2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is the delta 40 flowmaster any good

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 07:58 PM
Still Smoking
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is the delta 40 flowmaster any good

they guy at the autostore he is doing the exhaust on my truck on a 04 150 duals. si/do said the super 44 i wanted was on back order and the delta 40 was better. well i was at work when he told me that and i was doing some searches on it but it dont seem very loud. but it says loud on the flowmaster website. can anyone tell me how this sounds on the 5.4

Old 03-24-2008, 08:24 PM
F0rdzTuff
Elder User
i put a measly 50 series SUV on mine, and it sounds plenty nice when rhomped upon. Not obnoxiously loud, but people know I'm there. Kept the same cats and resonators too. if you want a lot of noise, just cut the pipes before the mufflers...(am being facetious)

Old 03-24-2008, 08:27 PM
Still Smoking
Elder User
im thinking of having him cancelle the order for the delta 40 and going to pick up a 40 series or if i find a 44 series i will get that. i hope the guy wont be to pissed

Old 03-24-2008, 08:57 PM
efx4
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would get the 44 if you want an aggresive sound.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:03 PM
Still Smoking
Elder User
thats whats i want but cant get it anywhere

Old 03-25-2008, 06:50 AM
F0rdzTuff
Elder User
Talking

Originally Posted by Still Smoking
thats whats i want but cant get it anywhere
Hell, I tried to listen to the difference on their website, and there's a difference, but I couldn't tell you which sounds better to me. Mine is very mild. I just wanted a little more outside noise. I think my stocker made more noise inside the truck than the 50 SUV.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:23 PM
Dustin1690
Post Fiend
The 40s sounds awesome on mine you can hear them in the cab but barely on the highway but still can

Old 03-26-2008, 01:47 AM
aleopo1
New User
Yeah I've got these on my 5.4 and tell sound really nice.

I kept the duals tips on for about a year then cut them off and have turndowns now. Pretty deep sound and not extremely loud. But good on the interstate.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:22 PM
ponyxprs
Cross-Country
I have the 2004 F150 SCAB 5.4 and had the Delta-Flow 40 with SI/DO installed recently, and I think the tone of the exhaust is great! I can still have a mormal conversation and normal radio volume whithout being drowned out by the exhaust. The engine response is pretty good too. The jury is still out on the MPG. My foot seems a wee bit heavy lately =)

Old 03-26-2008, 08:30 PM
rotested
Freshman User
they guy at the autostore he is doing the exhaust on my truck on a 04 150 duals. si/do said the super 44 i wanted was on back order and the delta 40 was better. well i was at work when he told me that and i was doing some searches on it but it dont seem very loud. but it says loud on the flowmaster website. can anyone tell me how this sounds on the 5.4
I have an 08 5.4 screw that I just had a FM original 40 3"si/2.5do with two 2.5" pipes run out the back under the rear bumper. Sounds great! I am from NY, and was recently in NC, which is where I had the exhaust done. Drove back with my wife, 2 kids and mother in law (yuck) and it was fine. Conversation at normal levels and radio at normal levels. I'm glad I did it, and I too was worried about noise/drone with the 40 series and almost went with the 50.

Idling - cold start - very nice initial growl, once warm, cannot hear it idling inside the truck such as at a red light. Accelerate normally and you hear a nice mellow tone. It is at it's loudest inside the truck around 1800-2000 rpm's while accelerating up to speed, still, to me, a nice tone, louder but nice. But, for some, this is the drone rpm's, but, the F150 doesn't spend alot of time there during acceleration, it is easy to goose it up over that range or hold back and let it just ease right thru that range. Continue accelerating and it gets harder to tell that you even have an aftermarket exhaust. At WOT, you can still hear it but the sound of the engine revving drowns out the exhaust tone so I would say that it is only slightly louder than stock at WOT. Cruising on the highway, even in that 1800-2000 rpm range, which I did for 12 hours on Easter Sunday, there is no excessive noise, drone, or whatever some may want to call it. It just sounds good. My wife, my 2 year old, my 5 month old and most importantly, my mother in law, all slept for the majority of the trip and none of them made any comments about the exhaust other than my 2 year old who says, "Wowwwww" with a big smile on his face every time I accelerate in a spirited manner!

