Competition Diesel racing, sleds, dynos, power tuning and max performance.

hey guys - any tips

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 07:16 PM
rrock724
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey guys - any tips

hey Im gonna be doin a pull-off with my boss, he has a Nissan Titan and I got my 04 gasser SD, I made a post here

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...ml#post5036866

and Redford suggested I talk to you boys to give me some tips, I never pulled "against" another truck, Ive pulled many out of a stuck but never pulled against one
so any suggestions on what I should do? leave it in "D" or pull it into low? high or low range? air down tires?

Old 08-18-2007, 06:57 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
If you're gonna hook the trucks together just make sure you weigh more than he does. It's normally not a HP issue it's a traction issue.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:01 PM
6L PWR
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, traction. I'd air'em down a bit, but go too low and they might spin. I've seen that at the strip. Just glad it wasn't me. Seeing as you got a lift, that'll help too, you'll be pulling his back end upwards as well as forward. You'll be taking traction off his. ROFL Get some vid!! This ought to be good!!

Old 08-20-2007, 04:12 PM
matt16875
Senior User
I love Ford trucks to death but I have seen a brand new Titan hooked to a sled and was very impressed. Their traction controll system works very well. Also the lifted truck does not always win. Do a search on youtube and you will see. The one clip shows a lifted Chevy getting drug all over the place by a brand new stock F-150. Now granted it's a chevy but it was lifted and appeared to have some work done to it. I agree traction is the key but be careful, the lifted truck does not always have the advantage. You will potentially have more play in a lifted truck than a stocker which could result in wheel hop. Not good! Good luck!

Old 08-20-2007, 04:21 PM
CounterMaker
Posting Guru
hey rrock....do you mind if a take a road trip your way and ill hook up to the ront of the titan and lets see which part of his truck falls apart first...im only a couple hours away remember...talk to your boss and see if hes down for it

Old 08-20-2007, 04:46 PM
blake 7.3L
Senior User
In the hooking experiences that I have had the 5.4L is a hooking machine. This because they have just enough HP in low w/ larger tires to crawl away. That is assuming your hooking truck to truck. Air down your tires abit and your better off if your truck is auto. I wish you luck and if you need more seggestions, I've got em!

Old 08-20-2007, 06:05 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
do you have a gooseneck hitch??? if so then make sure you don't have a trailer ball on your bumper so they can't hook to the bumper and they have to hook to the gooseneck, just make sure you take off the tailgate first. then air down the tires to about 45 psi, put it in 4 low, put the tranny in 1st so you don't fry it, and when they signal y'all to go hold your brake for a bit and make him punch his. as soon as you hear his tires start to spin then give it gas and then let off the brake to avoid rolling backward. if you have to hook to the bumper then make sure you put some good amount of weight in the back of the truck so that you don't spin the back tires. i pulled against one of my friends after school and although he had 4x4 and an auto tranny i had 4 elevator weights in the back of my truck and of course it was my powerstroke vs. his gasser so i had a big torque advantage. i won by the way. good luck, take some video to put up on you tube and here to prove that ford is the best, and hope that you don't rip the rearend out of your boss's truck and get fired!!!

Old 08-21-2007, 10:41 AM
f350rebel
Senior User
i pulled my 5.4 (the totalled one) against a brand new chevy crew cab with a 5.3 and this is when i had my stock tires on it and i drug it back and forth in 4 low and 4 high.... I was a manual, but i put it in low and just worked that poor truck

Old 08-21-2007, 11:45 PM
MrSKS
New User
Need a little info

Hey, you seem like you know alot about High Performance 6.0's, so I thought I'd ask ya a few ?'s and save myself from getting told don't do that on the boards :P I have a 04 Ext Cab Dually and I just installed a SCT tuner from Innovative. I have to say it's a whole new truck, but I wanted to get your input on what I'll need to keep things from breaking. I have a heavy foot and I love to abuse the power, so I wanna try and safegaurd what I have.

Thanks
Bill

Old 08-22-2007, 07:01 AM
f350rebel
Senior User
who are you asking that question to?

Old 08-22-2007, 08:59 AM
rrock724
Cross-Country
hey Matt16785, I dont have to worry about my truck being lifted, his has a 6 inch lift as well and he has 35 inch tires in 22 inch wheels (so he wont be airing down too much)

strokin' you said to air down my tires to 45lbs ?? I run 32 in the front and 26 in the rear NOW LOL and the truck rides and handles great. When we do the pull off I will be airing all 4 down to 22-24 lbs, thats where I put them when I go wheelin and never had any trouble with breakin the bead, Ive even had them as low as 14 lbs before and didnt have any trouble (but that was for a short time over some pretty rocky terrain going REAL slow)