Clamp On Tips and Weld On Tips. What's The Difference?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 07:55 PM
cdrmotorsports
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Clamp On Tips and Weld On Tips. What's The Difference?

I'm looking at getting new tips for my truck in the spring. What is the difference between clamp on and weld on tips. I found some tips I like but they say clamp on. I want my tips welded on. Can you weld a clamp on tip? These are not bolt on tips with the built in bolt.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:31 PM
Bear River
Former ******
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can weld clamp on tips on, but as a general rule, weld on tips will be of higher quality, besides that they look better welded on.

Clamp on tips are meant to be sold in the local auto parts store so that some punk kid can walk in and buy them for his ricer.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:56 AM
kens64
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought my clamp on tip because it was right there on a shelf and I didnt have to wait for it to be shipped. I welded it on though.

Hmmm. my car has never been called rice. I see who the real punk is, though. You gonna call anyone on this site that has a clamp-on tip a punk?

Grow up.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:54 AM
ghunt
Postmaster
Some weld on tips don't have the "flange" on the end where you slip them onto the pipe and could clamp them on....but then, some DO have have that flange.

I guess the ones without the flange look a little nicer, but I figure that makes it harder to get the tip really on there straight.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:38 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Some clamp ons have the clamp built into the tip. Most clamp on tips on the market though have slots cut onto the end where it slides over the pipe allowing the clamp to compress the tip holding to the pipe.

If the tips are good quality there is nothing wrong with a clamp on, I would weld it on though.

I had an extra tip laying around that is a weld on, I slotted the end and clamped it on my moms exploerer. Now she has a monster 3.5" X 22" tip on her explorer.

Last edited by dkf; 12-20-2007 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:26 PM
cdrmotorsports
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good info! The tips I'm looking at are not low quality auto part store ones, they are about $80 a piece. The Magnaflows I have now have the flange and my exhaust guy welded them on. I just wanted to double check before I spend money on tips that HAVE to be clamped. I love the clean look of welding them on. Not clamps hanging down and no way someone can steal them without having to take a sawzall to them.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:11 PM
boxcar1974
Postmaster
Tell you truth, I love my Flowmaster clamp on polished stainless tip from flowmaster. Why you ask? Cause I can take it off and polish the heck out of it to get all the road grime off so it looks like new again. Kinda a pain if it was welded and had to do that on my back.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:25 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by boxcar1974
Tell you truth, I love my Flowmaster clamp on polished stainless tip from flowmaster. Why you ask? Cause I can take it off and polish the heck out of it to get all the road grime off so it looks like new again. Kinda a pain if it was welded and had to do that on my back.
Now I know where I can get another tip when mine starts looking crappy.

Old 12-22-2007, 01:42 AM
Bear River
Former ******
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kens64
I bought my clamp on tip because it was right there on a shelf and I didnt have to wait for it to be shipped. I welded it on though.

Hmmm. my car has never been called rice. I see who the real punk is, though. You gonna call anyone on this site that has a clamp-on tip a punk?

Grow up.
Why is it you guys twist everything I say? I was putting across the idea that at least a general rule, clamp on tips are intended for people to acquire cheaply and install without any special tools. I was not calling anyone here who has a clamp on tip a punk. The people on this site are truck owners, not import ricers.

I was more making a generalization against the types of tips that at least my local parts stores tend to carry. They like to sell those great big muffler things that hang off the bottom of the import cars. You know the ones I'm talking about.

Old 12-22-2007, 02:14 PM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bear River
They like to sell those great big muffler things that hang off the bottom of the import cars. You know the ones I'm talking about.
Made sense to me. Taking it any other way would be misconstruing what Bear said.

Old 12-22-2007, 02:46 PM
kens64
Posting Guru
"Clamp on tips are meant to be sold in the local auto parts store so that some punk kid can walk in and buy them for his ricer."

He says nothing about "those great big muffler things". Im not misconstruing anything.

Are you siding with him because he is a sponsor?

Old 12-22-2007, 03:20 PM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ken...please lighten up here, that was a general reply statement.
In my area S.F. bay area my local (daily) hangout is a friends muffler shop and yes my area has a heavy population of Asian people as well Asian cars.
They do add on Fart Cans and tips thinking it's cool within their own ethnic group even though it looks in bad taste and sound to me and the muffler shop owners.
They (Asian) use EL Cheapo clamp ons that the chrome falls off within a week besides the clamps in general are some large ugly POS eyesore to begin with.
There are quality clamp ons especially the higher end in stainless, talking top 5% that are out there, most the cheap crap.
I would not want clamp ons because they are not as clean looking as welded besides the safety issue unless they have a small weld to secure them.
This is no sucking up to Bear River as i've had disagreements with Bear River
in a friendly way in the past. Done venting have a safe holiday guys.

Old 12-22-2007, 04:13 PM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kens64
"
Are you siding with him because he is a sponsor?
There is nothing wrong with disagreeing with someone so long as it's not disrespectful. If you disagree, ok, say so and leave it at that. That rule applies to everybody and nowhere does it mention that sponsors get kid glove treatment.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:57 PM
kens64
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Beemer Nut
In my area S.F. bay area my local (daily) hangout is a friends muffler shop and yes my area has a heavy population of Asian people as well Asian cars.
They do add on Fart Cans and tips thinking it's cool within their own ethnic group even though it looks in bad taste and sound to me and the muffler shop owners.
They (Asian) use EL Cheapo clamp ons that the chrome falls off within a week besides the clamps in general are some large ugly POS eyesore to begin with.
There are quality clamp ons especially the higher end in stainless, talking top 5% that are out there, most the cheap crap.
I would not want clamp ons because they are not as clean looking as welded besides the safety issue unless they have a small weld to secure them.
Oh no, I dont need to lighten up. Im not in the slightest way upset or bent out of shape. IMO his statement came out sounding very wrong and I called him on it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Happy Holidays to you too

Old 12-22-2007, 07:14 PM
brmpipes
Elder User
Talking

Originally Posted by Beemer Nut
oh so now we are picking on the Asians?my wife is Asian.Just kidding,my wife is Asian but i take no offence to your remark lol.happy holidays gents.

Quick Reply: Clamp On Tips and Weld On Tips. What's The Difference?