1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What should I do First????

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 10:39 AM
1st Restore Project
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What should I do First????

Hello all, I want to get a honest opinion from all my fellow ford junkies. What should I start first??? should i start rebuilding the engine first, or should I get the steering and the suspension done first??? I don't know and this is quite a dilema for me. I would appreciate any insight in this matter.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:49 AM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Noel -

I looked at your gallery to get an idea of the condition of your truck in order to answer your question. From the looks of it, the engine is already torn down, right?

My recommendation is to think about doing the job from the inside out. I would rebuild the engine and driveline first, then steering and suspension stuff, cooling system, then brakes, then wiring. Once driveable, I would drive the wheels off it for awhile.

It amazed me how driving my truck for awhile solidified the ideas for the cosmetics on it. Besides, the prep and paint is the toughest part to do, or the most expensive to hire out.....unless you want aftermarket wheels and tires. (LOL).

Old 02-28-2008, 10:50 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
The very first thing you should do is read this article at least two maybe three times.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/article/...e_Builder.html
Talk to a later

Old 02-28-2008, 10:51 AM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Dick -

I stand corrected. That is a better first step. Timeless.......(as is building one of these trucks).

Old 02-28-2008, 10:57 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Here is how I would do it.

First, decide what you want to do with your truck. Do you want to restore it, radical modification or somewhere in between?

Get a shop manual, not an owner's manual, a shop manual. It will have 99% of the information you will need to work on your truck.

Check out the engine. Is it what you really want to use? Is it in good conditon, does it need to be rebuilt? If it does are you going to do the rebuild or send it out? If you're going to have it sent out send it out and have it worked on while you move onto another part of the truck. It could take some time to get the engine back.

check out the condition of the rest of the truck. Does the body need a lot of work? Are you going to do the body work? How far do you want to go? Tear down to the frame or just on frame cosmetic repairs?

If you truck has been sitting a long time, or has the original brake system plan on replacing the entire system, maybe upgrade it up to disc and dual master cylinder. This is easier to do if you are doing a frame off restoration, you can get all of the brake components a lot easier with the body off.

TAKE A LOT OF PICTURES AS YOU GO, they will become invalueable when you start to reassemble the truck.

One more thing, plan a budget to work on your truck and then double or triple it. That also goes with a time schedule. Last, enjoy and have fun.

There will be a lot more suggestions but I think these are the basics.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:42 AM
eman92082
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts
Excellent advice and the article Dick referenced is awesome.

From my experience, if you aren't doing a frame-up build is to get the suspension safe and sound and then, get the truck driveable even if it isn't perfect. Having your truck on jackstands for 2 years becomes discouraging. Being able to drive at and then periodically jumping in and rebuilding an engine or a wiring harness isn't so bad.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:12 PM
1st Restore Project
Junior User
well guys as always thanks for the quick replies, yes i read the article and it gives alot of advice and alot of the situations are true like getting impatient. Like you see in the pics, i have pulled the motor and dissassembled it, now just waiting to send to the machine shop so i can get it bored and honed. But i am still unsure whether to do the steering and suspension first or the engine rebuild. I will be doing all the work myself. I would like to do a frame off work, but since i live in post housing i am restricted on taking the body off the frame.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:28 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Noel -

Since you have the motor apart, finish that. If there is one mistake you don't want to make, it is diving into more than one thing at once. Finish the motor, then do the steering/suspension.

My 2 cents...

Old 02-28-2008, 12:34 PM
kooper909
Elder User
Rebuild that Y-block, and fire it up. The sound will keep you going.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:47 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
You have already started something , GREAT! Now listen to the wise words of the others here, stay on track and dont tear the AZZ out of everything! While waiting you can "check" condition of items. Leaf springs, body mounts, brake and fuel lines, and all the while taking notes of what "needs" to be fixed LATER. Get the oil can out and lube throttle bell crank, lube window regulators, door hinges, door latches, hood hinges, hood latch, replace a few grease fittings and grease all points. All the above is basically free just time involved.

Kevin Bigwin

Old 02-28-2008, 01:36 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Very good info here. I have to tell anyone with a limited budget,and limited ability to not go hog-wild!! Read and look at your truck and fix it 1 step at a time. My bro-in-law is near 15 yrs on his project and not done. I could finish it in 1 month,but he has a weird way of doing things and then REDOING things. A BIG WASTE OF MONEY. A lot of guys are smart and rebuild or restore engine -then drivetrain --then drive it.
Then do as others have said. Ever see how many guys sell their trucks because it got out of hand? Driving it and doing the small things will get you motivated much more than a zillion pieces spread out on your garage floor. YOU DO HAVE A GARAGE? If not--that will be a big problem. Bill......good luck!!

Old 02-28-2008, 02:23 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
Originally Posted by WALFORD'S 56
. My bro-in-law is near 15 yrs on his project and not done. I could finish it in 1 month,but he has a weird way of doing things and then REDOING things. Bill......good luck!!

Bill ????? you just described me perfectly ???? are we Brother-in-laws ???

john

I'm really only 12 years into mine and it's still hanging on the cow cooker

Old 02-28-2008, 05:29 PM
56TDTEXAS
New User
Hang on Noel. One piece at a time is the best solution. Try to get that engine rebild going. While its in the shop, see if you can the steering wheel set up. Maybe then you could start moving it around. That will get you excited. Check out the Military resources on Post to see if they can help in anyway? Good luck!

Old 02-28-2008, 06:09 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
John--I wish you were my brother-in-law --you know what you are doing. Unlike my B.I.L. he only knows the fad of the day and then no-one is good enough to do the work. He has 30k tied up in a 1981 corvette and now wants to restore his 79 ford f100 and is asking all kinds of stuff. I will probably visit him in a week or 2 and see the truck in a million pieces also. I am tired of him going pro-street and then wanting to build the car stock. It is hard to do when you start tubbing and then want stock......I can feel my blood pressure rising as I write this.
John --if it takes you 12 yrs---it must be a masterpiece.........Bill

Old 02-28-2008, 07:47 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
IMHO, I'd get the engine back together before you start losing parts, and have it ready to atleast set it back in or blocked in the back of the bed in case you're ETS day comes. Then do the steering since you'll need to know if you'll clear the engine (manifolds), and the suspension, to get it rolling again. At that point you'll be ready to take the truck with you wherever you go so you can just remove the engine, put it on a stand....the suspension will unbolt easier since the bolts will likely be new.....and the body will be ready to come off, and the frame will be all there to do. Then you can put it all back together. If it's one thing I've learned, is that it always takes longer than you expect. Good luck.

Oh yeah, and my budget involves doing everything dirt cheap.....IE time is money. I have no money, so it takes more time. (someday I'll be done buying household goods)