Sponsored by: DP Tuner

exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 09:09 PM
DieselBeast01
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
exhaust

Im looking into buying an exhaust system for my truck. I have heard that exhaust is one of the best things that you can get for your truck. I have heard good and bad things about a five inch system, but despite the bad things i have heard like the compression rating, and other things, I would really like to get a five inch system. Should i get the five inch like I want, or just bite the bullet and get a four inch system? Also other than the looks, should I get the duels or does it matter as far as performance goes.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:37 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gene had posted a thread about some of the bigger exhaust actually not being beneficial. I just ordered a 4" at a great price.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:06 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Once you go above 4", you don't gain any performance. You just get a mean as hell exhaust sound that's very distinct. If you want 5", go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:44 PM
camodown
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselBeast01
Im looking into buying an exhaust system for my truck. I have heard that exhaust is one of the best things that you can get for your truck. I have heard good and bad things about a five inch system, but despite the bad things i have heard like the compression rating, and other things, I would really like to get a five inch system. Should i get the five inch like I want, or just bite the bullet and get a four inch system? Also other than the looks, should I get the duels or does it matter as far as performance goes.

I'd get what you want, otherwise you will always be unhappy with your purchase... Sounds like you want a 5". I would go with the 5. I have the factory on it now with no muffler and dumping in front of the tire and like it, but have friends with 5" exhausts and they sound good too...

Old 07-22-2008, 10:51 PM
randomhero1172
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a 5" straight piped system. It sounds Great. Everyone stares in my ritzy area like "what is that demon spawned machine" lol.... It sounds even better with a air intake modification (6637) and a wicked wheel ("downgrade" to a 99 wheel which is louder but HELPS eliminate surge while towing)

Old 07-23-2008, 09:40 AM
DieselBeast01
Posting Guru
Thanks a lot guys I think I'm gonna go with the 5", but do duel exhaust serve any purpose other than looks?

Old 07-23-2008, 09:44 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
The duels won't serve any purpose other than aesthetics. Once you go down to a single pipe opening back up to a dual pipe does very little. In fact even on a 5" system, the down pipe is still 4" so in essence the 5" is still just for a different sound and the look. For the record, I am pretty much sold on getting a 5 inch as well. I think they are bad azz.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:25 AM
DieselBeast01
Posting Guru
yes they are extremely bad azz...Somebody on the forum has a picture of their 5 inch exhaust with a beer can sitting inside it...lol... what could be better than diesel trucks and beer...but yes i had realized that the five inch would essentially be a 4 from the turbo then go into a larger pipe. Is there really that much difference in the sound between a 5 and a 4...and what brand name would you guys suggest and where can I get the lowest price.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:27 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
When I do it, I am more than likely going to go with an aluminized version from MBRP. I am not sure exactly who has the lowest price on them though. I am not quite ready to pull the trigger on it so i haven't done too much research.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:29 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Originally Posted by HKusp
When I do it, I am more than likely going to go with an aluminized version from MBRP. I am not sure exactly who has the lowest price on them though. I am not quite ready to pull the trigger on it so i haven't done too much research.
Give Nate a call or look at his site. Bought mine from him and it was the lowest price I found.

Performance Truck Products LLC - Diesel and Gas Performance Parts and Accessories

Old 07-23-2008, 11:35 AM
DieselBeast01
Posting Guru
i have been looking into mbrp and its starting to look as if that is what i will be getting. Has anyone ever had a muffler shop build an exhaust for their truck and is it more expensive than buying on or cheaper.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:41 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
i have been looking into mbrp and its starting to look as if that is what i will be getting. Has anyone ever had a muffler shop build an exhaust for their truck and is it more expensive than buying on or cheaper.
Yes, I did. It was more expensive than a DIY kits shipped to the house. They didn't want to mess with the downpipe so basically it would have been a 4" system from the tranny support back, not the turbo back like the MBRP kit. Not hard at all to install either, lots of PB blaster and a SawZall.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:42 PM
That_Just_Happened
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eBay Motors: MBRP 5" Exhaust 99 00 01 02 03 Ford F250 F250 7.3 (item 280246895858 end time Jul-26-08 10:17:49 PDT)

this is where i got my 5in system...the only problem i had was with ups because i wasn't home when they were trying to deliver it. Everything was great...it all comes to with shipping and handling to just under 500 i believe. It was the cheapest i could find and all the hardware to get that monster up under your truck is included.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:18 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Ponyboychris
Give Nate a call or look at his site. Bought mine from him and it was the lowest price I found.

Performance Truck Products LLC - Diesel and Gas Performance Parts and Accessories
That comes to $486 to my door for aluminized with no tip added. Thats a good price, thanks.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:20 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
I too looked into having a custom set-up done. Over the phone they started at $700 and went up from there. I didn't go any further than that.

Quick Reply: exhaust