1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

swapping out ZF-5 to a ZF-6?? any help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 09:37 AM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
swapping out ZF-5 to a ZF-6?? any help?

anyone done this here? i have seen past threads on TDS about this but cant seem to find them anymore (when i need them). i believe the only difference b/t the two is the ZF-6 requires an external tranny cooler, which is not a bad thing! does anyone know of any other differences? any links to good tech articles or the like?

reason being is my 5 speed is in need of repair (starting to leak) and the synchro gears are going out. i would rebuild it myself as i have done one before but would really like a warraty just in case, ya know?! all the tranny shops around here wont touch it for less than $1000 (ouch!) so i figure if i am going to take the time and effort to drop my current one i might as well make an upgrade!

thoughts? comments? opinions? cash is not really an issue at this point but would like to keep it reasonable. i am figuring anywhere from $1500 - $2000 for this

-cutts-

Old 12-10-2007, 11:11 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the length is different so you will be looking at driveshaft mods and I also think it is higher so you will need to mod the floor pan a bit. I don't know this for sure but I think thats what I have heard.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:26 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i wanna do this as well when my tranny starts to peeter out on me. i know that reverse is going out in mine. i wanna upgrade to a ZF-6 as well. can you PM me the info that you find out about it???? thanks!!!!

Old 12-10-2007, 11:29 AM
61 uni
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You will have to modify the tranny tunnel. The 6 speed is larger.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:56 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
crap! lol well my plans have been foiled! i learned today that my t-case (4wd truck) has the wrong spline count to mate to a ZF-6 speed. guess i am just gonna get a reman'd 5 speed

-cutts-

Old 12-10-2007, 06:41 PM
61 uni
Posting Guru
A guy at work had a 99 f350 with a auto and swapped a 6 speed in. His transfer case spline was off to so he bought the case from the junk yard and swapped the shaft to make it work. It is a doable swap, it just takes time and patience. There is also a ring between the engine and tranny that has to be removed to install the 6spd. He learned that the hard way.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:59 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
i'll put it this way... if i could find a t-case for cheap ($100-$150) i'd do it, but taking on this project is already going to be spendy and time consuming.

maybe i'll just get a gearvendors

-cutts-

Old 12-10-2007, 08:06 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
then you would basically be buying 2 tranny's. if i could make it work then i would do the 6 speed swap. go to a junk yard and you could probably find a goot t-case there for fairly cheap depending on how proud of it they are.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:33 PM
barebackjake
Postmaster
need tcase, motor spacer and dowels, a bit of tunnel massaging, tranny cooler, driveshaft work

trans member moves back a couple inches

not a horrible project but spendy!!

Old 12-11-2007, 10:33 AM
ForemanES
Posting Guru
I asked myself this same question just a few months ago. I found a good used 6 speed but I could have a new 5 speed for way less than all the extras it would take. The only difference in gearing is a little closer ratios but overdrive is the same as ours.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:30 AM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ForemanES
I asked myself this same question just a few months ago. I found a good used 6 speed but I could have a new 5 speed for way less than all the extras it would take. The only difference in gearing is a little closer ratios but overdrive is the same as ours.
i totally, agree! just aint worth it! i think i would be happier with a gearvendors unit anyways! if someone came out with a correct spline input gear for the t-case i would be all over it like white on rice. i dont mind the extra work, just dont want to start swapping all kinds of parts!

thanx guys

-cutts-