Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1991 F250 4x4 balljoints, need labor cost, time, and how much disassembly ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 01:44 PM
fast68
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1991 F250 4x4 balljoints, need labor cost, time, and how much disassembly ?

on a 1991 F250 4x4 that i am trying to quote balljoint replacement labor on for someone i need to find out some things

i need to knwo what design of front end these have

are they CV shaft?

or not ?

coil spring ?

lower and upper control arms ?

radius arms ?

do you have to remove the knuckles completely as well as pull the CV shafts or do you leave the CV shafts on the front axle and pull the knuckles off them only ?

are the balljoints part of the arms or knuckles, or are they all removeable in 91 ?

are they all pressed in ?

no ball joint rivets or bolts ?

pics ?

how muvch time does the book say this takes ? around 6 hours ?

labor cost ?

what size ids the axle nut socket i will need and what type ? i have a few around but no clue if i have the one i would need for this truck

thanks for anything!

happy new year

Old 01-02-2008, 02:25 PM
sly22guy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If i remember i will check the book tonight and see how much time/hrs it calls for. I have one of the ford shop manuels at home. i would assume it to be a decent amount of hours. those are the TTB axles on them not the mono beam so its alil more time consuming. lug nuts i think are 1 1/16th".

Old 01-02-2008, 02:44 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
By the questions you're asking I can see you've never even been close to the front axle on this truck.

Leaf sprung, TTB axle. No CV axles. You remove the caliper, hubs, spindle nuts, bearings, spindle, and knuckle. The ball joints are pressed into the knuckle. You need a ball joint press to remove and install.

Since you're asking such basic questions, I have to wonder how you know the ball joints need replacing?

Old 01-02-2008, 10:27 PM
fast68
Senior User
oh its not my truck

thats why i was wanting to know about time and labor

and no i havent worked on a later years front axle like this

nope

i thought these were IFS front

how can they not be CV shaft ?

what attaches the balljoints to the arms ?

must be bolts or rivets then if they are pressed into the knuckles

i need more info

thanks!

Last edited by fast68; 01-02-2008 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:28 PM
sly22guy
Junior User
the book calls for 6 hours. but from what i read you've never done anything like this before so if i were you id pickup a service manual and figure in a couple extra hours. Your gona need the special socket for disassembling the hub also. if your going through all of that you should probly replace the wheel bearings also and do all of the cv joints on the axles. also dont forget to regrease the hub assembly. brakes. there is alot there that you should do all at the same time. can get pretty pricy on parts. if your gona do all that go and get prices for all the parts and then you can figure that part and then just figure what your time is worth for a weekend.

good luck. its pretty easy stuff, but can just be a hassle sometimes. i have it down pretty good now and can do it in bout 3-4hrs.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:31 PM
sly22guy
Junior User
there not a ifs suspension there a Twin Traction beam. its basicically the same as the chevy dana 44 as far as taking apart the hub assemblies. and the ball joints for that matter. If it were me i wouldnt do it for less than 200.00 plus parts. if you dont have the hub socket alot of parts stores will rent you the tool.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:37 PM
fast68
Senior User
ok you guys have me all wrong here

wow

i have a weaver 9,000lb vehicle lift,

i have a huge garage two story even

overhead electric remote control engine hoist on rolelrs on huge steel I beams that also roll on more I beams perpendicular to them

i have a balljoint press

tall standing pneumatically, and manually, controlled tranny jacks

i have everything except possibly the exact socket i need for the spindle nut,

but im sure i have one somewhere either here at the building or at the garage

i jut need to know a few details

how the balljoints attach to the arms

and i cant understand what type of suspension or shafts a 91 would have

i can only imagine A arms and cv shafts

91 has regulr old style hubs ?

i thought they did away with those in 88 or 89 ?

the owner wants new balljoints on

i have to do a 99 or 2000 somthing ranger next

balljoints shot on it as well, my sisters dads truck

i have done billions of balljoints over ther years but not commonly ford truck ones

and the last one was years ago

and never has been a 90s or later one

now do you understand me ?

i didnt presume that i would have to explain myself so much just to find out a couple or three things

hmm

so complicated trying to get specific answers from anyone it seems
:O

i dont know what TTB is

i am not a later model ford person ok, i have never gotten into them, and im not muh interested in it unless i have to- for example on this upcoming repair job, and our 97 f150 4x4 as well -in which also needs balljoints, and the trans leak repair- and so on

i dont get with these later ones like some of you guys apparently do(here we go with assumptions/presumptions again haha)

and its not that i dont think i can do the job,

for i know that i am perfectly capable!

if you saw how i live and what i do every day of my life then you would have no doubt about it
vehicles and repairs and so on are my life, period,

i simply just wanted to find out what i could ahead of time to save myself extra surprises

maybe no one is willing to understand this process/concept... interesting..

if ppl dont want to explain a couple things then fine its not the end of the world for me, i will survive

i could be asking for too much here

i appreciate it though!

sometimes vehicles and repairs and researching and ppl really get to be to a point where i like to call it a huge PITA and would like say heck with it all and quit,

but life can be this way often

yes i need a vacation haha

from life maybe

thanks!

have a good year!

Last edited by fast68; 01-02-2008 at 10:55 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:18 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Just remember that when someone asks if a Ford truck has CV axles and IFS, we all assume that you are pretty new to wrenching. More often than not, this is a pretty sound assumption.

This link will help you out: http://ford.off-road.com/ford/articl....jsp?id=198389

But it's for a Bronco/F-150. The TTB axle is the same, just leaf sprung in your case. You can't really explain how a TTB (twin traction beam) axle works. You really need to see it, but for purposes of ball joint replacement, you can treat it as a regular solid axle. There aren't that many differences as far as the job you're doing.

The TTB is not a solid axle and it's nothing like an IFS. It's a unique design and there are some pretty important differences. Once you look at it (or find a 4x4 Ford from 1980 to 1996) it will be pretty obvious what you need to do.

The link should explain it, but the ball joints are pressed into the knuckle. The threaded studs fit through machined holes in the end of the TTB arm. Once you see it it will become obvious how it fits together.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:00 PM
sly22guy
Junior User
lol that was great!!! as i am not a ford guy myself but currently have 4 ford trucks in my garage now! sorry for not having all the specific info but it is a rather simple thing with the ball joints they are the same as the chevy's ! In fact the sockets for the fords are the same ones for the chevys & dodges. Any how hope you get that vacation soon. i myself get frustrated on here sometimes trin to get simple answers to simple questions too.