1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Changing 2 BBL Carb to 4 BLL

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 03:50 AM
sunnybottomboys.de
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing 2 BBL Carb to 4 BLL

Hello !

I`m a hillbillycat ;-) from Germany and new here at this forum. Need some help for my F-150, 1986, with the good old 4.9 IL.
I`d like to take off the 2 BBl Carb and put a 4 BBL Carb on it.
I already got the Offenhauser Intakemanifold that fits 4 BLL Carbs.
What 4 BBL Carburetor would you recommend ? Holley, Edelbrock, what size,etc. ?
Is there somebody who already changed to a 4 BBL Carb ?
What do you think about Headers for the 4.9 IL ?
Does it increase power with this engine ?
What headers are ok ? Hooker, Headman, etc. ?

I`m very thankful for any information cause most of the people here in "Bratwursthausen" even don`t know what a F-150 is ... ;-)

God bless the US !!!

Old 11-05-2008, 04:59 AM
jimbo beam
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sunnybottomboys.de
Hello !

I`m a hillbillycat ;-) from Germany and new here at this forum. Need some help for my F-150, 1986, with the good old 4.9 IL.
I`d like to take off the 2 BBl Carb and put a 4 BBL Carb on it.
I already got the Offenhauser Intakemanifold that fits 4 BLL Carbs.
What 4 BBL Carburetor would you recommend ? Holley, Edelbrock, what size,etc. ?
Is there somebody who already changed to a 4 BBL Carb ?
What do you think about Headers for the 4.9 IL ?
Does it increase power with this engine ?
What headers are ok ? Hooker, Headman, etc. ?

I`m very thankful for any information cause most of the people here in "Bratwursthausen" even don`t know what a F-150 is ... ;-)

God bless the US !!!
Hello, welcome to FTE.

For a carb I wouldn't go with anything bigger then 500 CFM. Holly makes a 390 CFM 4 barrel that works very nicely on stock and mildly built 300s. As far as power increases I'm sure you'll fell a little more power out of it, it all just depends on what carb you got on there now. If you're already running a performance 2 barrel then you might not gain a whole lot more power.

One benifit of the 390 CFM Holly is that it has quite small primaries, so along as you keep your foot off the floor and keep the secondaries closed you can expect a fuel mileage gain over your current setup.

As far as headers go Hooker and Hedman are both well respect brands you'd be fine with either of them. Not sure if you know this or not but fuel injected 300s had very nice high flowing 2 piece exhaust manifolds from the factory. Its a rather popular swap to put a set of EFI manifolds on a carbed engine, they're basically factory headers. If you can find a set cheap enough that might be another option to look into.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:59 PM
quesey
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
What part of germany?I was there in march and never see any trucks lol see caravans of cars pulling travel traliers but no trucks.But i loved it there wanting to go see more next year we were down by regensburg and nurnberg.and went sking @garmish off subject i know but good luck with your truck and welcome

Old 11-05-2008, 11:25 PM
sunnybottomboys.de
Freshman User
Hi there !!!

Hey Jimbo Beam,

thanks much for your informations ! That`ll help I think.
Right now it has a single exhaust system. Would a dual change anything except the sound ?
Another question: My Ford has only got one gastank (rear, 52 Liter, 16 gallons ?)
I read, the 86 F-150 all had 2 tanks. Can it be that the preowner(s)
removed one for some reason ? Or are there F-150`s with only one tank, what makes not much sense cause you won`t get very far...
Thanks !

Scotty

Old 11-05-2008, 11:38 PM
jimbo beam
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sunnybottomboys.de
Hey Jimbo Beam,

thanks much for your informations ! That`ll help I think.
Right now it has a single exhaust system. Would a dual change anything except the sound ?
Another question: My Ford has only got one gastank (rear, 52 Liter, 16 gallons ?)
I read, the 86 F-150 all had 2 tanks. Can it be that the preowner(s)
removed one for some reason ? Or are there F-150`s with only one tank, what makes not much sense cause you won`t get very far...
Thanks !

