2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you remove the rails and headliner?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 08:19 AM
pmason718
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you remove the rails and headliner?

I was wondering what is the proper way to remove the overhead rails and headliner in a 07 F150. Im going to install and overhead monitor but I dont want to damage anything.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Twinsdad98
Elder User
First remove all the pillar trims. For the C-pillar, there's a push pin behind the rear seat back, so you'll have to loosen the rear seat to get to it. The front and rear light consoles are snapped in, so they just pull down and snap out. Remove the coat hooks by inserting a small screw driver into the slot and moving it down to loosen the tabs. There's 2 push pins in the rear header. Get a tool to remove those. They are a bear to get out. Remove the all the screws for the visors. Remove the phillip screws that attach the rails to the consoles. Once everything is removed, the rails are the only thing still holding the headline up. Slid the rails forward towards the windshield and they should pop out of the hooks and everything should drop down. I just did mine last week to install the OEM dvd player, so it's pretty straight forward.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:20 PM
pmason718
New User
Which one is the c-pillar. I hate to sound like a jerk but I forgot most of the terms or should I say parts that you are referring to. Thanks. Can you please break down these terms a little.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:00 AM
Twinsdad98
Elder User
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. We label the pillars front to rear starting with 'A'. So, the A-pillar is the one with your grab handles. B-pillar is the next one rearward where your front passenger seat belts attach and finally C pillar is the rear most one. In order to remove the trim pieces, you'll have to remove the seat belt bolts. I sprayed mine with some Kroil the day before so it could soak in. The C-pillar trim piece wraps behind the rear seat back and has a push pin behind the seat. You need to pop the rear seat loose to get access to it. If you search the forum, there has been several threads discussing rear seat removal.. Hope this helps..

Old 04-02-2008, 01:43 PM
pmason718
New User
Thanks. I actually figured it out last night. I will upload pics of my installation once Im done.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:46 PM
Twinsdad98
Elder User
Cool! Would love to see some pics.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:12 PM
pmason718
New User
Do I have to remove all of those pillars just to remove the rails. I only want to take the rails out as of now. I found a new way of mounting the overhead.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:34 PM
rambunctious
Senior User
to just take the rail down, you do not need to remove the pillar trim
you remove the consoles by pulling them down, they are isntalled with spring clips. then remove teh torx screws that hold the rails to the plastic retainers behind the consoles.
then slide the rails forward about 1" there are slots on the back of the rails that are cutout so sliding forward lets you drop the rails

installing may be tricky without dropping the headliner though
because there are a few "butterfly" clips that keep the headliner tight to the rail so no gaps. you need to hold or push them from behind to reinstall them

I actually have a pdf file describing the process to add a dvd that tells how to remove and reinstall

pm me your email address

twinsdad, congrats on the project, not the fastest project to do to drop the overhead system.

just takes patients

ramb

Old 04-02-2008, 09:52 PM
pmason718
New User
Im ***' d up. I moved the left rail forward and now I cant get it back in place. I may have to remove the the headliner. What is the best tool to remove the plastic rivets in the rear and how do I remove the clothes hook.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:01 PM
pmason718
New User
Originally Posted by rambunctious
to just take the rail down, you do not need to remove the pillar trim
you remove the consoles by pulling them down, they are isntalled with spring clips. then remove teh torx screws that hold the rails to the plastic retainers behind the consoles.
then slide the rails forward about 1" there are slots on the back of the rails that are cutout so sliding forward lets you drop the rails

installing may be tricky without dropping the headliner though
because there are a few "butterfly" clips that keep the headliner tight to the rail so no gaps. you need to hold or push them from behind to reinstall them

I actually have a pdf file describing the process to add a dvd that tells how to remove and reinstall

pm me your email address

twinsdad, congrats on the project, not the fastest project to do to drop the overhead system.

just takes patients

ramb

Thanks alot. So your saying that the rails will come off without taking the headliner down? pmason718@hotmail.com

Old 04-03-2008, 08:00 AM
rambunctious
Senior User
they will
but there are butterfly spring clips behind the headliner sandwiching the headliner to the rails to prevent gaps
to get them back in, you need to hold them from behind

if you have the patients to drop the headliner, that will be the easiest
I sent you the instructions ( with pics )
Ramb

Old 04-03-2008, 08:47 AM
pmason718
New User
thanks but three things.

If I drop the headliner how can I get it out of the truck?

How do you remove the coat hooks. Once I open the tab there is no screw available.

What tool can I use to remove the rear push pins.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:51 AM
pmason718
New User
One other thing. Where are the clamps that are holding the rails located. I know that their is some in the back of the rails but what about the middle. I guess their are none in the front b/c we have screws their holding it.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:40 AM
rambunctious
Senior User
here is a pick fo the backside
front is to the left

once you remove the screws and slide the rails forward, then you can pull the back half off of the spring clips
( just seen in the background) teh black plastic wings are the butterfly clips I mention that hold the headleirn tight to the rail so no gaps

Old 04-03-2008, 09:46 AM
rambunctious
Senior User
there is only one way to take the headliner out of the truck
remove the front or rear windshield
this is common on all vehicles. the headliner is installed at the factory before glass
a windshield guy can do the glass removal and reinstall

but when we did my truck, we just dropped the headliner onto the seats and routed the wires for the DVD ( or do whatever fabbing you need to)

the coat hooks are tricky, a thin screwdriver in the slot relieves a clip

the push pins.... use a large blade behind the headliner ( crow bar?) to pull or maybe finesse them from the front side.....
they are christmas tree hooks ( many small fins)
hope this helps

Ramb

Quick Reply: How do you remove the rails and headliner?