351 w cam question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 11:29 AM
williamsportwrestler
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
351 w cam question?

Sorry I should have put this in my other post I am in the learning process. My truck is an 82 ford f150 xlt lariat supercab. I have a 351w non H.O. I have been saving money to put in the engine I want to put a four barrel carb intake cam and headers and eventually a set of gt 40 heads that I want to try to port myself. Now this truck is by no means a daily driver it barelly passes inspection. My weakness comes when it comes to cams I want to try to gain more torque the cam that is in it now i'm sure is stock and offers little. I have heard that that the xtreme 4x4 cams are good please give me some insight. Also don't have the heads yet so they will go on later. thanks in advance!

Old 11-04-2008, 12:58 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 966 Likes on 764 Posts
Check out the Edelbrock top end kit for these motors, that's essentially what you want to produce a broad powerband. The more you improve the engine breathing the more power it will make everywhere, the stock heads are really restrictive so there's nowhere to go but up. BTW there is no rev limiter on the stock ignition system as far as I know, an MSD system would be a good addition.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:53 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
IMHO the two top cam builders are Iskenderian, Crane, Sig Erson and Crower (in that order IMHO). (fyi, the 3rd cam ed Isky ground in the garage of his house went in my dads engine!) With regards to lifters, isky is the only mfg that test every spring befor it leaves the shop.....a very, very important item.

Anyway, their techs will speak with you over the phone and provide recommendations based on your specific needs, but would recommend Isky & Crane as the primary. IMHO, while I'm not a big edelbrock fan, I highly recommend the air gap manifolds- requires little hand finishing and the flow is absolutely excellent- better than almost any other manifold on the market right out of the box no matter what the application- for both hp and tq.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:28 PM
PerfDistIgnition
FTE Sponsor
If you decide to get a new distributor, consider our custom curved Duraspark Distributor built with our new Full Length Oil Impregnated Bronze Bushing. The full length bushing improves timing stability and spark scatter. If stock appearance is not an issue, take a look at our one piece D.U.I. Distributor. Whether you choose the Duraspark or the D.U.I., we curve each on a distributor machine based on your engine combination. Please see them at:

Ford Distributors

Also, there is now an excellent installation article on the D.U.I. Distributor on the Ford-Trucks.com site at:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/article/...d_351W_V8.html

Old 11-08-2008, 01:46 PM
williamsportwrestler
Junior User
Originally Posted by Beechkid
IMHO the two top cam builders are Iskenderian, Crane, Sig Erson and Crower (in that order IMHO). (fyi, the 3rd cam ed Isky ground in the garage of his house went in my dads engine!) With regards to lifters, isky is the only mfg that test every spring befor it leaves the shop.....a very, very important
I checked out those springs good info. I'm 22 in the military and at the bottom of the totum pole (little extra $$) The prices of thos springs arn't bad at all thanks!

Old 11-08-2008, 06:49 PM
williamsportwrestler
Junior User
Is it possible to replace the cam without rebuilding the engine or taking it out of the truck. If so what am I looking at what tools do I need seals gaskets whatever! Thanks

Old 11-09-2008, 09:25 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 966 Likes on 764 Posts
Yes the cam can be replaced in the truck, you need to remove the intake and waterpump and timing cover from the motor, and remove the rad and grill. Then you remove the rocker arms, pushrods, and lifters, and then the cam. Assembly is the reverse with all new gaskets.