Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-05-2007, 02:32 PM
Junior User

SVT03 is starting off with a positive reputation.
front wheel bearings

I found a nice suprise yesterday while rotating the tires on the truck. When I pulled the front passenger side locker out the snap ring was out of the groove on the axle shaft. So I pulled the caliper/rotor to see what was wrong and the axle shaft moves around quite a bit. My balljoints are starting to go also. I was going to just order the moog balljoint kit off the superduty site but was wonder what other parts I will need for the wheel bearings and if there is anything else I should just replace while im there. Thanks for the suggestions/help.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:59 PM
Senior User

erik_bishop is starting off with a positive reputation.
what year is your truck ?

the hubs are not serviceable, you will have to buy new ones, and they aint cheap.
your axle shaft moves around a bit, your needle bearing inside your spindle is prob wasted,
might be a good time to change out u-joints on axle shafts.

http://www.dynatrac.com/products_freespin_ford.html

here is a good kit that replaces almost everything, except for the ball joints.
check it out
Old 11-05-2007, 03:12 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik_bishop
what year is your truck ?

the hubs are not serviceable, you will have to buy new ones, and they aint cheap.
your axle shaft moves around a bit, your needle bearing inside your spindle is prob wasted,
might be a good time to change out u-joints on axle shafts.

http://www.dynatrac.com/products_freespin_ford.html

here is a good kit that replaces almost everything, except for the ball joints.
check it out
Its a 2000. I think the hubs are ok, they are not moving. I think it is the needle bearing inside the spindle. The axle shaft is what is loose. I am hoping just the bearings are shot. That dynatrac kit looks sweet but I dont have 1800 right now. Ok I will check out the u-joints. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by SVT03; 11-05-2007 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:08 PM
Senior User

GregN is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I did the Ball Joints a little while ago. Rent a U-Joint/Ball Joint Press from an Auto Parts Place. That made the job doable. I also did the Daynatrac Conversion as well. I thought that it was worth the money. Are you going to replace the Unit Bearing assembly yourself? If not, the dealer will charge you $1,800 for parts and labor and you still have the factory "crap". One thing you will need to check is if your axle shaft is worn or not. If the needle bearing went bad and there was quite a bit of play then your axle shaft could be worn an excessive amount. It doesn't sound like it is that severe on your vehicle, but something to consider. Just be prepared to spend pretty much all weekend with this. Moog Balljoints are the way to go. I would definately replace the U-Joints while you have it torn apart that far. If you live where they put salt on the roads in winter you might want to consider getting all new mounting studs for the unit bearings instead of trying to re-use the original ones. I had a heck of a time trying to remove just one. Took me close to an hour with a torch and every other thing I could think of. They are like $2 a piece from Ford. Well worth the money in time saved alone. Good Luck.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:57 PM
Just one year at a time..

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
Actually, the studs about $4 each from Ford, and a VERY wise investment in time and effort saved if you actually replacing the hub.

You may get lucky and need only the needle bearings. They are available separately from Ford. Sorry, I don't have the part number off-hand, but someone will chime in with it. Hopefully, your axle shaft won't be galled, and that's all you'll need.

Edit:

I went to Guzzle's maintenance site for the hubs, http://guzzle.rbmicro.com/nblube.html and got the p/n for the needles: Ford-C6TZ-3123A or NAPA-B2110

Pop
Email SpringerPop SpringerPop's F-350

Last edited by SpringerPop; 11-05-2007 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:24 PM
Elder User

jrciii56 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jrciii56 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I did one of my needle bearing this weekend. It wasnt too bad. However my balljoints where in good shape. The axle moving is probably the needle bearing or the axle shaft is worn down. I had to replace my axle shaft and needle bearing. I got my stuff from Fleet Pride. It was close to half the price of Ford. Hope this helps. I got a new outer axle shaft and bearing kit for $80.
GOC #1 PAA #1839

JUST TRADED - 2000 F350 ,CC, SRW
Old 11-05-2007, 06:33 PM

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
Don'tcha just LOVE FleetPride? They're a well-kept secret.

