General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Yellow fly bites - need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 09:08 AM
spikedog
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yellow fly bites - need some advice

Every time I visit my Dad in North Carolina (Southport), I get at least 2 yellow fly bites. I must be allergic to these pesky critters, because the bite swells up something awful, and takes months to disappear. My wife gets bites that last about a week too.

I read about some homespun cures on the web - fresh-cut onion juice and Preparation H applied to new bites. Do these work? Is there something better?

Old 07-02-2008, 10:34 AM
freirefishing
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wear light colored clothing. Deer flies are attracted to dark colors that are moving. Wearing dark colors on warm sunny days draws the deer flies to you.
Step2Protect your head with a light colored baseball cap or other hat. Deer flies are known for going after the head and scalp to bite. When they get under your hair it can be difficult for you to get at them to remove them.
Step3Cover as much exposed skin as possible. Wearing long sleeve shirts and long pants with tapered fitting cuffs and ankles limits the amount of skin exposed for deer fly bites. Gloves can also be helpful.
Step4Use an insect repellent than containes Deet to prevent deer flies from biting you. Apply the Deet to all exposed areas of skin including your face and neck. Use care not to get it in your eyes. Apply the repellent to your clothing as well.
Step5Purchase a nylon head net which covers your head, neck and face. Head nets allow for clear vision while providing a physical barrier to prevent deer flies from being able to bite.

take some benedryl if your allergic to the bite. i dont know if there is any home remedies to help aleviate the bite. use some ice on it to help with the swelling

Old 07-03-2008, 03:10 AM
Layed Out 100
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not shure if it works with yellow flys but put a piece of fabric softener in your hat. Yea the same one you use for drying clothes. I know knats hate them and those little things will bit the crap out of you too. Sand Knats are bad down here. Whats the worst could come of it? you would even smell good trying it out.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:16 AM
spikedog
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure if the clothing recommendations are applicable, since I usually get bit walking back from the beach through the dunes. I think they hide out in the vegetation along the boardwalks.