6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

How often does your truck go into Regen?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 08:24 AM
TwIsTeD OfF
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How often does your truck go into Regen?

I've got about 1200 miles on my Job 1 F250 4X2 auto CC and have never had it go into regen. I understood that it would do that about once every tank or so.
I've been getting about 14 MPG mixed city and highway.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:59 AM
firehawk198
Elder User
Depends on driving habbits, if a lot of short stop & go it will regen more often. When I towed this summer couldn't feel it go into regen for 3,000 miles. If you were driving highway you might not even feel it go in my the time you got off. Mine just stumbles for a second then is about normal

Old 01-08-2008, 01:23 PM
Snowman_175
Freshman User
mine does it sledom. may be because almost all my miles are on the highway.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:39 PM
SUPERDUTY_08
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it seems like mine goes in to regen everytime I start up my truck. I just turned 2,400 miles on it. Only 115 hours on the meter. But I can never make it through a whole cycle. I start it up, let it warm up for a few min (this is when the idle kicks up) then drive around town and then back home. So theres a lot of stop and go. The truck mostly gets its use in the summer when we are towing the camper. I wish I got to take it up on the highway more often for longer trips. I still love the truck.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:13 PM
rrrmotorsports
New User
Smile

My truck has 19K on it and it was just back at Ford for the regen issue. On highway driving empty the truck would go into Regen every 55-60 miles and be in Regen for 22-26 miles. I just took a 2400 mile trip with the 44ft race car trailer and it was going into Regen approx 75-80% of the time I was driving. Hoping the new sensors help this. Also wondering if anyone is having a rattling noise under full throttle, sounds like a cracked heat shield right in front of the glove box.

F350 DRW CC

Old 01-08-2008, 05:28 PM
pilotshot
Senior User
I have 16000 miles on my 6.4 L PSD. I have only experienced one active re-gen. I live on a mountain so perhaps the steep climb will give me passive re-gens rather than active regens. Using ULSD fuel and CJ-4 oils help to prevent frequent re-gens.

One fact that most owners with frequent active re-gens do not mention is what fuel and oil they are using. In some states there seems to be lots of low sulpher fuel (LSD) rather than ULSD fuel. Other owners do not mention whether their oil is CJ-4 or CI-1. If you use LSD rather than ULSD fuel and/or using CI-1 oil rather than CJ-4 it will cause the DPF to soot up much quicker causing lots of re-gens to clear the soot out. Some of the problems discussed here is caused by selling dealers not teaching their customers the complete story of re-gens and being very particular with the types of fuel and oil. This forum has been a great service to me in learning about re-gens.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:52 PM
fordfish
Senior User
Originally Posted by SUPERDUTY_08
it seems like mine goes in to regen everytime I start up my truck. I just turned 2,400 miles on it. Only 115 hours on the meter. But I can never make it through a whole cycle. I start it up, let it warm up for a few min (this is when the idle kicks up) then drive around town and then back home. So theres a lot of stop and go. The truck mostly gets its use in the summer when we are towing the camper. I wish I got to take it up on the highway more often for longer trips. I still love the truck.
ditto, like the town drunk...you didn't know he was drunk until you saw him sober...well that applies to my regen cycles

Old 01-09-2008, 07:01 AM
redwarr
New User
Originally Posted by SUPERDUTY_08
These trucks idle up after start to help keep the engine warm also. In cold weather i let mine idle on the job alot. If you pay attention it will idle up to 1000 RPM and after awhile idle back down. Later it will idle up again. When i caught mine idleing up for a regen one time it seemed like it idled at about 1200 RPM.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:00 PM
fordfish
Senior User
How do UGuys get sensors replaced? I complained about cobbstant regen they said that's normal- abnormal engine, everythings normal?

Old 01-14-2008, 08:31 PM
soundpro
New User
Stick with the 15ppm Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel fellas. For some reason, when I was using 50ppm ULSD the engine was going into regen way too often IMO.

Now that I have filled the last three tanks with Exxon 15ppm ULSD, I have not even experienced a single active regen cycle since I made the switch from 50ppm.

Nevertheless, I'm sure that it's going to regen again sooner or later. I just hope when it does that it's not anytime soon.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:46 AM
El Cap
New User
once in 2500 miles. When it did happen it lasted about two minutes when I was parked. Minor inconvenience if you ask me.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:00 AM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
Talking

Originally Posted by soundpro
Stick with the 15ppm Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel fellas. For some reason, when I was using 50ppm ULSD the engine was going into regen way too often IMO.

Now that I have filled the last three tanks with Exxon 15ppm ULSD, I have not even experienced a single active regen cycle since I made the switch from 50ppm.

Nevertheless, I'm sure that it's going to regen again sooner or later. I just hope when it does that it's not anytime soon.
I believe you mean lsdf 500 ppm maximum sulfur, as compared to what is recommended ultra low sulfur diesel fuel 15 ppm maximum sulfur. What still irks me is that the FED, EPA did not make more of a change to the green label on fuel pumps. It is so easy to be driving, then pull up to a station as the label for each type fuel is almost identical.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:07 PM
soundpro
New User
Thanks for the correction. Yes, I meant 500ppm lsdf.

Since I posted that last message, I have filled up again with Exxon 15ppm ULSD from the same station that I've been using. Now, the fourth fill-up with 15ppm ULSD, I have still have not experienced an active regen.

The higher sulphur content in 500ppm lsdf must create some DPF build-up in a hurry.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:01 PM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
I am now in Pa and had no problems with my truck. This morning it was 5 in Fayetteville, WVA and I let the glow plugs do their thing and the truck fired almost immediately,

I still have not had a regen that I could identify. Pulled out from a couple more stations that offered lsdf. I really believe using the wrong fuel is causing a lot of our friends/fellow members the trouble.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:28 PM
soundpro
New User
Originally Posted by rmosso1
... I really believe using the wrong fuel is causing a lot of our friends/fellow members the trouble.
Yes, I do believe so.

Other than a squeaky idler pulley, which was replaced last week, my truck has been quite impressive. I can definitely appreciate the increased torque with this engine.

Quick Reply: How often does your truck go into Regen?