Old 09-09-2008, 09:02 PM
poppie
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 09-09-2008, 09:23 PM
socalduner
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Of course, as soon as the price start's to drop a little they have to do something to keep them up. The other day I was able to get half a tank for under $100. It's to bad that we have got to a point as to think 20 gallons for under $100 is good!

I guess the only thing to do is

Old 09-09-2008, 09:29 PM
supeRobertduty
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Good
That will give more weight to "Drill,Drill,Drill" in the USA and look for alternative sources quicker.This B.S has to end sometime.
They won't have us over a barrell forever and never underestimate the good old USA when people get mad things Change !

Old 09-11-2008, 11:25 PM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
Saudi Arabia has said that they won't follow production cuts and will pump at capacity. I say good for them.

Mike

Old 09-11-2008, 11:52 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by supeRobertduty
Good
That will give more weight to "Drill,Drill,Drill" in the USA and look for alternative sources quicker.This B.S has to end sometime.
They won't have us over a barrell forever and never underestimate the good old USA when people get mad things Change !
Yes.

This will ultimately push renewable energy forward, permanently crippling the oil companies grasp on everyone...

I worry how long this could really take though, look at all the speculation "Oh my god, were running out of oil !!!"

The only oil we'll run out of is the cheap kind.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:48 AM
msalyer
Senior User
Guess who has the money and will finance most of the "new" energy sources.

My guess is "BIG OIL".

Old 09-12-2008, 06:52 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by msalyer
Guess who has the money and will finance most of the "new" energy sources.

My guess is "BIG OIL".
Nope, 2008 Farm Bill is doing alot of that as most people seen renewables coming from Ag. Not necessarily from corn ethanol or soy bean biodiesel as we know it now, but from what they term "advanced biofuels".

That will give more weight to "Drill,Drill,Drill" in the USA
Of course, you have the sex and drug scandel within the oil industry coming on the other end of the spectrum and how can you trust a regulating industry that uses sex, drugs, and gifts to get contracts? That might slow the "drill, drill, drill" just a tad.

and look for alternative sources quicker.
My biggest fear is that people will want to stop with alternative searchs because we naturally want right now, not some intermediate step to get to the "final" solution. I'm by no means a fan of corn ethanol and soybean biodiesel, but I believe they are necessary evils to get to what we can use and use sustainably, but alot of people don't see it like that for various reasons not just the one I mentioned above. Who knows what will be listed in the 2012(well it could come out between 4-7 yrs from the last one), but that's my biggest concern. Drilling by itself isn't the answer, it helps, but it's not the answer and to those that think it is a final answer that's short sighted.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:05 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Algal Oil Yields ? Yield Data for Oil from Algae Strains, Algae Species with High Oil Yields

Yield of Various Plant Oils

Crop Oil in Liters per hectare

Castor 1413

Sunflower 952

Safflower 779

Palm 5950

Soy 446

Coconut 2689

Algae 100000

Old 09-12-2008, 09:12 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
University of Virginia had an article published about Algae biofuel that was a pretty good read. LS9 and Algae are the ones that I think might do it and Algae has other benefits as well that could help out in other areas if those experiments work out as planned.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:14 AM
jmaskew
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Here's another source of Biofuel: Switchgrass.
Biofuels from Switchgrass: Greener Energy Pastures
This is non-food just like the algae.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:30 PM
King of the Road 04
Senior User
Yes, lets work on alt-fuels without burning up our food supply please.

In the meantime, drill as much as possible, build nuke plants, dig for some coal, including the dirty kind like I have here in PA. I understand the new coal plants can use this "dirty" coal and keep the emissions clean? Or, these plants arent far away?

Just stop burning up the food supply. I heard this is the first time in US history that we are importing grain........

Old 09-12-2008, 01:42 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by King of the Road 04
build nuke plants,
To build one nuke plant if there are no legal hurdles(interest groups that oppose it etc) it will take 12 years from getting the paper work til it becomes operational. That will have to change if you expect nuke plants to be a viable alternative in a rough near time like McCain is proposing. This is according to a man in Michigan were his company is in the process of finishing filing paper work for a new nuke plant and those figures are according to him.

dig for some coal, including the dirty kind like I have here in PA. I understand the new coal plants can use this "dirty" coal and keep the emissions clean? Or, these plants arent far away?
Coal is coal, it's how they extract it determines on if it's clean or dirty. Back to algae they are thinking about using algae to clean up coal emmissions and use the extra emissions to feed the algae and use in order to have more oil to harvest for biodiesel. This is just in the testing phases, but it shows promise. That was also in the U. of V. article I mentioned earlier.

Just stop burning up the food supply. I heard this is the first time in US history that we are importing grain........
That's the first I'm hearing of that. You have a credible source on that one?

Old 09-12-2008, 02:38 PM
poppie
More Turbo
price's around the country at flying J's, Flying J

Old 09-12-2008, 02:48 PM
poppie
More Turbo
Here's a BIO FUEL idea that would cut oil import's and also STOP TAILGATER'S, unlike that great french fry smell from Mc Donald's used oil-- From Manure to Miscanthus: Agronomy Day Deals With Alternative Fuels

Old 09-15-2008, 07:06 PM
King of the Road 04
Senior User
Originally Posted by tex25025

That's the first I'm hearing of that. You have a credible source on that one?

I heard it on a radio/television show from a guy I feel is pretty credible, and I did just look up a Fed document, department of Ag I think, ill have to find it again. This table graph showed grain imports doubling in four years, since 2004.

Oh, and I know nuke plants wont come right online, but if we keep saying that, its just another day, another month, year, years......before any are started.

Quick Reply: Opec cut's production