1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

fuel delivery issues?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 09:36 AM
55effie
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel delivery issues?????

Alright...trying to get the truck on the road for this weekend. would like to take a nice ride through the country since the weather is supposed to be nice. Not to mention so the girlfriend can finally get a ride in it and understand it's not a waste of time or money

My fuel pump died ( 1955 f100 y-block) PO had fuel line out of bottom tank to juction switch line out of tank behind seat to same switch. ( to toggle between tanks.) I by-passed cab mounted tank to prep for removal. ran straight line from tank under truck to fuel pump from fuel pump on i left alone(it worked before...figured it would be ok.) the fuel line coming out of the pump routes from under vehicle up to drivers fender(in engine bay) at that point it runs through what appears to be another pump. Possibly a helper for the pump under the vehicle? sorry no pics...but if anyone can roughly explain how theirs is set up or how i could set mine up from scratch it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks guys

Old 08-22-2008, 10:17 AM
55effie
Freshman User
Bump for a response? any insight on how i would run lines/pump moutning starting from scratch?

Old 08-22-2008, 01:41 PM
OldgreenF1
Elder User
A pic would help of the fuel pump or pumps

Old 08-22-2008, 04:55 PM
Cyruscosmo
Senior User
The fuel system I use for my trucks is as follows. From the pickup tube to a frame mounted spin on water separator filter. From that main filter to the pump, which is an AC delco unit out of a 65 or so chevy/gmc truck. I don't have it's stock numbers here at work but the pump is a rotary vain unit, which runs constantly. With it mounted on the frame just behind the transfer case under the bed next to the filter you can not hear it even with the engine off. From the pump through a brass T which I have modified with a light weight spring and ball to be a regulator. The majority of the fuel comes out of the tank through the filters to the T and then back to the tank. About 5 PSI worth go through an EFI filter to the carburetor. I have been running this setup on my 69 F250 4X4 for about 11 years. I only had to replace the pump once and that was more due to the tree trunk I tried to run over than any mechanical problems. ;-)

The reason I built this system in the first place is a "water in the gas line" problem I had once which left me scratching my head on a frozen mountain one winter. After that I figured that water in my gas was NOT a good idea so I made this setup to continually move the water out of the tank to the trap in the separator filter. Never had another frozen line and no rust in the tank since then either.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:03 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 55effie
Alright...trying to get the truck on the road for this weekend. would like to take a nice ride through the country since the weather is supposed to be nice. Not to mention so the girlfriend can finally get a ride in it and understand it's not a waste of time or money

My fuel pump died ( 1955 f100 y-block) PO had fuel line out of bottom tank to juction switch line out of tank behind seat to same switch. ( to toggle between tanks.) I by-passed cab mounted tank to prep for removal. ran straight line from tank under truck to fuel pump from fuel pump on i left alone(it worked before...figured it would be ok.) the fuel line coming out of the pump routes from under vehicle up to drivers fender(in engine bay) at that point it runs through what appears to be another pump. Possibly a helper for the pump under the vehicle? sorry no pics...but if anyone can roughly explain how theirs is set up or how i could set mine up from scratch it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks guys
I think the reason folks are slow to respond is that we are having a lot of difficulty understanding your setup (at least I am).

How many tanks do you have?
How many pumps do you have?
Which pump died? Stock diaphragm? or electric?
Where is the tank you want to use located? (How far from the engine is it)?
Are you asking for a simple setup? (1 tank, 1 pump, no tees, etc)?

We're here to help.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:24 PM
Cyruscosmo
Senior User
It would appear that he has two fuel tanks a tank selector valve and two electric fuel pumps. He has bypassed the tank in the cab by removing the tank selector valve as he is going to remove the "in cab tank" and running the line from the "in frame tank" only. It looks as though he has an electric pump somewhere under the vehicle pushing fuel to another fuel pump on the inner fender, then from there to the engine? Or does it go to the engines mechanical fuel pump?

Anyway you don't need two fuel pumps. One pump on the frame close to the tank is fine as long as you use a good quality pump, like the one I mentioned above. I would suggest using a water separator filter as well just before the pump. The mechanical pump on the engine will work fine in that arrangement as well but may take a while to prime after you have run out of fuel.

I opted to discontinue the use of the mechanical pump and use the electric only with the recalculating setup I described in the above post above. One of the advantages is that unless you know how to activate the pump the truck is not going very far. Actually about 2 hundred yards is all it will move without the pump running. This truck has a 600CFM Holley on a 429 with carved blocks of aluminum inside the float bowls to reduce the amount of fuel in the bowl to less than half what they usually hold. The fuel line is three eight's inch from the regulator to the carburetor and the needle has been replaced with a higher flow unit. It will start to starve on fuel at about 80mph but 70 is the max so it's all I need anyway.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:43 PM
55effie
Freshman User
Thanks....i am a little scatter brained when it comes to explanations....

frame mounted tank 3/8 hose to inline filter-filter to electric fuel pump(frame mounted about 10inches from tank)-3/8 line from pump to filter in engine bay-from engine bay filter to carb....

This set-up should work in theory...i really appreciate the time spent to determine what i was trying to convey to you....

Thanks for the help!!!!

Old 08-23-2008, 04:08 PM
Cyruscosmo
Senior User
The setup you just described sounds like it will work fine. Just make sure the power to the electric pump is to the key ignition on only terminal.

I am not sure what the weather is like where you live but a good water trap filter combo in the line can save a few headaches down the road. It does not freeze here often but it only took standing out in the middle of nowhere trying to defrost a gas line with a Bic lighter "once" for me to make sure that never happened again. And I have a 4X4 to boot, they are a lot easier to get under than a 2X