Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

injection pump remaned OR rebuilt?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 06:51 AM
dyrtbyrd
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
injection pump remaned OR rebuilt?

Am getting my injection pump rebuilt here in Albuquere by a reputible diesel shop they specialize in light duty diesel trucks, parts labor will be at around $900.
I am tackling the injectors myself this weekend which I got from them also the kit suprised me they went thru on explaining on what to do and watch out for when I picked up the parts.
Any opinions as to which way to go? Starting to have second thoughts on the rebuild on different sites I see IP's for $400+/-

Old 07-14-2007, 07:16 AM
mistakenID
Posting Guru
The price does look real high. I paid $450 each for the last 2 IP's I got rebuilt and calibrated for 6.9 turbo.

The shop had been around for years and the owner (Joe Bradley) was one of the best on pumps, injectors and turbos that I have seen. I really hated to see him close up and move to Oregon

Old 07-14-2007, 07:55 AM
brownieboy525
Senior User
you can get a good rebuild g code pump for about $480 at http://www.mwfi.com/dieselPage/ford_73.htm they have great service and ship very fast. then if your mechanically inclined you can change it your self

Old 07-14-2007, 07:56 AM
dyrtbyrd
Junior User
Any good sites to visit of recommended IP's to purchase quickly?

Old 07-14-2007, 10:35 AM
Big_red78
Junior User
I just installed a reman for my 94 f250 turbo diesel from gomer diesel in Montana. It was a stanadyne pump cost me $395 and put in 8 remaned standadyne g code injectors. Cost was $155 plus frieght of $10.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:31 AM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
Rebuilds are ones they find out what parts went bad then replace.
Remans are ones which are totally torn down and brought up to factory specs. throughout.

Old 07-14-2007, 12:41 PM
jdemaris
Senior User
Originally Posted by dyrtbyrd
Am getting my injection pump rebuilt here in Albuquere by a reputible diesel shop they specialize in light duty diesel trucks, parts labor will be at around $900.
I am tackling the injectors myself this weekend which I got from them also the kit suprised me they went thru on explaining on what to do and watch out for when I picked up the parts.
Any opinions as to which way to go? Starting to have second thoughts on the rebuild on different sites I see IP's for $400+/-
I started working on diesels in the 1960s, and have worked in two pump shops - mostly fixing Stanadyne/Roosamaster and AMBAC pumps. Most of my experience has been with off-road heavy equipment - but much of it is the same with automotive stuff. The DB2 pumps used on Ford-IH 6.9s and 7.3s, as well as the DB2s used on GM 6.2s and early/military 6.5s are not much different. I did have to work on many DB style pumps on early 350 GM diesels and some early 6.9-IH Fords.

In regard to differences between "reman" and "rebuild." There is no difference (in my experience). Anybody can call something whatever they want. The reality is this. The largest and most esxpensive part in a rotary Stanadyne pump of any model is the head & rotor assembly. This is the part the gets trashed when a pump siezes, and if it's even a little wear you'll have a pump that won't start hot. Basically, it is the heart of the rotary injection pump. And, it is NOT cost effective to replace it and there is NO process to renew it or "rebuild" it. So, when you buy an exhange pump, often you will NOT get core credit unless the head & rotor in the pump you trade in - is good. Nobody can make money selling "rebuilt" pumps that have new head & rotor assembies if the selling price is $300-$400. Back in the early 80s, I paid around $300 for new head & rotor from Stanadyne, and at that time I could buy a brand new complete injection pump for around $700. Exhange pumps then were priced around $275.

In just about any pump you buy - called "reman" or "rebuilt", it will have an old, used, head & rotor assembly. The only exceptions would be - that I can think of - is when you ask for, and pay for a new head & rotor that is likely to add $300 or $400 to the price tag. Many shops used to do things as thus. They'd take in any pump on exhange - siezed or not. They'd make enough money on the good pumps that got traded in, that they could afford to put a new head & rotor in a few, once in a while and all balanced out.

In most cases - an "reman" or "rebuilt" pump gets a $15 seal kit, a $8 drive bushing, maybe a new $10 metering valve, new $15 pump vanes and liner, and that's about it - unless it's a pre-1985 pump. If it's a pre-1985 it will also need a $35 EID update kit for the governor assembly.

With injectors - they can be made like new by installing OEM replacement nozzle tips that cost around $8 to $10 each. When you buy exchange "rebuilt" injectors, they should have brand new tips installed. Watch out for a few people selling injectors that are marketed as "rebuilt" but actually have NO new parts. There are a few dealers on Ebay doing that.