1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Chip Back... Still problems, thinking VB or TC??

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 01:59 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
c00n, stock felt MUCH better, (first vid, no chip) although 1-2 was slow, there wasn't "slop". The 2nd and 3rd vids are with chip. The reburn made she shifts a little better (Not slambing into gear, but still not right) the truck feels like when it shifts it takes so long that the engine is already trying to spin and then catches into gear... be like shifting in a manual, and giving it gas between shifts, then letting the clutch out, so that the rev's are higher than needed for the next gear... Like I said, this is a hard problem to describe in words... We'll see what Bill (madvan) says back. Thanks c00n!

-Robb

Old 03-22-2008, 02:08 PM
MADVAN
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c00n

I had the thought to limp test the EPC, but figured it would shift to harsh for Robb to feel what is going on. He also states a hash 2/3 shift with chip. Says it sort of slips/shutters then slambs the 3rd gear. Much easier to see in a gauge if its a epc issue.

But have nothing to loose with a try.

Bill

Old 03-22-2008, 02:19 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
causing the max line pressure would only be temporary to see if the epc is the culprit, she will either bark the tires every shift or still be sloppy and sloshy, if its barking tires you know the trans is still good and not the problem, if it doesnt help then we'll know the tranny is too tired for a chip.

EDIT_ i suppose that even if it is still not shifting right it could be the epc sticking, but i would almost be willing to put money on it shifting good and firm with it in limp mode and that shuold tell us that the epc is at fault

Old 03-22-2008, 02:21 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
c00n, liking the idea of trying that out... How would I limp the trans to test that theory?

EDIT: also, is the epc part of PCM? or if it is at fault how would I fix it???

-Robb

Old 03-22-2008, 02:24 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
the epc is in your solonoid pack in the trans, the main harness connector on the passenger side of the trans is the solonoid pack, once the pan is off you can see the whole kit and kuboodle

Old 03-22-2008, 02:25 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
i beleive the simplist way to fault the systemis unplug the rear speed sensor, although i have never tried, i had always been lucky enough to have the ford trans tester

bill might have another method that will be better

Old 03-22-2008, 02:27 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Ok thanks c00n. How would I go about limp testing it? Do I have to drop the pan and do something or is it as simple as a sensor? This may seem strange, but I've disconnected my ICP and the truck shifted very hard, not sure if that was just a coincidence or went into limp mode then...

EDIT: darn fast post! alright i'll keep an eye out and see if Bill has something to add. Thanks!

-Robb

Old 03-22-2008, 02:32 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
lol, i though of it after i hit send....

Old 03-22-2008, 03:54 PM
MADVAN
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You guy's move to fast
If you short the ckt the epc it will set low pressure.
If you open the ckt the epc it will set high pressure.
You have to remember this is only for the epc solenoid regulator.
After the solenoid the fluid ckt splits. (main and modulated).

It would be much better to hang a gauge and look at the pressures.
Motor at idle. P,N,D,2 would be low pressure approx 50/65 psi.
Motor at idle. R,1 would be high pressure approx 70/100 psi.

Stall test
R- 240/290 psi
D,2- 165/185 psi
1- 175/210

Had to go to the books for the #s. Shot Mem
If passes above then we need to see real world on the road pressures.

Also keep in mind from older post. The EPC is determined from TPS and Mapp.
You tested the mapp (no change). You never tested the sweep of the TPS. Still concerned with the vid that looks like the power falls off. Could be just the vid. Hard to tell from this end.

Bill

Old 03-22-2008, 04:05 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
the vid does look like either he lets off or the truck loses power, its not your end...lol i saw it too.

and i was going to say, if you pulled those numbers off the top of your head, i'm buying you a drink, i can still rattle some specs but good lord.....

Old 03-22-2008, 05:09 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

I agree that it looks like the power is falling off in the vids. TPS was one of my first thoughts. I have a pedal assembly I can send you to test with if needed. I think pressure gauges will give us the best idea of what is going on.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:16 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Guys I don't think the power's falling off, if you look at first vid it pulls all the way, till i let off after 3rd I think it was (snowing and truck was sideways). The other's I let off because I new the shifts were going to be hard and didn't want to push it, break something and be stuck in NH, 100 miles away from my house. The way it shifts now I'd feel a little better about close to WOT run and get a vid up. I'm 99% sure that the power isn't falling off, it pulls hard all the way through (stock no chip) and with chip, if i'm, say in third at around 35 after the TC locks and roll my foot into it, it will pull hard all the way to the yellow in the tack.

Bill, how would I limp the trans to just drive around and see if it shifts hard, rule out trans issues like c00n was saying? or is that test not worth my time. Just don't know how much time I would have to do gauge etc... anyone live close to coastal south shore Ma?

Tim thanks for the offer on the TPS, but I think it's ok

-Robb

Old 03-22-2008, 05:23 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Wait so in the 2nd vid
http://good-times.webshots.com/video...62074462hslNNY

you are lifting off the throttle?

Old 03-22-2008, 05:24 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
now i'm confused, it shifts too hard? i though it was a concern with too soft and sloppy shifts?

at any rate you can test your tps with an ohm meter, or voltmeter or both, you can veiry the signal by slowly going from no throttle to full throttle and watching the meter for open circuits, but since you let off throttle it probably isnt needed.

which shifts are hard? all of them?the videos dont give much to go on then.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:26 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
at 9 seconds into that movie it sounds like the motor gets under the turbo or he lets off, not sure which, but then after the 3-4 shift it sounds like he pretty much lets off completly. thats the one i said had the tc lock-up issues

Quick Reply: Chip Back... Still problems, thinking VB or TC??