General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Problems removing Anti Virus program......

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 06:43 PM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems removing Anti Virus program......

I have been using Avira Anti Vir as an antivirus program. I recently uninstalled to start using AVG but it didnt completly uninstall. I went to Add/Remove programs in the control panel to uninstall it, and it uninstalled just fine I thought. Security center didnt recognize it and it is not present in program files folder on C drive. I installed AVG and restarted. Now security center is telling me that two antivirus programs are present. It dosent list one or the other, but just tells me that at least one is up to date. Still no trace of Avira in program files. What would I have to do to totally remove it? I would also like to go with AVG on my laptop, but want to totally remove Avira first. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:57 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
did you do a search of that word as well.
sometimes files hide pretty good.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:37 PM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
Just did a search for it and it still cant be found. Yet winders security center is finding it.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:04 PM
Snowbunny
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Probably buried in your registry... Be very careful before you monkey around in there... Make a complete back up and save it on your desktop and make sure you know exactly what you're removing or other problems will start to show up...

Old 06-28-2007, 10:07 PM
Snowbunny
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
This a Unix system? Then nevermind, I don't know about them...

Old 06-28-2007, 10:46 PM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by bigdaddyII
I have been using Avira Anti Vir as an antivirus program. I recently uninstalled to start using AVG but it didnt completly uninstall. I went to Add/Remove programs in the control panel to uninstall it, and it uninstalled just fine I thought. Security center didnt recognize it and it is not present in program files folder on C drive. I installed AVG and restarted. Now security center is telling me that two antivirus programs are present. It dosent list one or the other, but just tells me that at least one is up to date. Still no trace of Avira in program files. What would I have to do to totally remove it? I would also like to go with AVG on my laptop, but want to totally remove Avira first. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Did you try the Avira website? Maybe they have a removal tool or tell you exactly what to remove in the registry.

Probably in the registry..

As stated make a backup of the registry before removing things..

In registry editor just search (Ctrl + F3) for the work Avira.. Remove all instances of it.
The only problem is There may be many items to delete...

If this doesn't work then there is probably a reformat in your future..

Old 06-29-2007, 10:03 AM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
I just downloaded and ran the registry cleaner from Avira, after a reboot winders still tells me that two are found, SUMBEECH. I guess a reformat IS in my future. Thanks for the advice and suggestions guys.

Old 06-29-2007, 10:33 AM
one_wicked_element
Senior User
Originally Posted by bigdaddyII
I just downloaded and ran the registry cleaner from Avira, after a reboot winders still tells me that two are found, SUMBEECH. I guess a reformat IS in my future. Thanks for the advice and suggestions guys.
Try this:

1. Remove AVG. (reboot)
2. Reinstall Avira. (reboot)
3. Uninstall Avira. (reboot)
4. Reinstall AVG.

Sometimes when you have issues removing a program, but best and quickest way to fix it is to put it back on, and let the uninstall go again.

Old 06-29-2007, 10:34 AM
IntrepidCUB
Senior User
could a part of it still be running? have ya tried, start, run, msconfig, and startup and make sure there is nothing of the virus program running? might also uncheck some of the programs you never run. did that to a friends computer that was running slow he has a 2.4 ghz and was being outran but a 300mhz. turned out he has HP and aol stuff running in the backgrounds stopped it all and now it runs pretty good. though he launched aol and it put it all back running but it worked for a bit.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:34 PM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
Just tried it Intrepid, not there.

I also just tried to uninstall both of them and security center is still telling me that 2 antivirus programs are found. Geez Louise this is going to be so much fun.

Last edited by bigdaddyII; 06-29-2007 at 06:55 PM. Reason: To add.......
Old 07-01-2007, 03:12 PM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
Okay, here is where I am at. I tried a bunch of install/uninstalls, I tried system restore, I tried deleting the files out of the registry, registry cleaner, etc, etc. No matter what I do it still shows that two A/Vs are present on the system. I do have a spyware program that runs in real time and I know that can show up as an A/V so I uninstalled it and as suspected security center is still telling me that there are 2. Having all that done, I have decided that a reformat is in order, however I wont be able to do a decent one for a couple weeks. The machine seems to be running unaffected by this. I have already ran all the security programs and this "ghost" A/V isnt affecting them. Until I have a chance to reformat, will this cause any security vulnerabilities or anything of the like, any other problems? Should I do a bang up reformat now just to be safe or wait until I have the time to spend with it getting everything just perfect?

Old 07-01-2007, 03:20 PM
tewferford
Post Fiend
As long as you go to your security area and it shows that the anti virus is in there and working. You should have no problems. I had the same thing with symantic.
Never did get it all out, but everything else worked fine. And still is.

Old 07-01-2007, 03:55 PM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster

According to this I am covered. Avira updates daily and runs a scan daily just like before. I am calling AVG the "ghost" because I cant find it anywhere but yet it is obviously somewhere. If there are no vulnerabilities and if everything continues to run smooth I may just wait even longer to reformat than. Other than this problem it really isnt necessary. I just did my laptop last week and man what a mess, not something I look forward to spending the day doing.

Old 07-01-2007, 04:00 PM
tewferford
Post Fiend
What I don't understand is If you went to (my computer) and clicked on drive C, and then clicked on programs. It should show up there. And if it does. Right click and then hit delete.

Old 07-01-2007, 04:09 PM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
When I did the uninstall it removed the folder from program files. Registry cleaner picked up a bunch of unused file extensions left behind by uninstalled programs. I at one point even disconnected from the net and tried to uninstall both of them, registry clean and even went into the registry and deleted any file with Avira, AntiVir, Grisoft, or AVG in the name and it still showed that two A/Vs are present. Hows that for being snake bitten? I figure its a lose/lose situation and if it requires a reformat I will do it but just dont have time now.

Quick Reply: Problems removing Anti Virus program......