Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 4.4L Ford Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

4.4L Ford Diesel Discuss the much rumored 4.4L Ford diesel engine

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-04-2008, 03:24 PM
Junior User

Davetopay is starting off with a positive reputation.
Why a 4.4 and not the VT275?

Navistar already has the whole VT line of V6 engines at the ready, why not adapt them to a light pickup? I have a few trucks running these at work and they are great motors. with an 18 foot body and a GVW of 18500 loaded down to 20k it has NO problem pulling hills, very little turbo lag with the twin turbos, and right around 11mpg pushing that barn door of a truck down the highway.
Old 10-04-2008, 04:47 PM
Posting Guru

camodown has a great reputation on FTE.camodown has a great reputation on FTE.camodown has a great reputation on FTE.camodown has a great reputation on FTE.camodown has a great reputation on FTE.
Although the VT275 adapted to the torqshift is a great motor/tranny combination, Ford doesn't seem to want to have anything to do with International. Thats all i can think of... plus, they have the Dagenham diesel operations in EU. Staying 'in house' is cheaper...
Old 10-05-2008, 04:28 PM
Posting Guru

origcharger has a good reputation on FTE.origcharger has a good reputation on FTE.
Early in this decade the VT 275 was developed by International for Ford light duty vehicle use. Story was Ford declined to use it because it wasn't as smooth running or quiet as they felt it needed to be. Ford and International had a go around at that time as International had spent a lot of money on its development. Recouping some of those costs may be why we got the 6.0 when we did.
At any rate the VT275 aka 4.5 Powerstroke aka MaxxForce 5 will be history when the 2010 emission standards go into effect as International is discontinuing its production.
two EGR valves, forgot to reconnect the wires on the second one at 151,360 miles.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:05 AM
Post Fiend

Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
The problem is that International couldn't get the VT275 to meet the light truck (under 8500 pound GVWR) emissions standards and still drive well. How would you like 25 seconds 0-60 times? That's where they were when the program was cancelled.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 10-15-2008, 08:10 PM
Junior User

Davetopay is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
The problem is that International couldn't get the VT275 to meet the light truck (under 8500 pound GVWR) emissions standards and still drive well. How would you like 25 seconds 0-60 times? That's where they were when the program was cancelled.
Oh well. It pushes my beer trucks down the road just fine.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:05 AM
Post Fiend

Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
It runs fine on the more relaxed over 10k emissions levels. It can't meet the lower limits and drive well.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 01-29-2009, 12:40 PM
New User

Ryan S is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by origcharger View Post
At any rate the VT275 aka 4.5 Powerstroke aka MaxxForce 5 will be history when the 2010 emission standards go into effect as International is discontinuing its production.
Where did you get this info? I work for a Navistar dealership and have not heard anything to this effect, As a matter of fact, I have gone to school for the whole maxxforce line from the 5 all the way to the 13. 2010 emission standards have already been met.
Ryan
Old 01-29-2009, 09:55 PM
Posting Guru

origcharger has a good reputation on FTE.origcharger has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
Where did you get this info? I work for a Navistar dealership and have not heard anything to this effect, As a matter of fact, I have gone to school for the whole maxxforce line from the 5 all the way to the 13. 2010 emission standards have already been met.
Ryan
I heard it from an International training instructor. Of course he could have been mistaken or the MaxxForce 5, like the VT365 could just soldier on in military trucks or markets other than North American on highway.
two EGR valves, forgot to reconnect the wires on the second one at 151,360 miles.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:20 PM
Posting Guru

randomhero1172 has a good reputation on FTE.randomhero1172 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by origcharger View Post
I heard it from an International training instructor. Of course he could have been mistaken or the MaxxForce 5, like the VT365 could just soldier on in military trucks or markets other than North American on highway.
Yes i have also heard that international claims they meet 10' standards and in fine print " With different tuning etc" so a tuned down version. thats rumor thou from what i have been reading.
*1990 f-350 dually 7.3 IDI 12ft Alum. Box. 205,000.
*2001 dodge 2500 5.9 24v cummins. 140,000mi: Bone dryyy stock!
Old 12-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Senior User

IHbase is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.IHbase is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I found something to the rumors that Nissan was flirting with the use of the vt275 in the Titan- But this was before the days of $4.00 diesel and everyone shelved their 1/2 diesel projects.

But one thing seems certain- There is a lot of pent-up demand for a light diesel truck in the North American market.

My bet? GM will be the first (again) to market a 1/2 ton diesel.

-mike
Old 01-15-2010, 10:46 PM
Freshman User

OLBESSIE is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHbase View Post
But one thing seems certain- There is a lot of pent-up demand for a light diesel truck in the North American market.

My bet? GM will be the first (again) to market a 1/2 ton diesel.

-mike
actually, mahindra will be the first to market a 1/2 ton pickup, yes, i know it will be marketed in the light trucks segment, but its more the size of a dakota, and has a 2650-2850LB payload...

i'm beyond fed up with the ever growing emissions standards for all our vehicles. go after the real problem: factorys. make them tighten up there emissions outputs AFTER you abolish NAFTA, so they cant pick up and move to a country without emissions regulation.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:46 PM