Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

6637 and filter minder

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Joe's Creations
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't see how the filterminder can work as it was designed with the 6637 filter; it was not made to work with it. The air flow is much different than that of the stock intake, don’t think you would be comparing apples to apples due to the increased air flow.

I just left mine off... don’t see the need for it.

Just my 0.02

Old 06-01-2008, 11:23 PM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
... one that does not read any Bernoulli effect. Is it safe to say that Mike's testing for Gene last year did not take that into account?...
Well that's most certainly not a safe assumption, but it does indicate that you didn't bother to click on my reference link, because if you had you would've seen an extensive discussion of "Bernoulli's Principle", and why it has at most a second order effect on the accuracy of Tenn's CFM vs restriction measurements which employed a simple right angle fitting at the neck of the 6637 filter, which is also the correct placement for a filter minder to get the correct reading to monitor filter restriction. From post #65...
Originally Posted by ernesteugene
...I calculated a slight pressure drop using "Bernoulli's Principle" for flow through a straight pipe, and it introduces at most a slight error at a 500 cfm flow, but since the error is proportional to the square of the flow velocity its negligible at lower cfm flows!...

...there's a couple of ways to calculate the effect of the slight pressure drop in a moving air flow, and they both give a worst case of a little over 1" H20, say 1.5", and that's at 500 cfm. If you halve the cfm to 250, you get a X4 reduction to a little over 0.25" H20...
In the following post #66, I gave a detailed explanation of "Bernoulli's Principle" using a "swarm of bees" to aid the understanding, as well as equations and more precise mathematical models. In post # 78 I gave yet another explanation of "Bernoulli's Principle...
...One way of viewing Bernoulli's Principle is to consider the sum of the static pressure, Ps, and the dynamic pressure, Pd, which give the total pressure, Pt. Then the part about the total energy being constant as air flows down a tube with a varying CSA, and therefore varying AFV, is the same as saying that Pt is constant. So if Pd increases, then Ps decreases so as to keep Pt a constant...
...and calculated its effect using this approach.

...Despite the Donaldson recommendation, I still believe the best place to measure differential air pressure across the 6637 is from within the filter itself to the ambient air directly outside the filter...

...In the meantime, unless one has a pure static port in their intake ducting, by keeping the FilterMinder plumbing out of the airstream, I maintain that I have as accurate, if not more so, restriction readings...
I respect the right of all FTE members to post their beliefs and opinions, however, when they're incorrect as the above are, and when they're presented as authoritative advice for others to follow, and when such advice might do harm to other members PSD's, I try to set the record straight!

They're many in depth discussions in the link I gave discussing why the correct location for a filter minder is at the neck end of the filter, for example...
Originally Posted by F250_
OMG... that's scary, Ernest. That is exactly what I was mulling over a little while ago, and I came to the same conclusion that although the clogging filter would help the FM behave more closely to the way it should, the best thing to do would be to reposition it to at least the other end where the neck is located.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:12 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Well, ya' got me Ernie! You musta' proved your point, as I am now so befuddled that I will defer to your better judgment. (Tucking tail between legs.)

I'm obviously out of my league.

Sometimes, twenty seven eight-by-ten color glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was, IS good proof!

Good enough for me...

Pop

Old 06-02-2008, 10:12 AM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe's Creations
I don't see how the filterminder can work as it was designed with the 6637 filter; it was not made to work with it. The air flow is much different than that of the stock intake, don’t think you would be comparing apples to apples due to the increased air flow.

I just left mine off... don’t see the need for it.

Just my 0.02
the filter minder was not designed for the 6637 or any other filter system specifically
it was designed for any and all air intakes to show the basic condition of the air filter
the filter minder its self doesn't have to be munted to the filter or intake ,it can be mounted at a remote location with a tube run to it

Old 06-02-2008, 02:17 PM
Joe's Creations
Freshman User
From the Filter Minder Web Site.

