Sponsored by: DP Tuner

1st trip towing 5th wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 11:22 AM
00Dave
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
1st trip towing 5th wheel

We took our 1st trip towing the 5th wheel this last weekend. (Note to self: Find some way to get internet, FTE withdrawals) We were about an hour into the trip when my wife starts talking about reading somewhere that we should have a transmission temp. gauge. I told her that it is highly recommended to have a set of gauges that are pillar mounted and at the least I should have trans, egt, boosht gauges. I also told her that I plan on doin' them but was waitin' til I had enough money. I spent my money on Bilstein's and a Walker BTM already. She said that we really need to get them if we're gonna be towing this around. I told her sounds like a graet idea, I'm glad you found out about needin' them. Anyway, had a good trip until the blowout on the trailer on the way home. Tore up some stuff under the slide. If I can post a pic I will. It looks really cool with the truck, a 30' 5th wheel, and 2 Sea doos.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:26 AM
03_PSD
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like a good trip except for the blow out. pics would be great. awsome you wife wants you to get gauges, my wife hates it when i spend mulla on the truck.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:27 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WOW, you have a great woman there. If only you would have thought of getting gauges. Hurry and order them before she changes her mind.

Glad you had a good trip, except for the flat.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:28 AM
WILDMAN_Stroker*7.3
Senior User
Dang that sounds like a plan, I get right on it, OK another mod it the works.LOL I think you should buy her some roses for such a great ideal.

Glad the trip whent well until the blow out on the trailer. What lake were you at in OKLA.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:30 AM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Its funny you mention this. On my 01 we have gauges but on our 04 witch is the towing rig we don't. And on the way home from our last trip my Mom started talking about this. I love it. Also congrants on the good tow except the blow out!

Old 07-21-2008, 11:56 AM
00Dave
Posting Guru
Mike,
We went to Eufaula. Stayed in the Belle Starr campground. It's about 2 hours from home.
Thanks guys and yes, the blowout did suck. Tore some electrical wiring out of the slide and wrapped around the axle, tore out some support brackets for the wheel skirt and siding, don't know for sure what else underneath since we were on the side of I-40 changing the tire. The tread also hit one Sea doo and the trailer and tore one of the tie down straps off the back.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:38 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Trailer blow outs are no fun. Sorry to hear. Been there, done that.

On a lighter note, get those gauges and anything else she gives you the green light on. My wife didn't bat an eye when I mentioned it because we've had too many vacations ruined by breakdowns. At least now, I can see stuff happening and try (I do mean, TRY) to avoid problems before they happen.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:43 PM
huntke
Senior User
I know what you mean about the blowouts. We have had three the last four times we have been out, two on the camper, and just this past weekend on the truck. Good news is the camper is only a year old and they are suppose to be sending us new ones for that at least.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:10 PM
WILDMAN_Stroker*7.3
Senior User
Dave
I have some land over in Sallisaw, I need to take a trip up to one of these days.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:46 PM
00Dave
Posting Guru
I guess blowouts are my thing this year. I had 2 on July 7th while hauling a load of calves to the OKC Stockyards. Guess how many spares we had? One. It is really difficult to find someone to get tires from and have them mounted on a Sunday evening at 7. I finally found someone that would mount the tires if I could find someone to sell me some. I got a manager at a Wal-Mart to sell me 2 tires and had the other guy come pick them up and mount them.

Now, on the gauges, what is the best bang for the buck? I am thinking pillar mount tranny, egt, boosht. any thoughts?

Old 07-21-2008, 01:48 PM
00Dave
Posting Guru
By the way Mike, Sallisaw area is some pretty country. Not far from Eufaula Lake and Tenkiller Lake.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:51 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Try here:

Diesel Performance at DieselManor, Inc. - Taking the Mystery out of Diesel Performance™

I actually bought my first 2 from somewhere else but bought matching ones from Diesel Manor.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:56 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

If you are thinking DP-TUNER in the future, get the 4 pod kit. That way you can install the switch in one of the holes. Wish the new switch was out when I did my gauges.

I also have ISSPRO from Diesel Manor.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:26 PM
00Dave
Posting Guru
Cool. Hey Rick, do you have the pillar mount gauges? I looked at the link that Chris posted and saw the 4 gauge pod for above the rear view mirror and am curious if anyone has that and if they like them?

Old 07-21-2008, 03:42 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Originally Posted by 00Dave
Cool. Hey Rick, do you have the pillar mount gauges? I looked at the link that Chris posted and saw the 4 gauge pod for above the rear view mirror and am curious if anyone has that and if they like them?

Dave, take a look at this thread. We discussed the overhead kit with Mike. Most people will tell you to do the pillar mount. click here

Quick Reply: 1st trip towing 5th wheel