Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-19-2008, 09:32 AM
Senior User

billfishnut is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question Fire

Guys I set up an appleseed in my garage and haven't used it yet. I am wondering if anyone has ever heard of or had experience with a fire due to home biodiesel production.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:36 AM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
I have not had any fires, but there have been other fires reported, including a commercial plant in Idaho that blew up and killed the owners son. Be very, very carefull...................

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 03-19-2008, 10:50 AM
Senior User

billfishnut is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks Fabman, I just talked to my insurance adjuster and they said I can do this in my garage and I will be covered if I blow up my place but will be canceled afterward.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:53 AM
Senior User

TchTchr is starting off with a positive reputation.
I was wondering about insurance too if I ever moved my operation to my garage.

Vehicles:

2001 F-250 CC - Vegistroke, many performance goodies - scary fast off the line

1981 Mercedes 300TDT - greasecar conversion, what a highway cruiser!

1963 Chevy II - bone stock - restored (by me), my grandpa bought new, my first car (1980) - my baby
Old 03-23-2008, 04:55 PM
Posting Guru

AndysFords is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had a small fire in my reacotor, only because my dad left the heater element on while he was draining some bio out of the reactor, can you say DUH! Had to dump a bucket of water on it to get it to go out.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:06 AM
Posting Guru

nitrogen is a splendid one to beholdnitrogen is a splendid one to beholdnitrogen is a splendid one to beholdnitrogen is a splendid one to beholdnitrogen is a splendid one to beholdnitrogen is a splendid one to beholdnitrogen is a splendid one to beholdnitrogen is a splendid one to behold
dumping water on a diesel fire is a good way to spread the fire you were incredibly lucky. i don't have the space to process or i would be doing it, however for those of you who do, you have to remember you are manufacturing "diesel fuel". its supposed to burn really well, and the process involves heat so you really should have large fire extinguisher handy, depending on the size of the operation i would say at least a 10 pounder or even a 50. when fire strikes you're not going to wish for a smaller cheaper extinguisher. many of you who are processing also are involved in other stuff in the shop grinding welding cutting torches hopefully not to near your bd plant but still all good reasons to get good fire suppression devices
Old 03-24-2008, 01:05 PM
Senior User

evictorwalli is starting off with a positive reputation.
BioDiesel is a Class B fuel. Use a Dry Chemical fire extinguisher. Even with a dry chem you can spread the fire by pushing the fuel around with the pressure of the extinguisher. Try deflecting it off something.

Be careful of using a CO2 extinguisher in confined spaces it displaces oxygen. CO2 also has a cooling effect and can bring the tempuarature of the fuel below the ignition temp.

1988 F-250 4x4 7.3L 5Spd XLT SC LB K&N AF 150,000M Great Shape Super Clean Project Truck

1988 F-250 4x4 7.3L 5Spd XLT SC LB K&N AF 286,000M Beach/Wood/ Hunting/Fishing/soon to be parts truck

2005 AWD Freestyle Bride's Rig
Old 03-24-2008, 08:09 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
I use all steel tanks with a Nitrogen "blanket" above the biodiesel. This prevents any combustion within the tanks, and also helps prevent oxidation of the fuel.

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 03-28-2008, 05:23 PM
Posting Guru

AndysFords is starting off with a positive reputation.
My reactor at the time was a 500 gallon big truck tank turned on end, with the top cut out, and there was only 10 gallons in it, it wasn't going anywhere, the water just smothered it.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:23 PM