1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

tint laws

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 10:15 AM
53pickemuptruck
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question tint laws

Does anyone know Illinois window tint laws? I'm getting ready to get new windows and need to know how far you can go.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:12 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
as far as i know the law states that on a pickup truck you can only tint the windows behind the driver { same for cars } and like a 2 or 3 inch strip top down on the front . my ol ' daily ride 97 had tinted side glass and got a warning for it { the door glass }

Old 08-19-2007, 11:33 AM
sgtrwg
Senior User
Here is a link that provides a list of most of the states
http://home.pcisys.net/~bpc/auto_law/tint/ hope this helps

Bob G

Old 08-19-2007, 11:36 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
Regardless of the laws, you won't be safe with dark stuff like "limo tint".

Old 08-19-2007, 12:16 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Regardless of the laws, you won't be safe with dark stuff like "limo tint".
I'll agree, I had the side and rear windows of my F450 tinted with a permanent spray on tint, limo dark. That was a mistake, as you could barely see anything out of it at night.

Old 08-19-2007, 02:24 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
If I were you I would go to the Illinoid DMV web site and check the LAW directly.
Being totally offensive to all that read this post, I don't recall any Illinoid Lawyers, Police Officers, Congressional Types, or DMV Folks on here.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:39 PM
sgtrwg
Senior User
Did a quick search of the internet for Il vehicle code, here is the link
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs...ehicle+Code%2E

Sec. 12‑503. Windshields must be unobstructed and equipped with wipers.
(a) No person shall drive a motor vehicle with any sign, poster, window application, reflective material, nonreflective material or tinted film upon the front windshield, sidewings or side windows immediately adjacent to each side of the driver. A nonreflective tinted film may be used along the uppermost portion of the windshield if such material does not extend more than 6 inches down from the top of the windshield. Nothing in this Section shall create a cause of action on behalf of a buyer against a dealer or manufacturer who sells a motor vehicle with a window which is in violation of this Section.
(b) Nothing contained in this Section shall prohibit the use of nonreflective, smoked or tinted glass, nonreflective film, perforated window screen or other decorative window application on windows to the rear of the driver's seat, except that any motor vehicle with a window to the rear of the driver's seat treated in this manner shall be equipped with a side mirror on each side of the motor vehicle which are in conformance with Section 12‑502.
(c) No person shall drive a motor vehicle with any objects placed or suspended between the driver and the front windshield, rear window, side wings or side windows immediately adjacent to each side of the driver which materially obstructs the driver's view.
(d) Every motor vehicle, except motorcycles, shall be equipped with a device, controlled by the driver, for cleaning rain, snow, moisture or other obstructions from the windshield; and no person shall drive a motor vehicle with snow, ice, moisture or other material on any of the windows or mirrors, which materially obstructs the driver's clear view of the highway.
(e) No person shall drive a motor vehicle when the windshield, side or rear windows are in such defective condition or repair as to materially impair the driver's view to the front, side or rear. A vehicle equipped with a side mirror on each side of the vehicle which are in conformance with Section 12‑502 will be deemed to be in compliance in the event the rear window of the vehicle is materially obscured.
(f) Paragraphs (a) and (b) of this Section shall not apply to:
(1) motor vehicles manufactured prior to January 1,1982; or
(2) to those motor vehicles properly registered inanother jurisdiction.
(g) Paragraph (a) of this Section shall not apply to any motor vehicle with a window treatment, including but not limited to a window application, reflective material, nonreflective material, or tinted film, applied or affixed to the motor vehicle for the purposes set forth in item (1) or (2) before the effective date of this amendatory Act of 1997 and:
(1) that is owned and operated by a person afflicted with or suffering from a medical illness, ailment, or disease which would require that person to be shielded from the direct rays of the sun; or
(2) that is used in transporting a person when the person resides at the same address as the registered owner of the vehicle and the person is afflicted with or suffering from a medical illness, ailment or disease which would require the person to be shielded from the direct rays of the sun;
It must be certified by a physician licensed to practice medicine in Illinois that such person owning and operating or being transported in a motor vehicle is afflicted with or suffers from such illness, ailment, or disease and such certification must be carried in the motor vehicle at all times. The certification shall be legible and shall contain the date of issuance, the name, address and signature of the attending physician, and the name, address, and medical condition of the person requiring exemption. The information on the certificate for a window treatment applied or affixed before the effective date of this amendatory Act of 1997 must remain current and shall be renewed annually by the attending physician, but in no event shall a certificate issued for purposes of this subsection be valid on or after January 1, 2008. The person shall also submit a copy of the certification to the Secretary of State. The Secretary of State may forward notice of certification to law enforcement agencies.
This subsection shall not be construed to authorize window treatments applied or affixed on or after the effective date of this amendatory Act of 1997.
The exemption provided by this subsection (g) shall not apply to any motor vehicle on and after January 1, 2008.
This subsection (g) does not apply to the exemption set forth in subsection (g‑5).
(g‑5) Paragraph (a) of this Section does not apply to any motor vehicle with a window treatment, including but not limited to a window application, reflective material, nonreflective material, or tinted film, applied or affixed to a motor vehicle that:
(i) is owned and operated by a person afflicted with or suffering from systemic or discoid lupus erythematosus or albinism; or
(ii) is used in transporting a person who resides at the same address as the registered owner and is afflicted with or suffers from systemic or discoid lupus erythematosus or albinism.
It must be certified by a physician licensed to practice medicine in Illinois that the person owning and operating or being transported in a motor vehicle is afflicted with or suffers from systemic or discoid lupus erythematosus or albinism and the certification must be carried in the motor vehicle at all times. The certification shall be legible and shall contain the date of issuance, the name, address, and signature of the attending physician, and the name, address, and medical condition of the person requiring exemption. The information on the certificate for a window treatment must remain current and shall be renewed annually by the attending physician. The owner of the vehicle shall also submit a copy of the certification to the Secretary of State. The Secretary of State may forward notice of certification to law enforcement agencies.

This looks very much like Michigan's vehicle code which I've had the opportunity to enforce for the better part of the last 32 years.

Looks like anything older than January 1, 1982 is exempt.

Hope this helps.

Bob G

Old 08-20-2007, 07:24 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
does having a state police lt. ex father in law count ? hee hee im such a smart a--!

Old 08-20-2007, 07:58 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
Originally Posted by sgtrwg
Looks like anything older than January 1, 1982 is exempt.

Hope this helps.

Bob G
I'm surprised that the wording isn't that vehicles that had tint applied before '82 are exempt. I don't know how you'd prove it, tho.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:23 PM
restoringmy46
Elder User
Honestly, everycar or truck I have had has had darker tint on it than the law aloud and I have had no problem with police at all. I've had 2 trucks with a 4" to 6" strip on the winshield that was 5%, side windows was 20% and the back glass was also 5%. Only thing with 5% on the back glass of a truck it's hard to back up at night. My wife's car which is a 2005 model I had 20% all the way around on it and I think that is a perfect look in the daytime and easy to drive at night. My 1994 model car I drive it has 5% on the windshield strip and the windows behind the 2 doors and the back glass. My 2 doors are 20%, but I like a darker look. But as far as a older truck I like the look of 35% but If it was MINE and would go just a hair darker. One thing to remember to is the darker your interior the darker your tint will look to and vice-versa.

1951 Ford F1
239 Flathead V8 3 on the tree

Old 08-23-2007, 05:29 PM
53pickemuptruck
Senior User
Thanks for all the info everyone, really appreciate it! Not sure which way to go just seen two or three choices offered.