Pop
Old 11-05-2007, 07:04 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrciii56
I did one of my needle bearing this weekend. It wasnt too bad. However my balljoints where in good shape. The axle moving is probably the needle bearing or the axle shaft is worn down. I had to replace my axle shaft and needle bearing. I got my stuff from Fleet Pride. It was close to half the price of Ford. Hope this helps. I got a new outer axle shaft and bearing kit for $80.
now that sounds promising... everyone was getting me scared with the 500-1800 dollar repairs! I hope it is just the needle bearings but I am usually not that lucky...
Old 11-05-2007, 07:05 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregN
I did the Ball Joints a little while ago. Rent a U-Joint/Ball Joint Press from an Auto Parts Place. That made the job doable. I also did the Daynatrac Conversion as well. I thought that it was worth the money. Are you going to replace the Unit Bearing assembly yourself? If not, the dealer will charge you $1,800 for parts and labor and you still have the factory "crap". One thing you will need to check is if your axle shaft is worn or not. If the needle bearing went bad and there was quite a bit of play then your axle shaft could be worn an excessive amount. It doesn't sound like it is that severe on your vehicle, but something to consider. Just be prepared to spend pretty much all weekend with this. Moog Balljoints are the way to go. I would definately replace the U-Joints while you have it torn apart that far. If you live where they put salt on the roads in winter you might want to consider getting all new mounting studs for the unit bearings instead of trying to re-use the original ones. I had a heck of a time trying to remove just one. Took me close to an hour with a torch and every other thing I could think of. They are like $2 a piece from Ford. Well worth the money in time saved alone. Good Luck.
I will be doing it myself, I am in south louisiana so I dont have to much rust on the truck. I think I will do the u-joints also since it seems to be highly recommended.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:07 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
Actually, the studs about $4 each from Ford, and a VERY wise investment in time and effort saved if you actually replacing the hub.

You may get lucky and need only the needle bearings. They are available separately from Ford. Sorry, I don't have the part number off-hand, but someone will chime in with it. Hopefully, your axle shaft won't be galled, and that's all you'll need.

Edit:

I went to Guzzle's maintenance site for the hubs, http://guzzle.rbmicro.com/nblube.html and got the p/n for the needles: Ford-C6TZ-3123A or NAPA-B2110

Pop
Thanks for the link and the p/n, that site is pretty sweet. It seems he has instructions for just about eveything, very helpful.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:56 PM

The fact that Guzzle, and a lot of other very knowledgeable people are here, is a very good reason to eventually become a supporter of the site.

It's cheap, and the best "schooling" you'll ever get.

Pop
Old 11-05-2007, 09:45 PM
Junior User

jeepster1272 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I did the dynatrac kit a couple of years ago, and have been worry free ever since, I just repack the bearings every year. I run a 37" tire so it works for me. Just my .01 cents. It is fairly easy to install, and I got the ball joints done while I was there. Happy Motoring
Old 11-06-2007, 11:46 AM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster1272
I did the dynatrac kit a couple of years ago, and have been worry free ever since, I just repack the bearings every year. I run a 37" tire so it works for me. Just my .01 cents. It is fairly easy to install, and I got the ball joints done while I was there. Happy Motoring
I am also running larger tires (38's) and would love to do the dynatrac kit but I am graduating as a M.E. in dec so I dont have a lot of cash at my disposal right now. I may upgrade after I am working for a few months and aquire some cash.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:15 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrciii56
well fleet pride says they dont deal with stuff this small... dunno if it is just the one down here in baton rouge but the guy was not to helpful.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:15 PM
Junior User

does anyone know the p/n for the outer axle shaft and which u-joints to get?
Old 11-06-2007, 04:15 PM