Clean da' Trails :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 11:11 AM
RexB
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clean da' Trails :)

Cleaning the trails WooHoo!

The winter windstorms and record rain hurt us around Puget Sound -- power out for days, roofs caved in, cars smashed. I'm in the midst of buckin' & burnin' the downed trees and limbs here in the road and woods. And working the winter fat off lol...

Before and after shots of trails (I cut with the 'dozer a couple of years ago) then got trashed again by the storms. Who wants free firewood? Bring your chainsaw...

click 'n zoom

Before:

After:

Old 05-01-2007, 12:07 PM
Eric C.
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
????? NO Pictures

Old 05-01-2007, 12:30 PM
RexB
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Eric C.
????? NO Pictures
You're not seeing the pix?

The click 'n zoom thumbnails work for me...maybe does your forum webpage show "vB code off" or [IMG] code off instead of On?

Last edited by RexB; 05-01-2007 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:38 PM
nubeee1
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No wonder you go to Bed Early!!!...............

Old 05-01-2007, 07:10 PM
SuperSnake
Post Fiend
Yall are doing a great job.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:31 PM
Snowbunny
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks great, Rex! Looks just like the property across the street from my house! We were hit by the same storm ~ 100+ mph winds, trees down everywhere blocking the main route out of town, power out for a week, all while it was only 12 degrees outside! Hope that doesn't become the norm!

Old 05-02-2007, 12:09 AM
lostmybeer
Have a nice Beer!!!
Rex, when I'm up there to work on that house over by Deep Lake, if you don't mind, I'll take a load or two back to my place. I will be up there for about 3 weeks. Saw in hand ready to cut. It still needs some of Mike's loving, but still goes.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:10 AM
oneminizut
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shoot. I'll post my pics tomorrow. I still have branches that could kill Hercules resting on a feather. Not to mention what I had to clean up already. Yeah, it was a bad winter for us out here off of the Sound.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:59 AM
RexB
Posting Guru
Ye Snowbunny, all we'uns got smacked by the windstorms -- these durn shallow-rooted alders and hemlocks just popped the rootballs right out of the soggy ground. A few of the real firs splintered off above the ground, i hated to lose those especially.

Ok friends, psyche me up for another day of cuttin' and burnin'! The east side is done, started the road clearing yesterday, then on to the west side, Woot!!

Road cleaning; Stihl chainsaw is a blessing again

Old 05-02-2007, 10:04 AM
RexB
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by oneminizut
Shoot. I'll post my pics tomorrow. I still have branches that could kill Hercules resting on a feather. Not to mention what I had to clean up already. Yeah, it was a bad winter for us out here off of the Sound.
Ok John, you and Hercules get your ***** up here and help, it's killing me.

Ahhh, the good pains!

Been doing these since I first cleared nine years ago. Sure could use that dozer again *sad sniff*

Old 05-02-2007, 10:12 AM
RexB
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by lostmybeer
Rex, when I'm up there to work on that house over by Deep Lake, if you don't mind, I'll take a load or two back to my place. I will be up there for about 3 weeks. Saw in hand ready to cut. It still needs some of Mike's loving, but still goes.
Ok Tom, I'll leave some trimmed trunks 'n limbs out of the burn, a lot of it's too big & green to burn very well now, some will have to wait till Fall (dammit). The dam root ***** are taking forever. Diesel, WasteOil, propane starters, can't get within 15feet of the burn it's so hot, and those dam roots still won't catch. Have to cure for 2years, 3years and counting. Need an excavator to get them to the top of the pile. Oh well.

Plus there's 1-year-down 'old' trunks on the ground too that we'll cut 'n split, ready for your fireplace now. I've got mauls and wedges, bring yours too, n chainsaw, if there's room to carry them.

Last edited by RexB; 05-02-2007 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:52 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Douse with Naptha/ parts cleaner solvent (lighter fluid). It soaks in, hit them a couple times the day before the burn, then a lot right before lighting. You can get it for $22 for a 5gallon bucket at Parts Plus stores.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:52 PM
lostmybeer
Have a nice Beer!!!
Originally Posted by RexB
Ok Tom, I'll leave some trimmed trunks 'n limbs out of the burn, a lot of it's too big & green to burn very well now, some will have to wait till Fall.
Not a problem, that is my plan. Start the cutting, splitting, and stacking now. That way I can go out and play hard all summer long and hope for an Indian Summer as well. I have about 2 cords sitting on the side of the house, another 6 cords to go.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:33 AM
RexB
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Ford_Six
Douse with Naptha/ parts cleaner solvent (lighter fluid). It soaks in, hit them a couple times the day before the burn, then a lot right before lighting. You can get it for $22 for a 5gallon bucket at Parts Plus stores.
Thanks for the tip, the green pile had dried out from it's starter-burn yesterday, it burned hot yesterday. The eyebrows will grow back.

Originally Posted by lostmybeer
... I'll take a load or two back to my place.
How much should I leave out...what's a load or two? Pickup bed loads or trailer loads, 1 cord or 3 or ...

Old 05-04-2007, 01:14 AM
lostmybeer
Have a nice Beer!!!
Your up too early. My loads are truck loads, 8' foot bed, bucked not split. Thats just 1 cent. worth. I use what we can get our house warm. Don't want to burden you with a pile you want gone now or can get in the way of what ever you are trying to do. What we don't use is used for summer camping fun. Esentially what you do not want to burn now or move around, I'll come get. I just don't want to create too much work for ya.

Quick Reply: Clean da' Trails :)