2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Break in oil - when to change

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 06:14 PM
digger52
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Break in oil - when to change

Like to get some thoughts from you guys on when to drain the break in oil .
I've bought a few new vehicles and have always made the change at about 2000 miles , today I picked up a new filter and a guy told me at 500 . Thought that was alittle soon , he also said to check see whether it might have synthetic in it . Just wondering ?

Old 09-20-2008, 06:50 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
after 500 miles...but no more than 1,000 miles.

I waited until a bit after 1,000 miles. my oil was pitch black. I wish I had done it at the 500 mark myself.

your truck has 5w20 semi-synthetic Motorcraft oil from the factory. It's cheap, and good oil. make sure to use the motorcraft FL-820S filter also.

The motorcraft is the best stuff for the money that you can buy...and it's all at the factory specs

Old 09-20-2008, 06:53 PM
rplatt56
Senior User
If its a new F150 then it has semi synthetic in it from the factory. I changed mine over at 3,000 then 5,000 after that. I use Motorcraft Synthetic blend 5W20 as recommended. No mods what so ever and average 17.8 mpg in mixed driving. This is really not babying it and the AC on all the time.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:14 PM
BlueOvalFitter
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Your engine was broke in at the factory.Change it at your normal interval.I had mine changed at 3k miles and it was still gold!

Old 09-21-2008, 01:06 PM
osbornk
Postmaster
Originally Posted by rplatt56
If its a new F150 then it has semi synthetic in it from the factory. I changed mine over at 3,000 then 5,000 after that.

I did exactly the same thing

Old 09-21-2008, 01:51 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Your engine was broke in at the factory.Change it at your normal interval.I had mine changed at 3k miles and it was still gold!
wish my motor had been that way. I kid you not, at 1,000 miles (or close enough for gov't work) I did the 1st oil change. It was pitch black nasty oil.

Every single oil change since then has been a nice golden amber. I always do 3,000 mile changes. I could do the 5,000 mile change, but I'd rather do shorter intervals and be assured the engine has clean oil

Old 09-21-2008, 04:06 PM
Warbird Mechanic
Junior User
On a brand new engine I usually change out the oil at every 3,000 miles for two to three oil changes then every 5,000 miles after that. The black oil means there is some initial blowby because the rings in the cylinders have not fully seated yet during break in, which is normal on a new engine. If the old oil becomes an amber color during the next few oil changes thereafter its all good. If its still black in color after two or three oil changes then you may have a problem that needs more looking into, such as a broken ring, etc. Hope this helps.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:31 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
Drive it off the lot and maintain it like you intend to operate it throughout the period of it's life. You'll be fine.

Tim

Old 09-21-2008, 10:00 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
I'm probably about the only one here that says this, but...

I did mine at 5,000...and have had no problems. No burning oil, no abnormal sounds...runs perfect! I do use motorcraft oil and filters each time, and about half the miles I have on it are towing, up to a 9,000 lb trailer, and she runs like a champ.

Just because the oil is black does NOT mean it's bad, worn out, or harmful to your engine. I know I use this example a lot, but at work, they change the oil in those trucks every 40,000 miles. After about 5,000, it's pitch black...and the remaining 35,000 miles...no problems. My company normally sells their trucks at about 5-600,000 miles, and they rarely have engine problems. yes, diesel engines, but same concept...you can't accurately determine whether or not oil is worn out just by color!

Now...a couple of other things to think about. Who here has had engine failure, or damage, because of improper lubrication, yet maintained the factory maintenance schedule? I'm willing to bet nobody...At the same time, an oil change is NOT an expensive procedure, especially considering you're maintaining a multi-thousand dollar truck.

Do what makes you happy, but remember straying from the recommended 5w-20 is DANGEROUS. Other than that...

18,600 miles, and going strong!

Old 09-21-2008, 10:16 PM
1saxman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Break-in oil has not been generally used by auto makers for fifty years - it's Motorcraft 5W20 synthetic blend just like you get at Wal Mart. Draining it before 3000 miles/6 months could delay engine break-in. Just check it every fuel stop to make sure there is no abnormal use - it would not be unheard-of to have to add a quart once during the period, but most engines won't use enough to see on the dipstick. I only had 1650 miles on my first oil, but it had been over six months plus time on the dealer lot, so I changed it. I now change it at 3000 miles or twelve months - it is not driven much as you can see. The oil can pick up moisture from the air over time which could combine with combustion residues to form an acid, so it's important to change the oil regularly even on lightly-driven vehicles.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:42 AM
jsoko
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I changed mine at 1,500 and at 3,000 then 5,000 thats the way I do all my vehicles, oil looks good (Motorcraft oil+filter)

Old 09-22-2008, 10:39 AM
rebelyell618
Elder User
[quote=Crazy001;6572438]

Just because the oil is black does NOT mean it's bad, worn out, or harmful to your engine. I know I use this example a lot, but at work, they change the oil in those trucks every 40,000 miles. After about 5,000, it's pitch black...and the remaining 35,000 miles...no problems. My company normally sells their trucks at about 5-600,000 miles, and they rarely have engine problems. yes, diesel engines, but same concept...you can't accurately determine whether or not oil is worn out just by color!

quote]

aw.. no.. diesel engines are going to turn the oil black that's the nature of the beast but a gas engine will not have the oil black unless there is a problem with the engine or the oil is flat out destroyed or full of crud and should be out of the engine asap..

plus you have to remember you go 40K on the oil with the trucks at your work, well there is almost 4 gallons of oil in the diesels vs 6 or 7 quarts on the ford gassers. then add in a huge filter on the diesel that extends the oil life by a little bit.

i agree you cant tell the oil is bad by color (as in dark brown vs amber) but most of the time darker it is the more crud in it and it needs to be filtered better or removed and replaced with fresh stuff.

sorry to take the thread off topic.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:49 PM
Warbird Mechanic
Junior User
The real test of an oil's performance is to tear open the old oil filter with a oil filter cutter, (not a hacksaw) during each oil change. Next, put the metal end of the exposed filter element in a vice, place two clean shop rags over the other metal end to prevent cutting your fingers and rip the metal end of the exposed filter element clamped in the vice off and discard the metal end. Repeat for the other metal end on the opposite end of the element. Once the metal ends have been completely torn away from the paper element, open up the filter's individual paper filaments with your fingers and inspect the paper element for particals. If you find there is more than a teaspoon of metal present in the filter's paper element, then you will know you got a real problem on your hands. You can use a magnet to see what metal is present. A few metal specs or anything under a teaspoon is considered normal.

Even when I change the oil at every 5,000 miles on my 5.4 liter V8 gas motor, I still check the oil level regularily. I usually find myself adding around 1/2 quart of oil about a week or so before I get to the next oil change. Just use your best judgement and all should be good.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:50 AM
svt2205
Posting Guru
Regardless of when you decide to change the factory oil. Do yourself a favor and get the dealer to do the first change. The factory installed oil filter can be a real bear to loosen.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:06 AM
slc10844
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It isn't the oil that is the problem, its the wear metals from the engine breaking in that become suspended in the oil. The particales are to small for the filter to remove and they keep circulating through the engine. Some say the particles are to small to be a problem. I like to remove them by doing early oil changes on the first couple. 1K-1.5K on the first. About 3K more for the next. After that regular service intervals. On your first oil change drain the oil into a clean pan and inspect what comes out. It will usually have the appearance of metal flake paint.