Scotty
Some have two tanks and some just have one, just depends on what options the truck had when it was built. Many base model trucks XLs and such had just one tank, although some base model trucks have two. For the most part the higher optioned trucks XLTs, Lariats, Eddie Bauers, had two tanks, but then they can also have just one as well.

If your truck just has one fuel filler door on the fender then chances are very high it came that way from the factory. If on the otherhand your truck has two fuel filler doors and only one tank then someone either replaced the fender/bed or took the tank off.

Dual exhaust will give you different sound, mostly depends on what mufflers you use, or if you just straight pipe it. Also depends on wiether or not your using catalytic converters, and wiether they're stock or highflows. Theres quite a few things that influence how the truck will sound.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:13 AM
sunnybottomboys.de
Freshman User
Hi Quesey !

That`s funny.
I`m from Regensburg/ Bavaria...
Most of the trailers you see here are dutch people who travel to italy and other countries that direction.But you`re right, you can`t find much US-trucks over here. I was living in Bloomington/ Indiana in 1997 and toured 17 states with a US- Rockabillyband called "Swing Rays". That was an incredible nice time, cause I met many people and saw a lot of your beautiful country.
Now I`m doin` the doghouse bass for "Natural Blues" (www.naturalblues.de) and play guitar and banjo for the "Sunny Bottom Boys" (www.sunnybottomboys.de) You`re more than welcome to leave a message at the guestbooks
I enjoy the rides in my Ford truck very much, cause it`s a part of the US and helps much to relax between all the stressed out folks over here.
The bad thing here is that gas is very expensive (7,35 $ / 1 gal...) that`s why I´m goin`t to change to LPG next year.

Sorry for guys !

Ya all have a relaxed week,

"PROST" says Scotty

Old 11-06-2008, 12:51 AM
sunnybottomboys.de
Freshman User
Thanks MAT !

O.K. great help !!!
There`s a converter on it now, but I`m gonna take it off, cause the government does not accept US- Converters anyway ...
To drive without is actually very expensive (ca. 800.- € !!! / year for the 4.9 IL) But ( thank god) I pay a special truck tax (140.- €/ year) that depends on the size of the bed.

Greetings,

Scotty

Old 11-06-2008, 01:55 AM
sunnybottomboys.de
Freshman User
Hi Quesey

Originally Posted by quesey
What part of germany?I was there in march and never see any trucks lol see caravans of cars pulling travel traliers but no trucks.But i loved it there wanting to go see more next year we were down by regensburg and nurnberg.and went sking @garmish off subject i know but good luck with your truck and welcome
That`s funny
I`m from Regensburg !!!
I`ve been living in Bloomington/ Indiana in 97/98 and toured 17 states with an US-Rockabillyband called "SWINGRAYS". You`re country is really beautiful...had an incredibly great time back then.
Now I`m doin`the doghouse bass for "NATURAL BLUES" (www.naturalblues.de) and playin` guitar
and banjo for the "SUNNY BOTTOM BOYS" (www.sunnybottomboys.de)
You`re more than welcome to leave a message at our guestbooks

You`re right,US- Trucks are definetely rare over here... Most of the people that you saw on german highways are dutch and on their way to italy or other countries during their holidays.There are many jokes bout the dutch and their trailers I enjoy cruisings and workin with my F-150 more than you can imagine, cause it really helps to fly away from the stressed out folks over here.

Hey guys, sorry for , but I just had to answer

Ya all have a relaxed time,

"PROST" says Scotty

Old 11-08-2008, 03:10 AM
Opossum
Postmaster
As to the carb, with that manifold you are much better of if you can turn the carb 90deg so the fuel delivery is even front to back. This is a pain but well worth it. I agree the small holley is a good choice. Also the offerings from demon carbs, they are based on holleys but built much better.

Headers, For my money Clifford makes the best headers for your truck. There an old school company that only services American made 4 and 6 cyl engines give em a call
951-471-1161 or online Clifford Performance :: Make 6 = 8