1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Seat Belts Do Not Latch

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 09:36 AM
agferna
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Seat Belts Do Not Latch

Searched hundreds of seat belt posts but they are all "not exactly" - you know . Have a '98 Expedition Eddie Bauer. Long time ago the 2-point 2nd row seat belt in the middle did not latch. No fix, we just worked around it. Recently the receiver of another 2nd row seat belt (3-point) came apart. The receiver (the receiver is like the outer housing) had fallen and the internals come out. Gulp, gonna be a challenge to workaround 2 dead seat belts . So I gather strength and patience and I'm determined to fix. I gather the scattered pieces (seems like nothing missing and none broken or chipped) to put it back together, nicely (all hands - no tools), snap it back into the receiver and it fits perfectly. So I try it, just one problem, it does not latch !!! Other than that it seems fine. The buckle goes in smoothly as far as it has to, the spring seems to be doing its job, but no click. Sorry AG, no click for you - get it AG, you are a failure repairing stuff !!!
Remember that first seat belt, it suffers exactly the same problem early in life without any wear and tear (I had nothing to do with it). So the problem is in the latching mechanism between the buckle and the receiver. I tried to unassemble the seat belt to see if maybe I did not assemble it correctly (maybe a piece was flipped or something), but now I can't unassemble (maybe I need a tool - not my strength). So there you have it, 2 out of 8 seat belts bad, not to mention another one eaten by the dog.
So, who can help me on how to take apart the seat belt and provide a link to see a parts schematic for a seat belt so I can put it back together in proper latching functioning? I would dread have to replace them both and go through the bolting and unbolting of the anchors and/or seats - plus the $$$.

Merry Holidays and and Happy New Year to all you great folks!!!!!

AG.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:09 AM
timbo2
New User
Smile timbo2

The front passenger side oin my 2004 EB did the same thing. I sprayed some WD-40 down in the receiving end and worked it a few times and it has been fine ever since. A very easy fix. GOOD LUCK.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:39 PM
lwong
Senior User
Call your local dealership Service department and tell them your problem. I had a balky/broken rear seatbelt latch on my '98 and they fixed it gratis last year because it was a safety related issue, even though I'm WAAYYY out of warranty.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:33 PM
jbhford
Senior User
Safety issues will be a big matter to ANY manufacturer, so the dealer will take care of you. Don't try fooling with something as important as a seat belt...take it in to make sure it is fixed right. It's simply not worth it. It should not cost you a dime.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:13 AM
agferna
New User
Cool AG got his Click

OK folks, many thanks for the advice. I went to my Ford dealer and they said sorry - no mas. Maybe they're spoiled or maybe the dealers you know are friendlier. The lub oil didn't work. What worked was me and a flashlight and a thin popsical stick trying to see as much as I could inside the seatbelt, of the good ones and bad ones. When I inserted the stick I noticed the latch didn't show in the bad ones and I could see it in the good ones. Umm, maybe the bad ones don't have a latch? I looked around and sure enough there was this odd looking metal piece under the seat - looks like the tip of a chisel. Bingo that was the latch - no wonder the seat bealt don't latch AG - you're a genious. So I then had to find a way to disassemble the seat belt - good use of a screw driver was enough. Had to find the right position for the latch inside the seat belt assembly - piece of cake. Put it together and AG got his click and is clicking. Also got a lot of kisses and love from wife and daughter - heck I can fix stuff, right!!! Looked in the other bad one and that one too was missing the latch wedge, so now I only need to go find an old seat belt and take apart for the latch wedge. I got my click. Thanks all.
AG

Old 01-07-2008, 09:42 AM
jbhford
Senior User
I would make a report to someone regarding the dealership's response...NHTSB, Ford Motor Co., etc., because that is pi$$ poor in my opinion on their part. You should have taken your family with you to get your point across.

Drop the name of dealership. We can use this board to either expose those dealerships who need it, but also commend those great ones who deserve to be recognized for their service.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:46 AM
agferna
New User
Thumbs down The Dealer

O.K. as requested, the insensitive dealer is:

MacHaik Ford, Houston.

Anyone know a more "safety friendly" Ford dealer in Houston?

AG

Old 01-07-2008, 05:52 PM
2000ExpXLT
New User
Find another dealership, after reporting them to Ford Corp. Every manufacturer that I know of takes safety very seriously. They don't want your family coming after them when you go flying through the windshield because a faulty seat belt.

I had an old used Honda civic in high school and the seat belt quite working. The dealership replaced it for free because the didn't want the liability.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:32 PM
kwegman003
Junior User
I have a 97 f350 with a non functioning passenger side seatbelt. I called the dealership and they said I can bring it in and they will fix it, quoting me atleast a few hundred dollars. Ill drive safely and save the money. Im in college and dont feel like spending that kind of money for a seatbelt.

Vision Ford in Greece, NY outside of Rochester

Old 01-09-2008, 04:57 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They need to be replaced. Ebay, junk yards, etc. Not hard to find.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SEAT-...spagenameZWD1V

Old 01-09-2008, 05:36 PM
kwegman003
Junior User
Is there a way to fix the one in the truck. It wont unlatch and the retractor seems to be locked as well. So it is latched and locked. 80 dollars is still alot for a college kid.