6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Regen cycle soon to be a memory

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 10:14 PM
SouthTexasDiesel
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regen cycle soon to be a memory

I've been talking to SCT and SuperChips, and word if they will be coming out with a tune that removes the regeneration cycle completly. SCT has told me that their program is already finished, and they are working with MBRP for a tuner & exhaust combo. These tunes will be labled for off-road use only, and will require the removal of the entire DPF system, and a new pipe will need to be installed that will accept the old sensors so no codes will be thrown. So the complete system will cost well over $1,000. But it will be worth it!! If I hear anyting else I'll keep yall posted.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:38 PM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
If you're handy with a welder, I'm sure it will just be the cost of the tuner. Sounds awesome.

Mike

Old 08-08-2007, 11:19 PM
SouthTexasDiesel
Elder User
Building a pipe wouldn't be that hard.......if you have the equipment and the skills. I have a Mig and plasma cutter, so I could do it no problem. I'm planning on strait piping mine and putting stacks on. So if they sell a stack package that includeds the pipe I'll probably get it just for the hell of it.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:33 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by SouthTexasDiesel
Building a pipe wouldn't be that hard.......if you have the equipment and the skills. I have a Mig and plasma cutter, so I could do it no problem. I'm planning on strait piping mine and putting stacks on. So if they sell a stack package that includeds the pipe I'll probably get it just for the hell of it.
Saving the old bongs from the three sensors from the oem exhaust would be the only challange,the rest is cake. I've looked at it and it looks like you could just remove the DPF and the CAT saving two of the sensors in place that are located just before the DPF and just after the cat. Than you would just have to fab a short piece with the sensor out of the DPF in it and your done.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:53 PM
SouthTexasDiesel
Elder User
That's if you want a 3.5" exhaust. The 6.4 comes with a 4" downpipe stock, I'm gonna take advantage of that and put a full 4" system. And I am going to keep my stock system in one piece. Just incase there is problems w/the truck I can just stick it back on and program the truck back to stock.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:19 PM
Nipperdog
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the new tuner does what you say it should be easy to gut the cat and DPF. I would prefer to leave the exhaust looking stock for obvious reasons.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:44 PM
freekyFX4
Senior User
Originally Posted by Nipperdog
If the new tuner does what you say it should be easy to gut the cat and DPF. I would prefer to leave the exhaust looking stock for obvious reasons.
Don't gut the DPF and cat. The DPF costs over $2k and the cat is about $1k. You're better off fabricating a straight pipe with the bungs for the sensors.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:08 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by freekyFX4
Don't gut the DPF and cat. The DPF costs over $2k and the cat is about $1k. You're better off fabricating a straight pipe with the bungs for the sensors.

Absolutely, it would be industrial strength stupid to destroy those components just so your exhaust appears stock. You won't be fooling anyone anyway, you will need a tuner to stop the regenerations and with either a gutted DPF or no DPF a look at the inside of your tailpipe will tell the story.
The day may come when you will want to, or have to, return it to stock.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:29 PM
Nipperdog
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by origcharger
Absolutely, it would be industrial strength stupid to destroy those components just so your exhaust appears stock. You won't be fooling anyone anyway, you will need a tuner to stop the regenerations and with either a gutted DPF or no DPF a look at the inside of your tailpipe will tell the story.
The day may come when you will want to, or have to, return it to stock.
Ok Understood: However my youngest son is a diesel tech for a Ford Dealer. He tells me that when he does warranty work sometimes Ford asks for the defective parts back and sometimes they don't. I'm going to tell him to save me the 1st DPF that dosen't go back to Ford and rip its guts out.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:42 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Nipperdog
Ok Understood: However my youngest son is a diesel tech for a Ford Dealer. He tells me that when he does warranty work sometimes Ford asks for the defective parts back and sometimes they don't. I'm going to tell him to save me the 1st DPF that dosen't go back to Ford and rip its guts out.
As long as you don't destroy a good one I guess.
I would not be surprised however if Ford keeps pretty close track of any warrantied DPFs.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:04 PM
SouthTexasDiesel
Elder User
You're also not going the get the performance out of a gutted system as you would if you had a regular strait pipe. The changes in diameter from the empty CAT and DPF will cause turbulance in the pipe and increase back pressure. It would be easier to pull off your stock system and place a 3.5" pipe in place and install the sensor holes, should be less than $70, and get a shop to build you an exit system. Or find the old exit from a pre-DPF truck. If you provide the pipe I'd guess it would cost about $100 for labor from a good shop. Not to mention the weight that will be lost from the thick walled DPF and double walled exit pipe, it should sound better too.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:40 PM
cHiLi 11
Senior User
Sounds good man, cant wait to hear more.

Nick

Old 08-11-2007, 09:38 AM
SouthTexasDiesel
Elder User
I just got back from the dealership for a warranty repair. Nothin major, just one of my reverse lights went out. I asked the guy how strict they were on tuned vehicles....... He said that it takes a lot of work to determine if a truck has been previously tuned or not. Basically he said if I return the truck to stock program and put my stock exhaust system back on I can get any warranty repair needed. Just some FYI to anyone who might be thinking about a tune or something similar. But this is the dealership near me, your's might be different.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:07 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Mine said the same thing, dont bring the truck in tuned or with codes. Take the tune out and clear the codes.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:32 PM
SouthTexasDiesel
Elder User
Seems like if it isn't clearly caused by a power tune they probably won't run a scan to see if the computer has been messed with.

Quick Reply: Regen cycle soon to be a memory