6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

First diesel, working up a list.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 03:25 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First diesel, working up a list.

Haven't been able to be in the new to me vehicle for quite some time, finally me and the wife decided it was time we had to replace our 2001 F350 / v10. Not because of issues other than some rust and it was just time. We pulled the trigger on a 2008 KR 2WD from NC, just got back late last night from the 1,400 mile down and back marathon run. I am trying to bring myself up on what I need to do to make this KR run as trouble free for as long as I can. I pretty much have read over just about everything I can on the 6.4 forum and find myself with a overload of information. Could you guys whittle the list down to basic stuff I need to do until I get my head around the beast. Have been a forum member for years so I am not new to these trucks, just the new power plant. Here's a few shots of her, from what I can see it's got everything except moon roof or the nav system. Man this thing drove the hills on the way home like it was child's play. My only plan so far is to have the trans fluid changed, it currently has 68,000 miles on it. BTW what is the warranty on this thing, 6/60 or 5/100.
Thanks

Old 09-01-2012, 04:28 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,444 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Check coolant nitrates first off.

If you have not done so then 5K oil changes and 10K fuel filter changes so get those done Use OEM filters only.

Trans flush if at least 60K. Check your diff.

That should be a good start.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:22 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
And don't forget the Diesel Kleen or similar additive. When you change the oil send a sample in for anaylsis. It's $25 well spent.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:06 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
Engine warranty is 5 year/100K miles. Service like Senix and Stanley advise. Try not to shut it down during regen and do oil sampling through Blackstone to see how the engine and oil are doing. I still love these trucks!

Old 09-04-2012, 06:35 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Figured since I currently don't have a way to capture close to 4 gallons of oil I'd have Ford change the oil today, had 8,000 miles on it. Now I can get it to 5,000 intervals, now I'll see if I can't change the trans filter and 8 or so quarts of oil this weekend without making too big a mess.
Guess I made an impression at the dealership when I brought it in, It must have been when they told me the waiting room is over there and I just stood on guard to make sure some filthy *** oil guy didn't put his dirty self on my seats or steering wheel. Good thing he had gloves on and put plastic seat covers on. He goes I have to take it over to the truck well to change the oil, so I hung out at the parts department for a spell, picked up a bottle of fuel additive, got a price of a cord for the block heater ($135.00) nuts to that, looks like I need to send an email to the parts guy, still can't believe I didn't get a cord. Anyways the cashier came and got me when she got the paperwork, sir, your trucks ready. Guess they wanted me to leave, had a good laugh on the way home.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:41 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,444 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally Posted by bubbasz1
Figured since I currently don't have a way to capture close to 4 gallons of oil I'd have Ford change the oil today, had 8,000 miles on it. Now I can get it to 5,000 intervals, now I'll see if I can't change the trans filter and 8 or so quarts of oil this weekend without making too big a mess.
Guess I made an impression at the dealership when I brought it in, It must have been when they told me the waiting room is over there and I just stood on guard to make sure some filthy *** oil guy didn't put his dirty self on my seats or steering wheel. Good thing he had gloves on and put plastic seat covers on. He goes I have to take it over to the truck well to change the oil, so I hung out at the parts department for a spell, picked up a bottle of fuel additive, got a price of a cord for the block heater ($135.00) nuts to that, looks like I need to send an email to the parts guy, still can't believe I didn't get a cord. Anyways the cashier came and got me when she got the paperwork, sir, your trucks ready. Guess they wanted me to leave, had a good laugh on the way home.
go see your local international dealer for the cord.

For the trans you really should do the flush so you get a complete change.

Look up and see if there is a quicklane in your area. They are ford as well but sometimes cheaper and more friendly. At least for me. I know them by first name.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:01 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by senix
go see your local international dealer for the cord.

For the trans you really should do the flush so you get a complete change.

Look up and see if there is a quicklane in your area. They are ford as well but sometimes cheaper and more friendly. At least for me. I know them by first name.
I'll see what they have in the area.
They were friendly enough, just think they wanted me to be gone, too much pressure right at quitting time I guess.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:09 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
you can get the cord on Ebay for $25.