Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engines locked up. is it fixable!!!! help

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 11:48 PM
MY_TRUCK_IS_BEAST
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation engines locked up. is it fixable!!!! help

Ok so if any of you have been possibly keeping up with my mud machine you would have know that i finished it and got it running but now im very sad and ill explain why. i was having a nice little party in one of the fields on our farm and after it was all said and done i had to cross a creek to get back to the house. i had no issue getting to the spot just going back is what got me. the water was only about 2 foot deep and i crossed it in 2wheel drive. well anyways i crossed the creek to head home and about half way through she just died well it turns out my motor locked up!? i have no clue how or why this happened if anyone could help me thatd be great or explain how this could have happened on one of the thousands of times ive crossed that creek all it does is click when i try to start it =( any help at all would be great!! thanks in advance.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:42 AM
Ford Stable
Senior User
SO is the engine actually seized up...because clicking could be something as easy as a battery change.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:45 AM
stangbanger
Senior User
yes or a starter solenoid. I would put a wrench on her and see ifi youu can crank it over by hand at all

Old 11-22-2008, 12:49 AM
88n94
Cargo Master
Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts
Have you tried turning it over by putting a socket with breaker bar on the nut on the front of the crankshaft pulley? If so and it won't turn you probably sucked the cylinders full of water through the intake. In which case I would remove ALL of the spark plugs and crank the engine over ASAP, but only after removing all the spark plugs.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:55 AM
MY_TRUCK_IS_BEAST
Junior User
yeah i was gonna put a half inch breaker bar on the nut tonight and check, but about the battery and solenoid..i put a new one on not to long ago and when i take a screw driver or something to both nuts on the solenoid it sparks like mad, so im sure its not the battery or anything. but if it is seized up is there anything you can do about it? ive heard of people pouring mystery oil down the spark plug holes, ive even heard of seafoam doing the trick?

Old 11-22-2008, 09:17 AM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I would have to agree with those that said to remove the plugs and try spinning it.

Being as you where in water when it happen, regardless of how many times you did it before, its likely you sucked in water and hydro locked it. If it is you really need to get the water out.

It could have bent a rod, water is not elastic and can not be compressed, but may survive it if you get it out by removing the plugs, don't try turning it until you have removed all the plugs.

If it did seize/lock up while it was running without any water being sucked in no amount of mystery oil or seafoam is going to help it. Something must have broke and is keeping it from turning. Could be anything, throwed a rod, snapped camshaft or crank throwed the timing chain (doubt that one) sucked a valve, broken flywheel what have ya. Depends on how many "R's" you had it doing at the time and what you heard when it stopped.

If no noise, no bang or metal tearing sounds and just suddenly stopped its probably just water.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:33 AM
MY_TRUCK_IS_BEAST
Junior User
i was at about half throttle, and it didnt make any noise besides the usual ford 302 straight piped sound, its to loud and cant hear much of anything, but i have a k and n cold air intake and the filter was soaked, but when i get home from work im gonna attempt to turn the crank

Old 11-22-2008, 10:35 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 971 Likes on 767 Posts
Last guy I saw that locked up an engine crossing a "little puddle" laid waste to the motor when it injested water, it doesn't take much to do a lot of damage, pull the plugs and hope for the best.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:08 AM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
My friend's 85 Bronco with 302 sucked water once while at idle, bent two rods.... and that was at idle! Half throttle, not so good.....

Old 11-22-2008, 11:42 AM
1966Tbird
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
look at it this way if you bent a rod or something you can get a used motor out of a junk yard, ebay or craigslist for around $300

Old 11-22-2008, 04:57 PM
MY_TRUCK_IS_BEAST
Junior User
so i just got in from work, went straight to my garage and attempted to the crank and turned pretty easily that made me kind of excited. then my hopes got back down i drained all my oil out into our pan while my dad was behind me he looked at the oil and said it was filled with water and it was a milky chocolate color. so should i change my oil and try to start it, with all this any suggestions would be fine. the crank did turn but was pretty hard to turn.

Old 11-22-2008, 05:25 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy

REMOVE plugs at once!!!!!!!!! The reason it cranked over maybe just that "some" of the water it sucked up leaked down, if it has any wear on the rings at all. I'd pull all the plugs before I done anything else at all. Then crank it over "with fresh oil and filter" and blow all the water out. You may use some synthetic oil, if you didnt bend a rod or something and be ok???

Good luck????

Old 11-22-2008, 05:58 PM
gilllawn
Senior User
Are you kidding me

Sounds to me like you don't have a clue. It's common sense here. IF you have water in the oil you have to change the oil. You also need to find out where the water came in from. Gosh. This is unreal. Better yet, get rid of the ford and go get a chevy. Leave the real machines to the men.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:38 PM
MY_TRUCK_IS_BEAST
Junior User
Originally Posted by gilllawn
Sounds to me like you don't have a clue. It's common sense here. IF you have water in the oil you have to change the oil. You also need to find out where the water came in from. Gosh. This is unreal. Better yet, get rid of the ford and go get a Chevy. Leave the real machines to the men.
why are you getting so angry? ive never dealt with anything like this so i have no clue what im doing, there's no need to go around ranting about stupid stuff...to get away from retards like you, i pulled put the plugs already but its getting really cold even with the heater in our garage so ill update tomorrow.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:52 PM
gilllawn
Senior User
I'm not mad. I just feel sorry for people like you but mostly it hurts because of what you are doing to a great piece of american automotive genius.

Quick Reply: engines locked up. is it fixable!!!! help