Sponsored by:

Opec cut's production

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 07:42 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by King of the Road 04
I heard it on a radio/television show from a guy I feel is pretty credible, and I did just look up a Fed document, department of Ag I think, ill have to find it again. This table graph showed grain imports doubling in four years, since 2004.
If you can find that I would like to look at that. The problem that keeps nagging me that keeps me from accepting this premise is that it goes against everything that was setup in the Farm Bill since the '30s. Which was to make sure that we overproduced our ag. commodities and since the vast improvements in technology have been making that easier and easier to do. However, it still could be possible particularly with a very growing population in Asia.

Oh, and I know nuke plants wont come right online, but if we keep saying that, its just another day, another month, year, years......before any are started.
Obsolutely true. Reason why I threw that out there is because there are alot of people that toss around building nuke plants like you just say it and they spring up out of nowhere. Alot of peole just don't know what goes into the process particularly when our country hasn't been cranking out nuke plants in great quantity.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:39 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, lets work on alt-fuels without burning up our food supply please.

Thats why oil from algae is so awesome, it has a much smaller footprint.

It can also be used for directly cleaning emissions from pollution from coal burning power plants, etc.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:08 PM
yukondiesel
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well the scuttlebutt a week or so ago was that OPEC would "defend" at about $90. This seems to be the current break-even point wher alternative energy development ceases.. Kind of short sighted...Join Pickens! Drill as a bridge until alternative technologies put the "oil producing countries" back in the stone age.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:00 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by yukondiesel
Well the scuttlebutt a week or so ago was that OPEC would "defend" at about $90.
They are at a very precarious point. There are actually I believe 3 members(our good friends the Iranians are among that group) that actually would like to defend 100(and tried). However, if they try to cut supplies now when you have demand destruction for their biggest commodity you risk losing in the long run.

Everyone has to keep in mind that once all the economies come back "online", oil is going to go back up and although we might not be at the same point that we were in in July, it will be higher, possibly well over that 100 a barrel mark.

I am hoping that the die is cast and that people will realize that we need alternatives(something though that does not include using our drinking water as an input(such as electric cars if that electricity comes from hydropower)). Now how long that transition takes place I don't know(hopefully not too long) but that will depend on how fast technology advances and how cheap these alternatives are(initially they won't be, but that is the case with everything(remember when VCRs used to cost up to 1k depending on what you got? or computers that were an arm and a leg?)).

Old 09-20-2008, 01:59 PM
King of the Road 04
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tex25025
If you can find that I would like to look at that. The problem that keeps nagging me that keeps me from accepting this premise is that it goes against everything that was setup in the Farm Bill since the '30s. Which was to make sure that we overproduced our ag. commodities and since the vast improvements in technology have been making that easier and easier to do. However, it still could be possible particularly with a very growing population in Asia.

Heres a table from the USDA, theres probably more on their website.

U.S. durum wheat imports: Grain, flour, and products - USDA/ERS

Old 09-21-2008, 06:41 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Heres a table from the USDA, theres probably more on their website.

U.S. durum wheat imports: Grain, flour, and products - USDA/ERS
Ok, your talking about the wheat that the CAIRNS group exports(mainly the Aussies). Now I see what your talking about. Thanks for the graph.