1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Transmission and torque converter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 08:47 PM
whiteaddiction
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission and torque converter?

OK, This quetion starts with the fact that my trans is still good and I believe it was replaced by the dealer before I bought, Whether you believe that or not lets say trans work great. Now I have also heard that since I put a chip and stage 1 injectors I should expect to replace my trany soon, But I don't have that kind of money and I don't want to replace it until it goes anyway. So the quetion is, is it worth putting a good torque converter and shift kit in this trans or is it a waste of money to try to make this one hold up? What do you guys think? I am only planning one more up grade and that is an upgraded HPOP.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:50 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the converter would be a waste at this point, you would be removing the tranny to install it. then if your tranny does grenade you will have metal go throughout your new converter.

my opinion, get a good shift kit. when the tranny does finaly go then get a converter to match your built tranny

Old 08-19-2008, 06:25 AM
MADVAN
Postmaster
It depends on how you use your truck.
Next to heat the single disk tc is the next most common
reason for a trans failure. Ford themself even upgraded to
multi disk clutch in latter years.
A tc can be rebuilt if needed, just sometimes its not cost effective.
Depends on tc used.
I have no problem with hanging a new tc on a old unit as an upgade
to prolong the life of the unit.
The year of your unit plays a factor in what internal upgrades it might
or might not have in it.

Bill

Old 08-19-2008, 02:07 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

I would say do the TC and shift kit. A blow trans can clutter up a TC but a grenaded TC can grenade a trans as well.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:58 PM
grantpage
Senior User
I bought my 95 psd(with 144k miles), with the trans not working. The transmission guy said that the tc went out and the metal fragments from the tc went through the trans and tore just about everything up. So I had to do a complete rebuild. The previous owner noticed the tc leaking and did not do anything about it.

What I am getting at is that a new tc could have saved a lot of cash, if it was replaced prior to explosion.

I am sure this is not the case with all psd's, but I am sure mine is not the only one that had this problem.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:20 PM
glasseater
Posting Guru
i'd say wait for it go... once it goes then replace it all with built stuff, not worth the risk of a trans blowing and destroying a shiny new TC when you could've just waited it out adn got all new stuff in one hit and helped your wallet live a little longer... i've also heard that if you throw a new TC in then it'll lock too easily and the trans will slip more.... just my $.02

Old 08-20-2008, 02:38 PM
whiteaddiction
Senior User
I was thinking more like MADVAN, I dont have money to biuld a tranny, And if it does go it will be out of service for a long time until I have money to throw into it, But spending about 600 now for TC is better then just letting this tranny go to waste and spending 5000 on a built tranny.