Arizona Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

I saw the nicest Ford

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 02:25 AM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I saw the nicest Ford

This evening the wife & I were headed down the main drag in town. At the only stop light in town I was stopped when a pre 1973 F250 4x4 was crossing on the green. There was something that perked my head it was a diesel, no power stroke that I knew, so I followed it out to where it turned into a ranch. I pulled up and said I heard that diesel can I see what you are running. Well he said sure. Well, I stepped back to my early days as a mechanic when he opened the hood. I couldn't believe my eyes. What I was looking at was a completely restored 1967 Ford F250 4x4 powered by a real diesel with a 4 speed, gear vendor, with a splitter. In front was a TURBO 3-53 Detroit Diesel. Why this takes me back to my early days as a mechanic. I worked for Mentzer Detroit Diesel in Reno Nv. They were the first Detroit Diesel Distributor to install diesels in pickup trucks. 4-53s & 3-53s both natural & turbo models. Fords were the trucks that were the best for these conversions because in the 60s-70s Ford had the least repairs of any truck on the market. They were also the heaviest duty of any truck on the market. Today, Ford isn't even close to the superior status they had up until about 1979. The cost if I remember right to get the Detroit installed was about $1000/cylinder for the new engine, & about $3000 labor. A lot of money in the early 70s. But Mentzer was booked for several years doing these conversions.
Anyway, the truck has over 600,000 miles. It has been completely restored in the last couple of years. It was a real treat to see it. The guy that owns it also worked for Mentzer. A TRUE PIECE OF HISTORY.
Craig

Old 07-06-2008, 09:05 AM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,797 Likes on 1,162 Posts
ok it is a double post, It has been a busy weekend and I thought I was losing my mind here.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:58 AM
AzBlueWolf
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
better hold onto your mind there, Bart, Yer gonna need it for a few more years!

Sounds likeyou spent some time chatting with the Owner Craig!

Did you get any pics?

Mark

Old 07-06-2008, 05:08 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Smile

Originally Posted by AzBlueWolf
better hold onto your mind there, Bart, Yer gonna need it for a few more years!

Sounds likeyou spent some time chatting with the Owner Craig!

Did you get any pics?

Mark
Mark,

First sorry about the double post. I'm not sure how I did that. It surprised me when I saw the double post.
No pictures, I'm sure I can get some one day. The owner works for the school district as a bus mechanic. I met him a few years ago at the school. Real nice guy.
Craig

Old 07-06-2008, 05:23 PM
AzBlueWolf
Post Fiend
I carry a camera in the truck all the time...

but when it gets up over 105 i dont take my good camera...

sometimes I even forget I have that...

they have a few camera phones nowadays that are in the 5 mp zone

unfortunately, verizon only has a 3.2 mp camera phone =/

but when you get a chance, i'd be nice to see what the engine compartment looks like!!

Mark

Old 07-07-2008, 01:53 AM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Mark,

I also carry a camera in our vehicle. I'll see what I can do about getting a picture. There is a lot of left over room. The Detroit Diesel is high but short. 3-53 is a 3 cylinder as I'm sure you know. Weight was the reason only 3 & 4 Cylinders were used, The Detroit is a true diesel a sleeved engine.
Next time I see him I'll ask if he will let me take a couple of pictures to post. One thing in rural Nevada people don't take to kindly to people pulling up that they don't know & taking pictures. We got to talking & realized we knew many of the same people. He & his wife were returning from fishing & my wife & I were headed to dinner. So taking pictures weren't on my mind. I never thought there would be anyone really interested to see one. But I'll make an effort to see if I can get a couple for you. It won't be for a week or so. We are busy with several projects right now.

Craig

Old 07-08-2008, 08:35 AM
bigunred
Elder User
Great post alotta people didnt even know this was an option in fords of that vintage. Again good lookin out for the old iron.

Old 07-12-2008, 04:19 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Smile

Originally Posted by bigunred
Great post alotta people didnt even know this was an option in fords of that vintage. Again good lookin out for the old iron.
It wasn't an option from FORD or any manufacture. It was started by Menzler Detroit Diesel in Reno NV. In around 1972. It was amazing how many people wanted the conversion. Trucks came from all over the U.S. to have them do these conversions. This was the very start of Diesels in pick-up trucks. Dodge did offer a Perkins I believe in the mid 70s for a year or two. But they were under powered. They were a 6 cyl inline. These Detroit's will out pull any of the diesels today just not as fast, but they are proven to go well over a million miles before a rebuild.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:20 AM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Smile

Mark,

These are for you I hope they come up. I forgot how to post pictures on here. If not they are in my gallery.

Craig

Attached Images   
Old 07-26-2008, 07:59 AM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,797 Likes on 1,162 Posts
that is sweet.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:46 AM
AzBlueWolf
Post Fiend
Awesome ride...

600,000 miles, you said?

Old 07-26-2008, 10:55 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
The guy that owns this truck is the one that did the conversion. He worked in the fab shop at Mentzer Detroit Diesel in the 70s. doing these conversions. His son also has one they are restoring. So this is one of the ORIGINAL CONVERSIONS done in the day. It as you can see is restored but is a daily driver & work truck.

The sweet thing about this is it is a FORD with GM diesel power. Detroit in those days was owned by General Motors.

BLAZERGUY
AKA: Craig

Old 07-27-2008, 12:01 AM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kermmydog
The guy that owns this truck is the one that did the conversion. He worked in the fab shop at Mentzer Detroit Diesel in the 70s. doing these conversions. His son also has one they are restoring. So this is one of the ORIGINAL CONVERSIONS done in the day. It as you can see is restored but is a daily driver & work truck.

The sweet thing about this is it is a FORD with GM diesel power. Detroit in those days was owned by General Motors.

BLAZERGUY
Craig.....it's "BLAZER BOY" get it right

Old 07-27-2008, 01:43 AM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Red face

Originally Posted by UP_There
Craig.....it's "BLAZER BOY" get it right
I'm a sad case. I can't even get my nickname or name right.

BLAZER BOY

PS Thanks, for correcting me. I'll try to do better.