Bronco II Ford Bronco II

2.9 Freeze Plug Locations

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 02:25 PM
bluroc
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.9 Freeze Plug Locations

My daughter has a 89 with the 2.9 and apparently my idiot son in law did not get enough antifreeze in it and now it leaking water out of at least 2 freeze plugs. The one on the drivers side we can see, but the one on the passenger side must be hiding. Can anyone tell me approximately where they are located on the block? I've heard they are 9 or so of them??? Thanks!!

Old 01-08-2008, 02:51 PM
Help I M Stuck
Posting Guru
there is a couple on each side of the block and a couple on the back side where the motor bolts to the tranny..maybe 6 all togehter.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:16 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Was it overheated due to the lack of the antifreeze? The 2.9L, and most of the Cologne family, is well known for blowing head gaskets, and warping or cracking heads if overheated. Might wanna check on that.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:31 PM
projectnitemare
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
There will be 3 on each side of the block and one at each side of the head, 4 total for the heads. It is possible to replace them while the engine is still installed but can be very difficult. I've only been able to successfully replace the front two on each side with the engine unbolted from the mounts and lifted up a few inches. To the rear ones on the block you'll probably have to pull the engine. The ones on the front of the heads are easy, the ones on the back you need to pull the heads. It is very true if you overheat a 2.9L you can trash the heads and gaskets. To truely have them checked you need to pull them and have them mag tested. Pretty good chance they will find cracks, even the easiest used 2.9L will show some cracking and they will try to sell you new heads. As long as you aren't getting a mixing of coolant and oil in the engine or radiator you are fine. As far as the freeze plugs when you get some have them reference the plug to one that has longer sides to it, like a cup, rather than the wafer they will give you. They are much easier to install and will hold better. Or the only way to avoid to pulling or lifting the engine would be to use the rubber repair type freeze plug.

Matt

Old 01-08-2008, 06:42 PM
bluroc
New User
Thanks guys for your help. What happened was when she got the Bronco I replaced the thermostat and worked on the radiator some. When I fixed it I put straight water in it because it was early fall and still hot and that's all we had at the time. I told my son in law he had to drain the water and put antifreeze in it. Well last week it was to get real cold, 8* I believe, and I called her to see if he had put the antifreeze in. She said he had, BUT either he did not let it run long enough to mix with the water in the block or he just didn't put any in it. I went today and checked it out and it had pushed 2 freeze plugs out, 1 on each side middle, but they were the rubber ones and since they were a little hard to get to, I put 2 rubber ones back in it. Now I don't have a leak but I have creamy coffee looking oil. Its not putting a lot of water in the oil (its not raising it on the dipstick or anything) but its definately mixing somewhere. Some people just will not listen!!!!!

Old 01-08-2008, 08:57 PM
projectnitemare
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Take it for a drive to get to operating temperature and change the oil. After a good drive to get that up to temperature to make sure you have evaporated any normal moisture (as air moisture from sitting over night) from the engine check the oil again. If look under the oil cap, if it's all snotty looking there is a good chance there is a crack somewhere in the block or heads. The freeze plugs will usually prevent a split block if you catch it in time, but if it froze really good it might be shot.

Matt