1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

1996 truck dies out

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 06:57 PM
ivanockers
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 truck dies out

it's frustrating me!! changed the loose battery connectors yesterday after dying out at an intersection. also changed the alternator. ran it for about 35 miles home with no problems. started right up this morning. ran it about 70 miles to drop the kids off, then go to work. i THOUGHT i solved the problems because the truck sounded fine and started like a champ, but tried to start it up at work a couple of hours later and it wouldn't. it turns over fine (fast and strong), but MIGHT be a fuel problem. pulled the fuel filter and it was dirrrty! any suggestions? i saw people with icp problems. what about my fuel pump? would i be able to hear it upon turning the key to the "on" position? where is mine located? i hope not in the fuel tank. would just changing the fuel filter solve the problem? i'm getting a lot of advice at work, but hope that some of the guys that have been around the block could help this newbie out! thanks.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:04 PM
immastrokinnow
Elder User
with a diesel it wouldnt have anything to do with the alternator or batteries. unless no crank no start issue. change the fuel filter, clean the screen and see what happens.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:26 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does the tach register any RPM when cranking? any smoke from the tail pipe when cranking?

Fuel pump is mechanical in the valley of the engine as long as your truck is a 94.5 to 97. The fuel pumps are not known for just quitting like that.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:14 AM
ivanockers
New User
changed the fuel filter and cleaned the screen and it started fine... then died a few minutes after. friend at work had an extra cam position sensor so we tried that. she's running fine now and i get off of work tomorrow morning. i'll be starting her up during the rest of my shift to see what happens. as for the rpm's when cranking... yes it was registering rpm's when it wouldn't start. no smoke from tail pipe when cranking. what about dumping the fuel and cleaning the tanks? i'll keep you all informed and thanks for the advice!!

Old 05-12-2008, 08:33 AM
Todd525
Posting Guru
Check your oil too. Make sure its full. These trucks injectors are oil drivien, if you run low on oil, injectors wont fire. If you were sittting on a grade, and you were lowq on oil, I suppose it could also be a possibility. Just food for thought.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:57 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My first thought was CPS. Low oil also. Good luck.