Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > 335 Series- 5.8/351M, 6.6/400, 351 Cleveland
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-31-2007, 08:21 AM
Senior User

jmm is starting off with a positive reputation.
ford 400 build

hey fellow ford enthusiasts. im new to this website, but i have a account at another site. this sight looks to provide better info on the older fords. i have a 1977 250 highboy im working on. i recenlty took the engine back out. itwas just rebuilt by the previous owner. the specs are, 1971 block .30over. 400, mild cam, port and poilshed heads, edelbrock performer, 750cfm edelbrock carb. my objective is to increase overall performace. my thoughts are new distibutor,wires and carb. my problems is what size carb to go with. some guys say a 750 is to big. i know there is a 650 eldelbrock or a 670 and 700 holley out there. i think the 700 is a double pumper and not sure how well that would work. what about the secondaries. is it better to go with vacumn or mechanical. ive read some other post on here about the debate on a high volumn oil oil pumps, and the deeper milodon oil pans, and even an oil cooler. a lot of you say its not really worth it? what other enhancets can i do to make it run better?
Old 01-01-2008, 08:46 AM
Unk Bob

ubereal2 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.ubereal2 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Bob Wheeldon
The thing I've done to my 79 with a 400M that really helped is an HEI distributer. I'd think 0.30 over would be fine, with a mild cam, something with a nice lobe to it. I'm running an alluminum intake manifold, and Edlebrock 650, 4bbl with mechanical secondaries. Headers, 3" exhaust, then 5" stacks. Abit extreme in the cab though.

Bob
Old 01-01-2008, 02:03 PM
I'll have the Roast Duck

havi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to all
Havi Proprietor
I don't think a carb alone is gonna be the magical fix. 750 is a tad too big, IMO. That said, a "straight-up" timing set is a good start, along with the cam choice of being a Comp DEH 255. You say mild cam, but do you know what it is? compression ratio? pistons? etc... With more specifics, the gurus on this forum can dial that baby in to a tee. Which in turn will give you a better answer for carb choice. And welcome to FTE!!!
The rest are just average.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:03 PM
Senior User

father/son is starting off with a positive reputation.
we here you HAVI good advice,we luv you man. your water boys. pk m,d
Old 01-01-2008, 08:26 PM
Post Fiend

mark a. has a very good reputation on FTE.mark a. has a very good reputation on FTE.mark a. has a very good reputation on FTE.
You wouldn't want a double pumper. I'd stay in the 600-650 range.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:29 PM
Senior User

ive read the other post on the debate on the high volume oil pumps. i really dont know if it would be worth it or not? what do you guys think of the 650 edelbrock thunder series avs? another thing is i have to get this motor passed emmisions once cause i got collector plates? i know right now there is no emmisons controls left? what to do. retard timing, run lean, and a little race gas?
Old 01-02-2008, 06:59 PM
Senior User

father/son is starting off with a positive reputation.
hi jmm, paul here. i have no intent to discourage you, honestly i am behind 100% any one who has the gumption and the will to make these motors romp. i still say the confusion over the h-v pumps is related STRICTLY to STOCK pan APPS. h_vs ARE GOOD IF you can keep them fed IT, is THE stock PAN with that go fast pump where WE get in trouble. I honestly believe my mouth. those big time pumps run short on available oil quick with stock pans. then you areate and goodbye babbits, even for an instant.with air, you lose your boundary layer and its all over, particulary under load. i am bullheaded on this point but so help me i believe it just my thoughts bro just mine and mine alone. ah-v with a deep sump ie more volumne OVER top of your pickup will or should prevent areation and/ or starvation, i reamind you, your root clearences are ALWAYS a determing factor in proper oil control.bottom line we pull for YOU and good luck ALWAYS its a tough world with uncle sam lookin over your shoulder. as always, paul & nickk MD,l
Old 01-03-2008, 12:34 AM
Elder User

Colo79Ford is starting off with a positive reputation.
I love my Holley 650 Double Pumper. Worked wonders on my engine. (400, .060 over, .484/.510 cam, 7.9-8.0:1 CR)

Good luck with emissions, i know in my state the vehicle has to pass the visual inspection before ever being hooked up to the sniffer. If all the OEM smog junk isn't on there, it fails the test right then and there, regardless of actual pollutant levels.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:08 PM
Senior User

from what i read the 71' engines had no emmisions on it from the factory?
now if an engine is swapped would they take emmisons from that year?
Old 01-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Postmaster

danlee has a good reputation on FTE.danlee has a good reputation on FTE.danlee has a good reputation on FTE.
They usually use the vehicle year and VIN # to determine the emissions specs. I am running a '79 block in a '53. I don't have emission requirements, since they didn't exist in '53.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:44 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > 335 Series- 5.8/351M, 6.6/400, 351 Cleveland