Sponsored by:

Trail Etiquette. ATVs and Trucks.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 07:38 PM
cdrmotorsports
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Trail Etiquette. ATVs and Trucks.

I have a ATV that I ride out in the woods near my house. There is about 1500 acres and miles of trails. Most of the trails are only used by ATVs, but some of the larger logging trails have lots of trucks and jeeps using them. The trails are pretty rutty (about 2-3' in places). My ATV is nowheres as wide as the trucks, so how should a approach these ruts to keep the truckers happy by not messing up the trails too bad? I usually just put my right side wheels in the rut and my left side wheels in the middle between the truck tire tracks. Is this OK? I just don't want to tick anyone off and have not found anyone out there to ask.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:13 PM
wvmudder
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honestly, if there are 2-3' deep ruts, I don’t think your ATV is going to do so much damage to where the trucks that made those ruts are gonna have problems, unless you get so stuck you leave your bike in the rut and someone cuts a tire. Where I live it’s usually the trucks rutting out the ATVs.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:40 PM
75F350
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree: That quad could not dig a rut deep enough, or damage any of the existing trail enough to upset a vehicle. Heak the guys with open diffs that spin the heak out of right rear, and left front dig up trails worse than any quad will ever do.
Awfull nice of you to be concerned, but I think the biggest concern would only be maybe the right of way while traveling up, and down a hill. Having courtesy off road is a very essential part of having a good time, and being safe. Glad to see someone asking a question such as you did.
Curious to see some responses.

Old 05-18-2007, 06:58 PM
cdrmotorsports
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks guys. I just like the idea of having a place to ride (and offroad) where people don't complain. It's town land, but there is never any trouble out there. I've been riding out there for probably 15 hours now and have yet to come across anything except for a dirt bike. I would probably always give the right away to a truck if I meet one head on. It's much easier to get a quad into the woods then a truck.

Old 05-20-2007, 10:00 PM
Ronin4x4
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't worry about messing up the trails for the trucks and have fun. Really, your atv shoudln't harm the truck trails anyways. What I hate is when I'm out at the park wheeling and some atv tries to squeeze by me while I'm hammering at a hill. Happens all the time. One of these days I'll slide into them, they'll get crushed to death, and I'm sure it will be made out to be the 4x4'ers fault