Filter Minder, Automobile Parts, Air Filter, Fuel Monitor, Car Accessories, Engineered Products
  • The Filter Minder ® is installed on the air cleaner or air induction piping so that it has access to clean filtered air (between air filter and engine).
  • The air filter service indicator is a simple device that accurately measures the air induction system filter restriction. It measures and remembers the highest restriction at maximum air flow, which is called full load condition. This condition occurs during hard acceleration, or while pulling a trailer, etc.
  • The indicator is easy to read. As the air filter plugs, and restriction increases, the yellow position indicator moves in the clear window and locks at several points. When it reaches and locks in the red zone, the air filter should be changed and the indicator reset to zero. Reset the indicator by pushing the yellow reset at the end of the indicator.
  • Another type of air filter service indicator is the Filter Minder ® Single Position Service Indicator. The clear window turns red when maximum recommended restriction has been reached.
  • Every air induction filter system has a clean filter or initial restriction reading. Depending on air flow volume, filter media, and air filter size, there may not be enough restriction to show a reading on the gauge with a new filter, or the position indicator may move one or two positions. Do not be alarmed if there is some restriction with a new filter as this is not unusual.
  • Air filters usually show low restriction through most of their service life. As the air filter nears the end of available service life, filter restriction will increase more rapidly, and the yellow position indicator on the Filter Minder ® will move more rapidly towards the red zone. High humidity or rainy conditions may slightly increase air filter restriction.
  • The Filter Minder ® is calibrated in inches of water vacuum per the engine manufacturer's recommendations.
  • Use of the Filter Minder ® helps maximize filter service life, prevents excess fuel usage from overly restricted filters, and saves on operational costs.
rbaker6336 i understand what you are saying. With that, i am still going to leave mine off.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:34 PM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Joe's Creations
...From the Filter Minder Web Site. rbaker6336 i understand what you are saying. With that, i am still going to leave mine off...
That's good info, and it gives the proper location of a filter minder, and some good reasons for having one, however, it failed to mention the most important reason, namely to avoid filter collapse! Again, the following is all from the link I provided earlier...
Originally Posted by SolidGround
Any way to figure out what kinda air volume (cfm) has to move through one of these 6637 filters before it collapses? If you'll remember, I sucked one of these through my turbo before, luckily only stopping up the CAC... mighta been a junk filter from the get-go. But my curiosity has the better of me.
...Back to the issue of filters collapsing, the dimensions of the 6637 filter give an outer shell area of 330.6 in2. According to the DONALDSON site a clean new filter at a flow rate of 470 CFM gives a restriction of 8" H20=0.289 psi, and this gives a (0.289*330.6)=95.55 lb of total compression loading on the outer shell.

For a dirty filter at the end of its service life the restriction might increase by a factor of 2.5 compared to a new filter, and this 20" H20 restriction will cause a 238.9 lb loading. With that kind of compression loading, it's not hard for me to see the potential for disaster at a peak flow of 500 CFM or more that you might incur during a burst of WOT operation!

Here's a good link to that subject, and a quote from it...

Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Air Filter Collapse
http://www.filtercouncil.org/techdata/tsbs/06-2.htm

"A common cause of filter collapse is not paying attention to the service point recommended by the engine manufacturer. Diesel engines typically have an intake element service point of 20-30" H2O...and if a restriction indicating device isn't monitored closely, it can result in extremely high pressure drop across the filter that may cause it to collapse"...

Old 06-02-2008, 10:20 PM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
Well, ya' got me Ernie! You musta' proved your point, as I am now so befuddled that I will defer to your better judgment. (Tucking tail between legs.)

I'm obviously out of my league.

Sometimes, twenty seven eight-by-ten color glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was, IS good proof!

Good enough for me...

Pop
Thanks for the acknowledgment, I'm not trying to pick fights, but rather to analyze and explain things the best I can, as that's become my retirement hobby. In the link I gave, I responded to a number of posts that made incorrect assertions, but none of those members bothered to even acknowledge my explanations.

As I explained in the link, mounting a filter minder where you suggested is better than not having one at all, but the filter needs to become fairly restricted before a gauge placed there will give a reading.
...Actually, putting a filter minder in the end cap (like most do) still has some merit for at least telling when the filter needs to be changed. The filter will load with dirt from the engine end first, and then get progressively more dirty out toward the end, until the restriction out there is finally sensed by the minder. However, if you check my post #43, it's just possible that the filter might collapse before a minder in the end cap signals that a clean filter is needed...
When Tenn had his tap in the end cap, I suggested a test to illustrate that if a 6637 is sufficiently restricted, a filter minder located at the far end (instead of the neck) can still detect some restriction.
...This is the easiest test I can think of, take a clean white cotton tee shirt, wrap it around the outside of the 6637, and do a quick test drive. That should definitely provide enough restriction to pin your gauge...
Originally Posted by Tenn01PSD350
...Got a towel and wrapped it around the filter. Hit the go pedal and was able to hit 5" on the gauge with ease, with no load or boost, sitting there in park. Seems to me the intake is in order and the filter is working real well. No need to test drive that as I know I could peg that without leaving the driveway. I guess the next step is to move the tap site, and test again. I'll let everyone know when I get around to that...