Outlawed

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 10:13 AM
caseydudem
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Outlawed

I cant believe it.

Germany has outlawed driving any diesel made before 1997 in the major cities. No exceptions. For those that have 1997 to 2000 have five years to comply with certain emission standards or lose their right to drive also. They plan to regulate this with decal stickers that say how bad you rig omits emissions, so as of the beginning of the year I have to use the car to go into town. This is getting really tough to drive these trucks with diesel price and now this. I hope something like this never makes it to the states.

Here is the offical notice

U.S. Army Europe Registry of Motor Vehicles release
MANNHEIM, Germany -- German cities can now establish “environmental protection
zones” (Umweltzone) where motor vehicles that do not bear a decal certifying that they
meet acceptable emission standards are prohibited, say U.S. Army Europe Registry of
Motor Vehicles officials.
The cities of Berlin,
Hannover and Koln
implemented protection
zones January 1. Zones
will go into effect in
Mannheim and Stuttgart
March 1, and other
cities may create zones
at later dates.
The new law requires
that all motor vehicles,
including those with
U.S. Army Europe
license plates, bear an
appropriate emissions decal on their lower right (passenger) side of their windshields to
enter a protection zone. Failure to display a decal in a protection zone can result in a 40
euro fine.
USAREUR drivers can get the new decals free of charge at the vehicle registration
offices in their communities beginning in late January, RMV officials say. Drivers in
Berlin have already received the decals.
The new standards apply to personal vehicles or non-tactical official vehicles bearing
plates from the USAREUR vehicle registry, RMV officials say. Pick-up trucks will be
categorized the same as cars.

The law outlines four emissions categories. Vehicles in Category 1 will bear no decal,
and cannot be driven in a protection zone. A red decal will be provided for vehicles in
Category 2 that allows the vehicle to be driven for five years, during which time those
vehicles must be converted to meet Category 3 or Category 4 emission standards.
Category 3 vehicles will be designated by a yellow decal, and Category 4 vehicles will
bear a green decal and have no restrictions.

The basic rules for the emission categories are:

-- Vehicles with diesel engines registered before Jan. 1, 1997 will be designated as
Category 1, and will get no decal.
-- Vehicles with diesel engines registered between Jan. 1, 1997 and Dec. 31, 2000 will be
designated as Category 2 and will display a red decal.
-- Vehicles with diesel engines registered from Jan. 1, 2001 to Dec. 31, 2005 will be
designated as Category 3 and will display a yellow decal.
-- Vehicles with diesel engines registered from Jan. 1, 2006 and later will be designated
as Category 4 and will display a green decal.
-- Vehicles with gasoline engines registered before Jan. 1, 1993 will be designated as
Category 1 and get no decal.
-- Vehicles with gasoline engines registered after Jan. 1, 1993 will be designated as
Category 4 and will display a green decal.

Drivers whose vehicles have a lower rating than Category 4 can have their vehicles
converted to meet higher standards and get a new emissions decal from approved repair
or inspection facility.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:35 AM
1997F-350
Postmaster
time to get stationed over here man.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:34 AM
fordman837000
Senior User
that sucks! Good luck with that

Old 01-20-2008, 02:03 PM
kawa
Postmaster
Have you spoken with any one that has had there diesel inspected to find out the paramitors of the inspection? Of course un-like the USA I would imagin that Germany could raise the emission standards higher than what was accepted as the stock, factory standard.

What is ironic about this is that Germany just introduced a twin Cylinder diesel motorcycle at the big (Can't recall the name) Euro auto show.

Just out of curiosity what is the price of diesel in Germany?

Hang on to your glow plugs boys, one or two of our cracker *** senators will get wind of this and will want to implyment here. I can just hear them singing, Germany is stepping up to the plate to combat global warming and producing clean air and we as the leaders of the free world should not only meet there standards but set an example and do one better.

Rog

Old 01-20-2008, 02:42 PM
CRASHCLEMENT
Freshman User
Kawa,I thought I'd chime in by saying free world!!!!!!!HAHAHA Listen we live in the best country in the world;but you know just like I do nuttins FREE. If our gov. wants our land for any reason it's their land an not yours or mine anymore!!!!!!! I don't want to step on anyones feet; but our counrties morals an what it was founded on is going to the crapper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-20-2008, 02:43 PM
MADVAN
Postmaster
Big Brother.
Time to start looking for the loopholes.
Same is slowly happening in the US. Just indirectly. For starters its called ULSD.

Bill

Old 01-20-2008, 02:49 PM
IceboxFX
Tuned
you live in germany man? thats awesome

Old 01-20-2008, 02:59 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Drivers whose vehicles have a lower rating than Category 4 can have their vehicles
converted to meet higher standards and get a new emissions decal from approved repair
or inspection facility.
If those inspection facilities are anything like so many of them on this side of the pond it may be a simple matter of finding the the right person to get upgraded to that green sticker. At the very least you'll be able to find out what "conversion" is required for it.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:05 PM
caseydudem
More Turbo
Price

Originally Posted by kawa
Have you spoken with any one that has had there diesel inspected to find out the paramitors of the inspection? Of course un-like the USA I would imagin that Germany could raise the emission standards higher than what was accepted as the stock, factory standard.

What is ironic about this is that Germany just introduced a twin Cylinder diesel motorcycle at the big (Can't recall the name) Euro auto show.

Just out of curiosity what is the price of diesel in Germany?

Hang on to your glow plugs boys, one or two of our cracker *** senators will get wind of this and will want to implyment here. I can just hear them singing, Germany is stepping up to the plate to combat global warming and producing clean air and we as the leaders of the free world should not only meet there standards but set an example and do one better.

Rog

Diesel price about 1.50 euro per liter.

1.50 euro equals 2.19 dollars

3.78 liter to 1 gallon

for a grand total of 8.27 dollars per gallon

What has this world come to.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:13 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by caseydudem

3.78 liter to 1 gallon

Holy CRAP, I thought it was bad down here in southern Oregon! I don't see how you can afford to drive the truck at all at that price

Old 01-20-2008, 03:18 PM
caseydudem
More Turbo
I dont have to pay the local price. I get a discount through the base. I pay 3.80 per gallon. Thats what price the servicemen get stuck with here. They say its the national average, but I think its just a monoply and they use it to their advantage. We either pay that or the local price.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:02 PM
skittlejr
Elder User
Originally Posted by CRASHCLEMENT
but our counrties morals an what it was founded on is going to the crapper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
no truer words have been spoken.

casey, will you be able to drive your truck on base without meeting the local standards

Old 01-20-2008, 05:15 PM
WALJON
Posting Guru

3.78 liter to 1 gallon

WOW that is crazy! here in CANADA I am paying $1.12 a liter and I thought that was bad

Old 01-20-2008, 05:40 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WOW thats is crazy!! I will lead a revolt if they try that junk here! How long till you head back to the states? or are you planning to make a career of it?

Old 01-20-2008, 06:01 PM
kawa
Postmaster

3.78 liter to 1 gallon

That is roughly $330.00 to fill and empty, stock two (2) tank truck. You guys with the 60 Gallon extra bed tanks, well...that's an additional $496.00 bringing the grand total for a complete fill up to.....$826.00 +-

Now add a drive in the country with that cute Frauline, bed and breakfast for the two of you and you have dropped a cool Grand. Damn!

Rog

Quick Reply: Outlawed