6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Will the Banks Ram-Air and Moster Exhaust (VOID WARANTY)???

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 05:21 PM
Simoncx
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it depends on the dealer, my local ford dealer doesn't like mods so who knows what they would do. On the other hand when I asked about exhaust for my duramax at the chevy dealer they asked which one and would order and put it on for me. Personally I would wait before modding a brand new truck at least 10-15k to let the engine break in, but thats just me. Some dealers seem not to care too much others do, I've seen some dealers sell new trucks on ebay already modded so it depends on the dealer.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:41 PM
6.4SilverBullet
New User
Originally Posted by Simoncx
I think it depends on the dealer, my local ford dealer doesn't like mods so who knows what they would do. On the other hand when I asked about exhaust for my duramax at the chevy dealer they asked which one and would order and put it on for me. Personally I would wait before modding a brand new truck at least 10-15k to let the engine break in, but thats just me. Some dealers seem not to care too much others do, I've seen some dealers sell new trucks on ebay already modded so it depends on the dealer.

Thanks man...

Old 09-30-2008, 10:33 PM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree that this is a dealer to dealer situation. Exhaust is probably the least risky but I have not heard much on the change in tone and the hope of better mileage with an exhaust change which means you are just swapping it out for a single tip. Kind of spendy if you ask me.

As for the intake, they can blame all sorts of down stream items on this so just be careful.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:32 PM
KingRanch250
Senior User
I would not risk it. If you think that you can out muscle FMC in court, then go for it. Also give some thought as to what it does to your resale if Ford rejects your warranty for aftermarket product(s). You would have to disclose this to any potential buyer. If you did not disclose the warranty cancellation or rejection, you could expose yourself to a lawsuit. It's not worth it IMO.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:02 AM
SouthTexasDiesel
Elder User
You just need to ask yourself is it worth the loosing warranty. You will never get a 100% clear answer when it comes to warranty claims and if you get them or not. Read the bottom of the resonator on the tail pipe, it says removal may void warranty, at least on mine it does. The best thing you can do is talk to your dealer about it. Like many others, I've got the DPF delete, big exhaust, programmer, and intake, and I spoke with my service manager before I did it all. Basically my warranty is still intact, as long as I just don't blow up my motor. There's a difference between something breaking down and just plain negligence.

IMO, the exhaust isn't worth it. It risks your warranty, doesn't improve HP or TQ, doesn't reduce back pressure, no exhaust noise, and doesn't lower EGT's. The only thing the Banks exhaust does is lower Exiting gas temperatures to just slightly lower than stock, and I mean slightly. So you'd pretty much be paying a lot for a tip.

As for the intake, I don't have any experience with Banks, but the stock intake is actually very good. For a truck that isn't programmed it provides more than enough air. I had my stock air filter in for a long time with a 120 HP tune and never had any issues, only when I loaded the 250 HP tune did I need a more open intake to handle over 50 psi of boost.

If you're eventually gonna program the truck go for the intake, the exhaust is up in the air as far as what you're looking for.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:11 AM
Karl Keicher
Senior User
OK-Here is my 2 cents! If you are planning on using banks aftermarket equipment, check with banks. They can tell you up front if there equipment will void any warranties, or violate any pollution laws. Once they give you the go ahead, and tell you that no effect will be made against your warranty, then they have just assumed the responsibility. But, check with banks and dont be afraid to ask them questions. I have been using banks monster exhausts, and intake systems on my ford diesels since 1985. I have had 3 blown head gaskets, 8 bad injectors, 1 clutch, 1 cam, and 1 injection pump replaced under warranty with this aftermarket equipment installed with no trouble whatsoever from ford.JMO

Old 10-02-2008, 09:36 AM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
Karl, you are absolutely incorrect. Banks will "help" you with research on the magnusson moss stuff about aftermarket parts but it is Ford against you in a warranty situation. I have lived through this nightmare with Banks products in the past two years. Ford will fight you on headgaskets and injectors now. If you have one go they have in their service bulletins, suspect a chip.

As for the question in this thread, I went to a third dealer yesterday and asked them flat out the deal on the warranty of the exhaust, intake etc. Their comment was this. While they would not deny warranty for changing to a Banks exhaust, tail pipe without removing any of the emissions stuff, another dealer down the road might. Once your truck is flagged with a warranty denial you are SOL at any dealer. Their advice is wait until the warranty is up before putting any aftermarket stuff on.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:34 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Ditto Jasfaa.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:30 PM
6.4SilverBullet
New User
Thanks Guys.. Next What If I put a Fabtech 6" Lift with big wheels and tires?

Old 10-03-2008, 09:14 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The only warranty you should lose there would be anything to do with the suspension and possibly braking system.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Karl Keicher
Senior User
Originally Posted by jasfaa
Karl, you are absolutely incorrect. Banks will "help" you with research on the magnusson moss stuff about aftermarket parts but it is Ford against you in a warranty situation. I have lived through this nightmare with Banks products in the past two years. Ford will fight you on headgaskets and injectors now. If you have one go they have in their service bulletins, suspect a chip.

As for the question in this thread, I went to a third dealer yesterday and asked them flat out the deal on the warranty of the exhaust, intake etc. Their comment was this. While they would not deny warranty for changing to a Banks exhaust, tail pipe without removing any of the emissions stuff, another dealer down the road might. Once your truck is flagged with a warranty denial you are SOL at any dealer. Their advice is wait until the warranty is up before putting any aftermarket stuff on.
First of all-the original thread mentioned NOTHING about a chip-it asked about exhaust and a ram air system. Second-read your warranty, it CLEARLY states that as long as any modifications have no adverse, or dis-abling effect on the emmisions system, and do not electronically change the rated HP output originally established by the manufacturer,And do not violate any current EPA regs in effect at the time of manufacture, the warranty will NOT be effected. This info was collected from Fillback Ford inc. Highland Wi. I was also told by this dealer that if these ford dealers are denying warranty simply because of an exhaust change or an intake system upgrade, then ford is the second place you go to with the problem, the first place is the Better Business Bureau. Obviously, if you upgrade with a "chip" then you have altered the original settings on the engine, and Quite frankly, I would not warrantee it either. However, as I stated previously, there was no mention of a chip being installed in the original thread, therefore, my original comment is absolutely correct, and can be completely verified thru the afore mentioned dealers service department. Let me know if you would like their phone number and a copy of the warranty.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:24 PM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
Karl, again you went to your hometown dealer. Go on a trip and another dealer may not feel the same way. I have had this issue, I am speaking from experience and my local dealer also said they would not void the warranty for it but the guy up the road might. Good luck on your purchases. I am just not going down that road again and I hope I don't see you in here 2 years down the road crying over spilt milk.