1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locking Differential Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 12:49 PM
Mark W. Ingalls
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locking Differential Thread

I googled "site:www.ford-trucks.com f250 locking differential" with very sparse results (for recently minted trucks, that is).

So, how's about a new thread on the topic?

Experience?

Recomendations?

Stupid idea in the first place?

M.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:18 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
If you need a locker it's one thing, if you don't you might be happier with a limited slip.

The most basic level to it is, Lockers keep the tires locked until you try to turn. You have to unlock one back tire if you wish to make a smooth turn, the out side tire must travel faster than the inside. If it doesn't unlock, then the outside tire has to skip to keep up.

A limited slip acts like an open diff until the it detects enough slip to engage both tires at the same rate.

For a street vehicle I am partial to a limited slip. When I replace my OE LS, it will be with a clutchless LS. Now if I had a racer (street, strip, offroad) I would most likely want a locker to keep as much traction as possible from the start.

Does that help?

Old 08-28-2008, 01:31 PM
mwsF250
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Try searching based on "Sterling Locker"
I believe Detroit, ARB, and Lock-Rite lockers are available, as would be several others.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:57 PM
Mark W. Ingalls
Senior User
Originally Posted by ReAX
<snip>For a street vehicle I am partial to a limited slip. When I replace my OE LS, it will be with a clutchless LS.<snip>
What kind?

For off-road low range crawling, wouldn't I prefer a locking diff?

(New at this, can't ya tell?)

Old 08-28-2008, 03:39 PM
aldridgec
Logistics Pro
Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark W. Ingalls
What kind?

Yes, and probably an air or electric locker at that, vs an automatic locker like a Detroit Sof locker or gearless locker (if they still have those).

I had an ez locker once in my 00 7700 and it was very noisy making turns, it sounded like I was going up a roller coaster. However, the detroits are much quieter, usually they pop or clunk occasionally when the unlock to make a turn.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:45 PM
Mark W. Ingalls
Senior User
Originally Posted by mwsF250
Try searching based on "Sterling Locker"
Thanks; this I did do and it turns out there is a sub-forum here for 4x4 and off-road.

I got enough info start the thought process.

M.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:04 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark W. Ingalls
What kind?

Details, details, details, details.

So what are you planning on using the truck for? How stock is the suspension? How big are your tires? Do you plan on towing with this setup?

Old 08-28-2008, 04:44 PM
Mark W. Ingalls
Senior User
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
Details, details, details, details.

So what are you planning on using the truck for? How stock is the suspension? How big are your tires? Do you plan on towing with this setup?
Precisely, t^2_d--

Right now I'm in the conceptual thinking stage. I have a bone stock 2006 FX4 with a Four Wheel Camper "Hawk" installed. I tow a single axle trailer loaded with tools almost every weekend.

We like to travel to out-of-the-way places, such as *North* Padre Island National Seashore, Big Bend NP, and so on.

We previously had a 1998 F150 4x4, which was not enough truck (had to send ourselves a postcard to stop with the trailer, and it sometimes got lost in the mail!)

I'm really just poking around asking questions at this stage to learn stuff.

Thanks!

P.S.: These look interesting: Detroit Tru Trac ...maybe?

Last edited by Mark W. Ingalls; 08-28-2008 at 04:52 PM. Reason: P.S.: __
Old 08-28-2008, 05:09 PM
Ace!
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Detroit True Trac is a limited slip differential (LSD), so it won't lock up like a locker/spool; however, for a limited slip it is a very nice one. It is gear-based, not clutch-based, so it doesn't wear out like a clutch based limited slip. A True Trac in the front and rear will take you places you shouldn't have gone. You can get into the bush further than you should have (if I had a nickel for every time I found myself in that situation) .

Old 08-28-2008, 05:34 PM
JST2CRZY
Junior User
I have ARB air lockers and could not be more satisfied. Dead reliable, no noise. Am running them with 5:13 gears and 44's

Bill

Old 08-29-2008, 01:48 AM
ReAX
Post Fiend
yes, I was thinking trutrac as well for the rear. If I hit the lottery, I would do an E-locker or ARB in the front. I am not particularly fond of the ARB, I just see a lot of room for failure in the air setup. Perhaps they have better quality than I give them credit and don't work with near the pressures I am familiar with, but just like those mini lockers I don't trust them to be bullet proof.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:28 AM
Mark W. Ingalls
Senior User
What about "tru trac" for the front and more aggressive control for the rear?

Or don't I need to worry so much about the front, since I'm only intending on (relatively) mild terrain?

Returning to the "intended use" question, We're intending to use the truck for adventure travel and camping, not for wall-climbing. The truck will see about 80% pavement and only about 2% of no road at all. The other 18% of the time we'll be following relatively well-traveled National Park Service -type trails. Don't hold me to those estimates, though.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:41 AM
ReAX
Post Fiend
I think you might be better off investing in a LS and a come-along. Being able to lock all four wheels is really nice if you have to be somewhere you shouldn't drive. I think a front LS and rear locker will be over kill for you, but there is nothing wrong with over kill it's just hard on the wallet. Figure each LS/Locker will run you $400-500, without a gear change look for the install to be $100-200 each. Your easily looking at a grand that you expect to be helpful 2% of the time if that.

With decent driving skills and some maturity, a rear LS will take you anywhere you should go and some places you shouldn't. It could be because I've grown up or I just don't like putting extra work into my 16 hours of cleaning, but I use 4 wheel drive any time I think a wheel will spin. There is nothing wrong with getting all the available traction.

It's completely up to you since only you know how you drive, where you drive and the conditions. However, keep in mind that the commonly traveled trails will probably have a passer-by that is willing to lend a hand if you get too adventurous. Plus if you have available anchors, a winch might come in more handy for similar money.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:08 AM
Ace!
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For me, I would put a True Trac in the front. If you want to spend the money, I think it's money well spent if you'll be off the pavement. Even if there is a little mud, silt, snow, you'll have a much easier time getting through it with a True Trac up front. You'll want at least a True Trac in the rear, and I would do that first if you don't already have the stock limited slip. True Tracs front and rear do really well offroad, and by offroad I mean most situations where all four wheels are on the ground.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:38 AM
3000 FPS
Elder User
I put a true trac in my F-250 for when I am off road hunting. It works great.

Quick Reply: Locking Differential Thread