Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   front wheel bearings (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/670777-front-wheel-bearings.html)

SVT03 11-05-2007 01:32 PM

front wheel bearings

I found a nice suprise yesterday while rotating the tires on the truck. When I pulled the front passenger side locker out the snap ring was out of the groove on the axle shaft. So I pulled the caliper/rotor to see what was wrong and the axle shaft moves around quite a bit. My balljoints are starting to go also. I was going to just order the moog balljoint kit off the superduty site but was wonder what other parts I will need for the wheel bearings and if there is anything else I should just replace while im there. Thanks for the suggestions/help.

erik_bishop 11-05-2007 01:59 PM

what year is your truck ?

the hubs are not serviceable, you will have to buy new ones, and they aint cheap.
your axle shaft moves around a bit, your needle bearing inside your spindle is prob wasted,
might be a good time to change out u-joints on axle shafts.

http://www.dynatrac.com/products_freespin_ford.html

here is a good kit that replaces almost everything, except for the ball joints.
check it out

SVT03 11-05-2007 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by erik_bishop
what year is your truck ?

the hubs are not serviceable, you will have to buy new ones, and they aint cheap.
your axle shaft moves around a bit, your needle bearing inside your spindle is prob wasted,
might be a good time to change out u-joints on axle shafts.

http://www.dynatrac.com/products_freespin_ford.html

here is a good kit that replaces almost everything, except for the ball joints.
check it out

Its a 2000. I think the hubs are ok, they are not moving. I think it is the needle bearing inside the spindle. The axle shaft is what is loose. I am hoping just the bearings are shot. That dynatrac kit looks sweet but I dont have 1800 right now. Ok I will check out the u-joints. Thanks for the help.

GregN 11-05-2007 03:08 PM

I did the Ball Joints a little while ago. Rent a U-Joint/Ball Joint Press from an Auto Parts Place. That made the job doable. I also did the Daynatrac Conversion as well. I thought that it was worth the money. Are you going to replace the Unit Bearing assembly yourself? If not, the dealer will charge you $1,800 for parts and labor and you still have the factory "crap". One thing you will need to check is if your axle shaft is worn or not. If the needle bearing went bad and there was quite a bit of play then your axle shaft could be worn an excessive amount. It doesn't sound like it is that severe on your vehicle, but something to consider. Just be prepared to spend pretty much all weekend with this. Moog Balljoints are the way to go. I would definately replace the U-Joints while you have it torn apart that far. If you live where they put salt on the roads in winter you might want to consider getting all new mounting studs for the unit bearings instead of trying to re-use the original ones. I had a heck of a time trying to remove just one. Took me close to an hour with a torch and every other thing I could think of. They are like $2 a piece from Ford. Well worth the money in time saved alone. Good Luck.

SpringerPop 11-05-2007 03:57 PM

Actually, the studs about $4 each from Ford, and a VERY wise investment in time and effort saved if you actually replacing the hub.

You may get lucky and need only the needle bearings. They are available separately from Ford. Sorry, I don't have the part number off-hand, but someone will chime in with it. Hopefully, your axle shaft won't be galled, and that's all you'll need.

Edit:

I went to Guzzle's maintenance site for the hubs, http://guzzle.rbmicro.com/nblube.html and got the p/n for the needles: Ford-C6TZ-3123A or NAPA-B2110

Pop

jrciii56 11-05-2007 04:24 PM

I did one of my needle bearing this weekend. It wasnt too bad. However my balljoints where in good shape. The axle moving is probably the needle bearing or the axle shaft is worn down. I had to replace my axle shaft and needle bearing. I got my stuff from Fleet Pride. It was close to half the price of Ford. Hope this helps. I got a new outer axle shaft and bearing kit for $80.

SpringerPop 11-05-2007 05:33 PM

Don'tcha just LOVE FleetPride? They're a well-kept secret.

Pop

SVT03 11-05-2007 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by jrciii56
I did one of my needle bearing this weekend. It wasnt too bad. However my balljoints where in good shape. The axle moving is probably the needle bearing or the axle shaft is worn down. I had to replace my axle shaft and needle bearing. I got my stuff from Fleet Pride. It was close to half the price of Ford. Hope this helps. I got a new outer axle shaft and bearing kit for $80.

now that sounds promising... everyone was getting me scared with the 500-1800 dollar repairs! I hope it is just the needle bearings but I am usually not that lucky...

SVT03 11-05-2007 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by GregN
I did the Ball Joints a little while ago. Rent a U-Joint/Ball Joint Press from an Auto Parts Place. That made the job doable. I also did the Daynatrac Conversion as well. I thought that it was worth the money. Are you going to replace the Unit Bearing assembly yourself? If not, the dealer will charge you $1,800 for parts and labor and you still have the factory "crap". One thing you will need to check is if your axle shaft is worn or not. If the needle bearing went bad and there was quite a bit of play then your axle shaft could be worn an excessive amount. It doesn't sound like it is that severe on your vehicle, but something to consider. Just be prepared to spend pretty much all weekend with this. Moog Balljoints are the way to go. I would definately replace the U-Joints while you have it torn apart that far. If you live where they put salt on the roads in winter you might want to consider getting all new mounting studs for the unit bearings instead of trying to re-use the original ones. I had a heck of a time trying to remove just one. Took me close to an hour with a torch and every other thing I could think of. They are like $2 a piece from Ford. Well worth the money in time saved alone. Good Luck.

I will be doing it myself, I am in south louisiana so I dont have to much rust on the truck. I think I will do the u-joints also since it seems to be highly recommended.

SVT03 11-05-2007 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by SpringerPop
Actually, the studs about $4 each from Ford, and a VERY wise investment in time and effort saved if you actually replacing the hub.

You may get lucky and need only the needle bearings. They are available separately from Ford. Sorry, I don't have the part number off-hand, but someone will chime in with it. Hopefully, your axle shaft won't be galled, and that's all you'll need.

Edit:

I went to Guzzle's maintenance site for the hubs, http://guzzle.rbmicro.com/nblube.html and got the p/n for the needles: Ford-C6TZ-3123A or NAPA-B2110

Pop

Thanks for the link and the p/n, that site is pretty sweet. It seems he has instructions for just about eveything, very helpful.

SpringerPop 11-05-2007 06:56 PM

The fact that Guzzle, and a lot of other very knowledgeable people are here, is a very good reason to eventually become a supporter of the site.

It's cheap, and the best "schooling" you'll ever get.

Pop

jeepster1272 11-05-2007 08:45 PM

I did the dynatrac kit a couple of years ago, and have been worry free ever since, I just repack the bearings every year. I run a 37" tire so it works for me. Just my .01 cents. It is fairly easy to install, and I got the ball joints done while I was there. Happy Motoring

SVT03 11-06-2007 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by jeepster1272
I did the dynatrac kit a couple of years ago, and have been worry free ever since, I just repack the bearings every year. I run a 37" tire so it works for me. Just my .01 cents. It is fairly easy to install, and I got the ball joints done while I was there. Happy Motoring

I am also running larger tires (38's) and would love to do the dynatrac kit but I am graduating as a M.E. in dec so I dont have a lot of cash at my disposal right now. I may upgrade after I am working for a few months and aquire some cash.

SVT03 11-06-2007 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by jrciii56

well fleet pride says they dont deal with stuff this small... dunno if it is just the one down here in baton rouge but the guy was not to helpful.

SVT03 11-06-2007 03:15 PM

does anyone know the p/n for the outer axle shaft and which u-joints to get?