Now, about the different models to choose from (Original 40, Super 40, 40 delta, Super 44). While there may be a very slight design change between them to render a very slight difference in sound, it is just that, very slight. The reason I ended up getting my exhaust done in NC was because the guy at the shop carried himself in a manner that would lead any one of us to have no doubts about his knowledge, skills and abilities. I asked him these same questions that many on this board have asked and got an answer that I sounded reasonable. This is what he (Vinny) said: Flowmaster's patent on the original 40 ran out or came close to expiring which permitted or would permit knock off companies to produce essentialy the same thing under a different name for potentially less money. So, in an effort to maintain current patents and/or acquire new patents, Flowmaster made slight design changes and used different model #'s, hence the Super 40, the 40 delta, and the Super 44 (speaking 40 series here, I know there are 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, etc too). Vinny went on to state that he has been doing Flowmaster installs for many years on many different vehicles including full custom setups on Corvette's, Mustangs and trucks. He uses the original 40's unless a customer, who has apparently read Flowmaster's website, requests a different model. Vinny further states that in all his years, he, and his customers, could not hear any noticeable difference between the 44, Super 40 and 40 delta as he has swapped out 40's for 40 deltas on the same vehicle for customers requesting less interior noise.

Sorry for the long post, and don't shoot the messenger if you disagree!!! I merely passed this on for those to consider. If any of you live or pass through upstate NY, I'll meet with you and take you for a ride so you can hear it first hand.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:35 PM
efx4
Laughing Gas
I didn't know that was the case with Flowmaster. Their comercials made the 44 series out to be a less restricted and more agressive muffler than the 40 series. I had the 40 on my last 2 F-150's and they sounded nice, but with some lower rpm drone. I guess you can't blame Flowmaster for keeping their bottem line more secure.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:38 AM
SteelHorse08
Senior User
Can't hear your Idle rumbling? Too bad ..........

Originally Posted by efx4
I didn't know that was the case with Flowmaster. Their comercials made the 44 series out to be a less restricted and more agressive muffler than the 40 series. I had the 40 on my last 2 F-150's and they sounded nice, but with some lower rpm drone. I guess you can't blame Flowmaster for keeping their bottem line more secure.
The 44 is alot less restrictive, much better flow path, and ALOT more aggressive then the 40's series (40 delta, Super40) to quiet on Ford engines, "Rotested" states he can't hear his exhaust at stop signs/or stop lights, huh to bad for that, with the Super 44 you know and the vehicle next to you know you have a V8 at stop lights and stop signs. Deep rumble on idle and take off it's meaner and meaner through all Powerband, Ya my muffler shop dude has been doing exhaust for over 35 years and he actually talked me out of the 40, and Super 40, for the Super 44 because he explained Fords are quiet V8's with the 4 cats to absorb noise, he proceeded to say the Super 44 will put a smile on your face, and all around better performing muffler, installed and first start up I was like DAMN exactlly what I wanted, strong MEAN rumble at Idle and Aggressive deep acceleration tone, excellent muffler, oh and there not the same design interior look at www.flowmastermufflers.com and they show the interior of each muffler and sound clips, oh and "Rotested" there are already "knock off 40 series muffler's there called "Thrush" ya if Vinny knew what the hell he was talking about he would have told you that one of the co-owners way back in the day with flowmaster brokeaway and and started his own line of mufflers "Thrush" and there same sound as the "Orignal American Thunder 40 FM, please "Rotested before going on a rant you should have talk to the main folks "FLOWMASTER" themselves this the info I got from them, enjoy your quiet exhaust note too. Oh ya by the way I picked up 3MPG on this Super 44 yes it is a better flow as Iam now getting 19 MPG in the city streets, Ialso have an aftermarket intake tube and a AEM "DryFlow"panel performance direct fit air filter also, so it's a good combo. I went from 14 miles per gallon stock to 19 MPG is very nice indeed. With heavy acceleration' s from stops too. I am extremly happy with the gains and was a bit shocked at the increase over stock.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:47 AM
SteelHorse08
Senior User
why there on back order for, much better high demand over the 40's

Much better muffler and there at high demand for them,but any good muffler shop should have'em if there good shop they will carry good products. good luck in your purchase.