Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Ferret Instruments V765-01/Diesel Injection

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 01:43 PM
R1racer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ferret Instruments V765-01/Diesel Injection

I am ready to install a New Pump and new injectors, the rental program which was offered buy one of other forum user is down for the time being, any one near by the Wilmington NC area with a meter to help with Dynamic timing would be greatly appreciated.

If no one near by, how did you guys go about timing your IDI beside static, i might end up forking out money for the Ferret Instruments V765-01 - Diesel Injection but not sure how would it connect to Digital timing light.

Old 03-30-2017, 03:27 PM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
If you work on your IDI a lot or even moderately, I recommend just buying your own. I did it a few months ago and it's great to be able to tweak the timing to calibrate it perfectly. Here's a thread I started when i was looking for what to buy: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...d-adapter.html

Old 03-30-2017, 03:46 PM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
You're about 500 miles south of me otherwise I'd offer to time it. If you intend to keep the truck for a while it's a worthwhile tool to have. Hookup is easy. Clamp the sensor on #1 injection line (may need to sand any paint or rust off) and hook your dial back timing light on the inductive loop (basically a spark plug wire looped off the Ferret device).

Old 03-30-2017, 03:55 PM
R1racer
Senior User
I intend to keep the truck until the wheels falls off , just lately been spending tons of money on a lot of other stuff / projects , initially I was set on renting the tool, to get me going as I usually buy manuals for all my diesel cars and special data cables since I live in an area where nothing but stuck up dealers and I do 99.8% of all of work on VW , IDI and marine diesel

I am going to buy the tool for it very soon if not just for me to keep I would like to help others out there and return the favorite

Old 03-30-2017, 10:49 PM
shorerider16
Senior User
I bought the ferret timing adapter for myself, it's worth every penny if you plan on having these old trucks around. I did the math and mine paid for itself in fuel savings in the first few months, never mind the performance difference.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:45 AM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Just curious, so if some of you guys are investing in this type of equipment you do not want to deal with codes in the long run and the expense of maintaining the newer trucks ?

Old 03-31-2017, 10:06 AM
R1racer
Senior User
Originally Posted by Realslowww
Just curious, so if some of you guys are investing in this type of equipment you do not want to deal with codes in the long run and the expense of maintaining the newer trucks ?
No one need them over priced problematic Trucks ,...

Simplicity goes a long way

Old 03-31-2017, 10:07 AM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
Not sure what you're asking about codes? There's no computer on the IDI, it's all mechanical. The only electronics is the fuel shutoff solenoid.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:39 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
The FSS is electromechanical, not electronic. There are NO electronics that run the IDI.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:54 AM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Realslowww
Getting a great timing gun and ferret meter is something like $250. That's not much of an investment when you consider the outrageous costs of maintaining a newer Diesel truck. And considering the newer trucks are lucky to last 100K, and these IDI's run for quarter- and half-million miles easy, the IDI is definitely the way to go, financially.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:01 PM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by madpogue
The FSS is electromechanical, not electronic. There are NO electronics that run the IDI.
No electric, no worky. A solenoid is actuated by electricity, an electromagnet to be specific. It's electronic.

Definition of electronic

1. 1 : of or relating to electrons
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/electronic

Old 03-31-2017, 01:22 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
^^^^ That is nothing but a physics definition, of little real world use. By that definition, EVERYTHING is electronic, since all atoms of stable matter contains electrons. That's like saying diesel fuel, windshield glass and the deteriorating foam in our seats are all "atomic" because they're made of atoms. (Never trust an atom, by the way; they make up everything....)

Not surprisingly, OED's definition picks up where MW's fails. Their def. 1 is the most meaningful definition, one that gets to the distinction between electronic and electric. That distinction will be something more than pedantic after an EMP.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:44 PM
genscripter
Cargo Master
I think everyone knew what madpogue was saying. it is common parlance to consider computerized automotive systems as "electrical." And the IDI is a commonly understood engine that is "mechanical."

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-31-2017, 01:59 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
There's a reason people are obtaining and keeping vehicles that aren't reliant on electronics. How many of us have had to shrug off offers to buy our trucks from complete strangers at the filling station?

Old 03-31-2017, 02:06 PM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by madpogue
There's a reason people are obtaining and keeping vehicles that aren't reliant on electronics. How many of us have had to shrug off offers to buy our trucks from complete strangers at the filling station?
Owning an 80's diesel full size van in West Los Angeles.... I get offers all the time. To the behest and confusion of my friends with 2-year old Mercedes and BMW's....

Quick Reply: Ferret Instruments V765-01/Diesel Injection