1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to check for --No Cruise Control?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 11:42 PM
superdutyconst
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to check for --No Cruise Control?

I've recently discovered that my CC doesn't work all of a sudden after four years. I've checked all fuses under steering column and couldn't find anything blown. While driving @ highway speed and pressing the ON button, the green CC light no longer lights. What should I check next? Pressing any buttons on the steering wheel related to CC while driving do nothing either.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:16 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
I had that happen one time, took the button cover off. and cleaned the contacts that the cover presses against and worked like a charm.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:39 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 875 Likes on 727 Posts
Check fuses F27 & F34.

Pull connector to the speed control module and inspect it for purned or corroded pins.

Check the deactivator switch and the add-on harness fuse (if applicable for your truck) for continuity.

Attempt to run the VSC Self-Diagnostic as follows:

Self-Test Diagnostics

WARNING: This test is a key on engine off (KOEO) test only that is conducted in PARK only with the emergency brake fully engaged.

Enter the Self-Test Diagnostics by depressing the speed control OFF switch while turning the ignition key ON, making sure the engine does not start and is not running. The speed control indicator on the instrument panel will flash once to indicate that speed control module entered the diagnostic mode. Five additional flashes at this point indicate a defective speed control servo. Release the OFF switch.
Press the remaining switches in this sequence: ON, RESUME, COAST and SET/ACCEL.
If the "ON" switch is not depressed within five seconds after entering the diagnostic mode, the module times out and the procedure must be started over.
The speed control indicator lamp will flash as each switch is depressed. Press each switch in the sequence immediately after the indicator light goes out for the previous switch.
NOTE: There will be a slight delay when the last button is pressed and the lamp flashes.

A lamp flash with the last button (SET/ACCEL) indicates that the STATIC test passed. If the lamp does not flash with the last button and there are no additional flashes of the lamp, the switch is defective.
If the lamp does not flash with the last button, and additional flashes occur, follow the chart below for trouble codes:
Report your results.

Steve

Old 11-09-2008, 01:25 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
To check if it is the brake booster sensor, unplug the wire from the pressure sensor and short the two holes in the plug together with a paper clip. If you CC works, then it is the pressure sensor.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:37 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by cartmanea
To check if it is the brake booster sensor, unplug the wire from the pressure sensor and short the two holes in the plug together with a paper clip. If you CC works, then it is the pressure sensor.
Thats what it was on mine, I knocked the wire off the sensor while installing my WW, plugged it back in, and I was off again.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:16 PM
superdutyconst
Junior User
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
Check fuses F27 & F34.

Pull connector to the speed control module and inspect it for purned or corroded pins.

Check the deactivator switch and the add-on harness fuse (if applicable for your truck) for continuity.

Attempt to run the VSC Self-Diagnostic as follows:

Report your results.

Steve
Thanks for the test, I'll perform it when wifey gets home (watching kids now) and report results. Thanks again.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:45 PM
superdutyconst
Junior User
Project, here's the results:
F27 and F34 check out good.
Self test diag as follows:
1. Holding "off" button and key to on = 1 green light (gl) flash
2. Press "on" = 1 flash gl
3. Press "resume" = 1 flash gl
4. Press "coast" = 1 flash gl
5. Press "set/accl" = NO flash gl
6. Three green light flashes follow

I didn't know where to look for the speed control module. I looked at the 5 pronged connector attached half way up the brake pedal and everything looks clean and not burned. Not sure where the deactivator switch is (assume this is the latter). And I don't know if I have the add-on harness fuse. Hope this helps further a diagnosis.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:38 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
3 Flashes = Deactivator switch is open or circuit defective

That's the sensor on the master cylinder. Follow the advice above to test it.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:20 PM
superdutyconst
Junior User
Originally Posted by F350-6
3 Flashes = Deactivator switch is open or circuit defective

That's the sensor on the master cylinder. Follow the advice above to test it.
Thanks F350, found the fuse connection and noticed it is full of brake fluid leaking from the sensor connected to the master cylinder. Ever seen this before? If I replace this sensor, do I need to bleed brakes afterwards. If anyone has a detailed fix, I would greatly appreciate it. It appears that this has been leaking for some time because the BF resevoir is low.
Thanks BJ.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:59 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 875 Likes on 727 Posts
Two words - Cruise Recall?