Sponsored by: DP Tuner

In-tank fuel pump mod completed

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 09:40 AM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 2,923 Likes on 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Excellent. Enjoy the sound of properly fed injectors now. No more cackley idle.
Yeah no kidding. The engine is so much quieter now. Kudos to you for thinking of the in-tank pump mod in the first place.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:46 AM
FordTruckNoob
Originally Posted by 99SevenPoint3
looks almost like a custom kit ... real nice ....just out of curiosity does it have a lil more pick up and go say around 60-70 ? or is the secondary pump just to help the factory one...
Thanks. Yes, acceleration does seem to be improved as well. I have not been accelerating that hard in the 60 to 70 range yet though. I have not been on any open highways to be able to do that yet the last two days. The OEM pump is gone. The in-tank pump is the one and only pump now. I bought one that is supposed to be capable of higher volume at higher pressure. It is a Bosch 0 580 254 044.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:54 AM
99SevenPoint3
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well ive see quite of few ppl on here do the addition by that i mean they put what i call a helper pump on a few trucks,but ive only seen you and kwik with the pump inside the tank ... interesting if u dont mind me asking about how much did you end up spending on the whole set up you got ...

Old 01-08-2008, 10:44 AM
FordTruckNoob
Originally Posted by 99SevenPoint3
well ive see quite of few ppl on here do the addition by that i mean they put what i call a helper pump on a few trucks,but ive only seen you and kwik with the pump inside the tank ... interesting if u dont mind me asking about how much did you end up spending on the whole set up you got ...
I have seen the helper pump setups as well. I don't think the helper pumps are rated quite as high as the pumps Dan and I are using though. Forgive me if you know this already but the point of having the pump in the tank is so the entire fuel line to the engine sees positive pressure. Those fuel line disconnects tend to let air into the fuel when they are subjected to negative pressure. When that happens, the engine is fed diesel foam instead of completely liquid diesel.

I spent about $400 on the entire setup. The fuel filter alone was $250. Get rid of that and the mod becomes pretty economical.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:51 PM
TurtleRacing
PSD Addict
Does air in the diesel cause higher EGT's??

Old 01-08-2008, 04:16 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 178 Likes on 127 Posts
That is a nice set-up, it look great, I like all thought that went into it. I too was wondering what you had into it, glad to see that it was not that much. The only thing I want to know is what if you plug up that filter in the tank, what a pain that will be to change. I agree pressurizing the whole fuel system is a positive to avoid sucking air, what are your thoughts of an inline filter on the frame with the rest of your system? That way the filter is easily changed and still is under pressure so no air gets in.

I may have to do something because the ongoing thing from my wife is any modification I do makes it "smother and quieter" and it would be nice if a mod really did do that.

Man, I enjoy getting back into the motorhead stuff after being away from it for to long.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:27 PM
VQ2Fast4U
Senior User
Nice to see another member of the in-tank fuel pump club. You did a real professional job.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:39 PM
99SevenPoint3
Elder User
$150 bucks doesnt seem to much ... especially if it helps that much more... Im also wondering the same thing as truckeemtnfords when he asked about that inline filter on the frame ...would that be a good thing or bad? seems it would be easier to change out

