methane, in compressed (CNG) or liquid (LNG) form its still CH4. I was not talking about LPG (Butane and/or Propane).

Jim
Old 12-03-2008, 12:59 AM
Postmaster

aurgathor is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
LNG is mostly used during transportation. In any case, I searched, and they appear to use CNG and HCNG. Green Car Congress: City Engines In 30% HCNG Transit Bus Project
Old 05-26-2011, 08:24 PM
New User

pappy2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
alternative fuel systems

spunk77, the cheapest fuel you can make is used oils and diesel blend,you can generaly get used oils from small repair shops, they have to pay companys to pick up used oils, so most of them would gladly give it to you. you just have to be able to have containers and able to transport it to your location. NOTE: be sure to ask if they have added any used coolant to the oils, if they have don't use it. build you a simple filtering system for the oils,use a 50/50 oil to diesel blend or a 40/60 blend oil to diesel,you can add atf if its not already in the used oils helps to burn hotter. this is the blend i have been using in my f250, runs fine, haven't had any problems. do some research on the web if you have dought. just keep your system simple you won't spend a lot of money.
( have a good place to work) use dawn soap to clean up any mess you may make,good luck.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:31 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Responding to a 3 year old thread?..................

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 05-29-2011, 01:32 PM
New User

pappy2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
alternative fuel systems

if any of you folks are interested in propane fuel for your trucks, a lot of propane dealers can install a unit so you can run on propane, i owned a ford pick up that would run on gasoline or propane, simply hit the switch change from one to the other. ( consider propane is pretty costly + the kit and installing it + tanks needed etc.) but it works. don't know about putting it in a car? or if putting tanks in the trunk is a good idea? any way you can check it out.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:32 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Alternative Fuels, Hybrids & Mileage

Tags
alternative, diesel, ford, fuels, gas, lng, methane, pick, run