Sponsored by: DP Tuner

6637 and filter minder

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 07:44 PM
pf350
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6637 and filter minder

Sooo, feeling smart I installed the filter minder in the intake pipe by drilling an 11/32 hole in the rubber and jamming it into the hole, it is a pretty tight fit but I am hoping I just didn't create a spot for dirt to enter. Just for feed back am I dumb or creative?

Old 05-31-2008, 07:51 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If it fit tight and you feel there is no air leak then you should be ok. If you want to check for a leak you could take an insence stick and see if the smoke goes into the hole that you installed the filter minder.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:21 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I've read that others who did that used a little bit of silicone before installing the bushing to make sure of a airtight seal.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:35 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
By installing the FilterMinder where you did, you have greatly increased the chances for an erroneous reading, as the air rushing by creates a vacuum due to the Bernoulli effect.

It's easier to read, but it's not a good place to monitor a vacuum inside the filter.

Read from post #14 to post #25 in this thread:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/3...r-problem.html

Pop

Old 06-01-2008, 01:21 AM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
By installing the FilterMinder where you did, you have greatly increased the chances for an erroneous reading, as the air rushing by creates a vacuum due to the Bernoulli effect.

It's easier to read, but it's not a good place to monitor a vacuum inside the filter.

Read from post #14 to post #25 in this thread:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/3...r-problem.html

Pop
Actually, placing a filter minder at the end of a 6637 filter is incorrect, and you'll get no meaningful restriction readings there!

The following quote is from post #45 of this thread...

Getting ready to do some 6637 testing.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...testing-3.html

Originally Posted by Tenn01PSD350
...Well I am back. It is official, there is little to no vacuum to be had at the far end of the 6637 filter because that's just the way it is from my measurements. It seemed obvious to me there would be little there but I didn't imagine that little. I want to thank Gene for talking me into mounting it there despite my doubts and the fact that he has already accepted credit for that move. That has been TESTED.

All filter minders are placed downstream of the filter in the intake tract for an obvious reason now, not just because that is what is called for on the Donaldson Fleetrite site.

I have moved the source of my tap back to the connection at the 6637 and the intake. I made a quick run down the street to a small hill. With no load, getting on it only slightly in the 80e setting I observed, roughly, at 15psi and 2.8k rpms, I was getting about 9" of water. Alas, now it is time to do some serious testing....
You can also check page 4 (the last one) on this link to the DONALDSON site for a pic of the proper location of a filter minder. "Service Indicator Location... For proper restriction readings, a restriction fitting tap must be located between the engine intake and filter outlet neck. The tap should be located in a straight section of the intake pipe at least one pipe diameter away from the manifold or any bends, elbows or reducers."

http://www.donaldson.com/en/catalogs/engine/033621.pdf

Old 06-01-2008, 06:18 AM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With the 6637 I see zero use for a filter minder. A simple looksee will tell you whether it is time for a new filter or not. The designer's orginal purpose of the filter minder was so you did not have to open the air box to inspect the filter.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:56 AM
machmedic
Laughing Gas
Received 106 Likes on 61 Posts
I put mine in the same spot. More so for just to have someplace to put it so it wont get damaged just dangleling.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:21 AM
greedy737
Elder User
Don't need it! Get one of Pete's covers. When it gets dirty wash it!!!

Old 06-01-2008, 08:45 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,211 Posts
i put the filterminder in the rubber tube i used to connect to the 6637. mostly to keep it from flopping around.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:08 AM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Markadeck
With the 6637 I see zero use for a filter minder. A simple looksee will tell you whether it is time for a new filter or not. The designer's orginal purpose of the filter minder was so you did not have to open the air box to inspect the filter.
It appears from your post that you either didn't bother to click and read the DONALDSON link I gave, or you think you know more about the 6637 filter than the DONALDSON engineers who designed them and wrote the following service recommendation...

Servicing Tips:

• Do NOT judge the filter on the basis of visual inspection! If it’s doing its job, it should look dirty. Filter life is longer than you may think. Change the filter only when restriction readings indicate.

• Do NOT leave the inlet ducting exposed any longer than necessary (a few minutes) during service.

It turns out that the reverse can also occur, i. e., the filter can appear to be clean enough for continued use according to someone's arbitrary standard of cleanliness, but a properly installed restriction gauge will indicate that the filter is too restricted for safe use.

These 6637 filters have been known to collapse when restricted, and the ONLY safe way to monitor their status is with a properly installed restriction gauge!

Old 06-01-2008, 10:13 AM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
Originally Posted by ernesteugene
It appears from your post that you either didn't bother to click and read the DONALDSON link I gave, or you think you know more about the 6637 filter than the DONALDSON engineers who designed them and wrote the following service recommendation...

Servicing Tips:

• Do NOT judge the filter on the basis of visual inspection! If it’s doing its job, it should look dirty. Filter life is longer than you may think. Change the filter only when restriction readings indicate.

• Do NOT leave the inlet ducting exposed any longer than necessary (a few minutes) during service.

It turns out that the reverse can also occur, i. e., the filter can appear to be clean enough for continued use according to someone's arbitrary standard of cleanliness, but a properly installed restriction gauge will indicate that the filter is too restricted for safe use.

These 6637 filters have been known to collapse when restricted, and the ONLY safe way to monitor their status is with a properly installed restriction gauge!

Thanx for the information, but there's a real good chance I never saw your post or link.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:23 AM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Markadeck
Thanx for the information, but there's a real good chance I never saw your post or link.
The link is in post #5, just above your post # 6.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:22 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
It seems somewhat simplistic for Donaldson to recommend a probe be located in the air stream without also indicating that it has to be a "properly shaped" probe, in a location to be properly tested for neutrality. That means it has to be a true "static" probe, one that does not read any Bernoulli effect. Is it safe to say that Mike's testing for Gene last year did not take that into account?

Additionally, since Donaldson doesn't provide any port for a restriction gauge on their filters themselves, and it's obvious they endorse the use of one, where else could they recommend one be installed, even though directly across the medium is optimum?

Despite the Donaldson recommendation, I still believe the best place to measure differential air pressure across the 6637 is from within the filter itself to the ambient air directly outside the filter. I'll concede that the end plate may not be optimum, and a port extension a few inches into the center of the area inside the filter would be theoretically better.

It's something I can do with some plastic plumbing fittings some day that I haven't anything else to do. But, keep in mind that the additional plumbing is something that could work loose and "go wrong", so it won't be very high on my list.....

In the meantime, unless one has a pure static port in their intake ducting, by keeping the FilterMinder plumbing out of the airstream, I maintain that I have as accurate, if not more so, restriction readings.

YMMV.

Bottom line: I continue to use a FilterMinder with my 6637, as I believe it is the best indicator of a filter's true condition (barring mechanical failure).

Pop

Old 06-01-2008, 11:27 AM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
Once again I will apologize for bypassing Ernies post. But my Cat runs a filter that is identical to the 6637 but is at least 5 times as large and costs nearly 100 bucks. I've owned this motor home for 21 years, it has a factory installed minder, that's not budged in 21 years. I watch the date and mileage from the last time I installed a new filter and do so when I think it's required.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:21 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
No disrespect to Gene or the others, but I'm with Mark on this. My filter minder never worked properly with my stock set up so I don't use it with the 6637.

I noticed a big drop in MPG's and noticeable power difference only to discover my stock filter was about 70% plugged up with dirt. The filter minder never moved. Ever since I've relied on visual inspections.

Quick Reply: 6637 and filter minder