Old 01-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
The thing to remember on putting a filter inline on the frame is that it's pressurized now because the fuel pump is in the tank. It is also carrying the full volume of fuel flow that the pump is putting out. Not just the fuel that the engine is using in the injectors, but the fuel that is also being sent to the fuel filter housing up front and the excess volume that is returning to the fuel tank via the pressure regulator. Expect to see flow rates of around 30 gallons per hour.
I use a fuel pump that was designed for use on a 1983 VW Rabbit. A very small car compared to the PSD. The pump on the VW is around 10% larger than the pump for the truck and the fuel filters are about 5 inches long and 3.5 inches in diameter and they get changed out every 15k. The are also designed to operate at the 73psi system pressure of the Bosch KE-Jet fuel injection. I would have one on my truck now, but it doesn't have a water separator. So I'm still relying on the stock fuel filter up front. I have to change it every 5k and even at that it's black when I take it out.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:48 PM
jhand124
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The thing to remember on putting a filter inline on the frame is that it's pressurized now because the fuel pump is in the tank. It is also carrying the full volume of fuel flow that the pump is putting out. Not just the fuel that the engine is using in the injectors, but the fuel that is also being sent to the fuel filter housing up front and the excess volume that is returning to the fuel tank via the pressure regulator. Expect to see flow rates of around 30 gallons per hour.
I use a fuel pump that was designed for use on a 1983 VW Rabbit. A very small car compared to the PSD. The pump on the VW is around 10% larger than the pump for the truck and the fuel filters are about 5 inches long and 3.5 inches in diameter and they get changed out every 15k. The are also designed to operate at the 73psi system pressure of the Bosch KE-Jet fuel injection. I would have one on my truck now, but it doesn't have a water separator. So I'm still relying on the stock fuel filter up front. I have to change it every 5k and even at that it's black when I take it out.
So does putting the pump in the tank eliminate the need for other fuel system upgrades like diesel site's CPR or ITP's, assuming you still have a regulated return? For some reason the whole fuel upgrade thing has me confused.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:50 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by jhand124
So does putting the pump in the tank eliminate the need for other fuel system upgrades like diesel site's CPR or ITP's, assuming you still have a regulated return? For some reason the whole fuel upgrade thing has me confused.
It is in place of the harpoon kits inside the tank. The beauty of having the pump in the tank is there is no outside plumbing that has negative pressure. There is NO WAY for any air to get introduced into the fuel stream. Air in the fuel is the biggest issue and that's the reason for the popularity of the harpoon kits. Nothing wrong with them, I used my own version for a couple of years before I moved the pump.
A regulated fuel return is better than the factory filter setup on the engine.
But IMO you need a very large fuel filter setup somewhere between the pump and the engine that would be easily changed and can withstand the pressure of the fuel system.
Most fuel filters are designed with a maximum flow in mind. I pulled an old Dahl type setup off of a Rabbit once and the flow rate said .6 gph on the side of the housing.
Our setups use around 30 gph. So I'm still looking for a suitable substitute. FN74 had a good setup on his truck last time I saw it nearly three years ago. Long before he finalized his Cackle cure kit. He had a remote mounted flange with a very large spin on type filter. The filter was nearly as big as the oil filter on the engine.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:41 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TurtleRacing
Does air in the diesel cause higher EGT's??
No. It causes premature injector failure because they're pressurizing and injecting foamy diesel instead of pure liquid diesel. That's the greatness of this and the Hutch mod (Dan mentioned the Harpoon in his post, but that's a different, unrelated mod for speeding up filling of the fuel tank at the pump). This particular version does the same thing, but it also helps by providing more stable fuel pressure and volume, if you need it. However, I wouldn't have put a filter in the tank. Way too much of a pain to change it. I just recently got a batch of bad fuel, and got real lucky because I puttered into an auto parts store parking lot and was able to change the filter with nothing but a single screwdriver right there in the lot and go on my way. If I had to drop the tank to do it, well, I don't even want to think about what I would've had to do...

Old 01-09-2008, 06:47 AM
TurtleRacing
PSD Addict
Thanks Izzy, all these fuel mods confuse the heck outta me. I think I understand all the rest of the truck but there seems to be sooooo many things for fuel delivery, I'm really not sure yet which way to go. I like the idea of an in tank pump, it makes allot of sense.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:55 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by TurtleRacing
Thanks Izzy, all these fuel mods confuse the heck outta me. I think I understand all the rest of the truck but there seems to be sooooo many things for fuel delivery, I'm really not sure yet which way to go. I like the idea of an in tank pump, it makes allot of sense.
The absolute best system at any price is to mount the pump in the tank. And then get a full flow, regulated fuel system that runs the full volume of the fuel through a fuel filter capable of flowing 30 gph, then through the heads, then through the pressure regulator, then the excess is returned to the tank.
You won't get any better than that.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:03 AM
TurtleRacing
PSD Addict
The absolute best system at any price is to mount the pump in the tank. And then get a full flow, regulated fuel system that runs the full volume of the fuel through a fuel filter capable of flowing 30 gph, then through the heads, then through the pressure regulator, then the excess is returned to the tank.
You won't get any better than that.
OK, now is there directions somewhere on how to do this? Obviously there's directions right here and a couple places for the in-tank pump, but what about the rest? Or is this search and destroy, I notice that the filter GPH seems to be an issue?

Quick Reply: In-tank fuel pump mod completed