1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

89 Crown Vic

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 04:09 PM
Cloudrnnr
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 Crown Vic

Gents,
I have a 1989 Crown Victoria sitting in my pasture. She runs and drives great--but has 219K miles on her and spent most of her life in Ontario. No US registration and leaves a trail of rust everywhere she goes. I didn't spend a lot for her--and am considering plucking her for the buildup of my wife's 51 F1. What should I take? Right now the truck has a running flathead V8, but the wife is torn between loving the sound and the look and a need for A/C in the Texas heat.

Jim

Old 04-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

I'd use it all!! I dont know how to find post real well? But maybe someone will post the link to the thread of frame swaps and such? I dont want to type all that again, but the frame could be used complete or just stubed? Your choice? If you use the whole frame, you have to shorten the wheel base and then you have to narrow the frame rails. After you've shortend the frame you can cut a hole in the front stubs and the rear stubs and put in a piece of 2x4 rectangle tubing at the heighth you want the cab to sit at. Then you can make the cab mounts and bed mounts. The one big downside of doing this is you loose a considerable amount of bed space due to the way the rear of the frame kicks up? You might just want to use the front?

Also you can get a diagram of the original Ford wiring and do away with all the unnecessary evils of hippy tree hugging pollution junk and use the whole wiring harness too. Keep the EFI and all. Use the seats and everything you can!!! These old Ford engines are great!! The more you use the cheaper it is to build!! Of course this all depends on your welding and fabricating skills.

Most of all have fun, it's supposed to be a hobby and for fun. Enjoy it!!!

Old 04-06-2008, 05:19 PM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
90 Crown Vic

I used the power train (motor, tranny) from my 90 CV donor to install in my 50 F1; originally used the steering wheel, but changed to "hybrid" with original steering wheel. I saved everything from the CV, power windows, AC etc but not installing in my build. I am using original CV wiring harness, minus the accessories and EGR. I am running MII IFS; Explorer 8.8. Some pictures in my gallery.

Later

Tom

Old 04-06-2008, 05:24 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A running Flatmotor?
Tell yourWife a little sweat never hurt anyone.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:12 PM
Chickenbone
Freshman User
I have heard of these swaps before and I think that a member of grandmarq.net was contemplating the same swap. The only problem that I see with this swap is that you have to stick with stock suspension parts for a box Crown Vic (1979-1991). There seems to be little to no aftermarket performance upgrades for these vehicles. I have been modifying my mom's '86 Crown Vic for over a year and it is a difficult task. As of now I am grinding some racing coil springs (to fit the spring isolators) for my mom's car because her stock springs are dead and I don't like the ride height of the stock PI or civilian car springs. You may be better off saving up for a Mustang II front end as there are more upgrades and parts availability for that suspension. Though, the frame is free (you already got it) and those cars share the same motors as the fox body Mustangs (just a different set-up), so I guess that would be a hard decision. In any event, I would love see some pics of your completed work and good luck with whatever path you choose for this project.

Chickenbone

Old 04-06-2008, 08:13 PM
merten
Laughing Gas
Hi and Welcome Jim.
First off you can not replace that wonderful flathead sound. Now I am not an expert on AC but why is a flathead motor and AC not a possibility? It would be a lot easier to fab some brackets for the compressor than to rip the flatmotor out and replace it with the crown vic stuff. Save the CV for a truck that is missing its running gear. If you turn a drivable truck into a project and it is not done in short order is your wife going to be happy? You said it was her truck.

Chris

Old 04-06-2008, 08:56 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
IIRC, the track width of the CV is perfect for the 67-72 body style. This may also include the earlier years since the rear axle from those trucks fits the 56 and older. Alot of work though. My .02

Old 04-06-2008, 09:21 PM
vintage56
Elder User
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I too have a Vic of this vintage as a donor and know a local guy that used one as well. He used front clip, motor, tranny, and rear axle. He loves it. He paid a shop to do the work, so didnt know the details, but again, he's happy w/ it.
JML

Old 04-06-2008, 10:36 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
I'm using the front frame clip from a 87 Town Car, which is the same thing. I have only driven it up and down my 1/4 mile road so far (still waiting on the windshield) but I believe it will be a great suspension. This is not for the faint of heart, I wouldn't have cut up a good frame for it, but the PO had already butchered mine in a failed Volare swap. I am also using the 8.8 rear-end from the Lincoln, mounted on 88 Ranger springs.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:43 PM
Sandidande
Senior User
Wow what an incosiderate boob you are!

I would give the Crown Victoria with Air to my wife and force myself to endure that horrible 51 F1.

Sorry I had to say it.

Welcome! It's nice to have you.

That old Vicky wouldn't be an old cop car by any chance...with a PI engine in it?????!!!!

Old 04-06-2008, 10:45 PM
Cloudrnnr
New User
Chris,
I'll admit to a bit of bias on the old flathead--my concern with adding a/c would be dragging down that poor weak creature any more than it already is! Don't get me wrong--I just sold a 50 Shoebox with a flattie.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:59 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
Flatties can spin an A/C compressor just fine! If a puke 4-banger ricer can have air, so can a torque-monster flattie! The only problem is adding a belt to the crank.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:47 AM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Cloudrnnr
Gents,
I have a 1989 Crown Victoria sitting in my pasture. She runs and drives great--but has 219K miles on her and spent most of her life in Ontario. No US registration and leaves a trail of rust everywhere she goes. I didn't spend a lot for her--and am considering plucking her for the buildup of my wife's 51 F1. What should I take? Right now the truck has a running flathead V8, but the wife is torn between loving the sound and the look and a need for A/C in the Texas heat.

Jim
Vintage Air will work wonders for Maintaining your wife's truck originality.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:52 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
replace a running flattie ???? tell the wife no and she can follow you in her late model flock mobile in comfort while you enjoy the 51 as it is .

Old 04-07-2008, 08:00 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd use the engine, transmission, and possibly the rear end but the front suspension is probably too wide for an F-1.

Quick Reply: 89 Crown Vic