Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whining Power Steering Fix!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 04:43 PM
unixadm
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally I cannot stand two things in cars. An exhaust leak, or power steering whine. By the looks of the pump, fluid, my pump was total garbage and was leaking. My 2003 Crown Victoria CVPI also has a power steering whine that isn't as usual in that platform. I've been driving around with a new Motorcraft pump in the trunk for the last year. I guess I should fix that one soon too.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:08 PM
RC Dan
Tuned
Wow, I feel lucky I haven't went through the shed and thrown everything out yet. My PS pump just blew the bearing and took a crap. I've never had good luck with the stock pumps and they do whine a lot. However, I have the PS pump and hoses from a mid '80s box van and guess what? I have a spar Saginaw pump sitting here. Glad I didn't go out and get a re-man pump yet.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:47 PM
unixadm
Junior User
I completed this install and it works nicely. New pump spins much easier and is quiet.

I have a 1996 F250HD 4x4 with a 7.5L motor

I bought the parts from http://www.partsamerica.com

PS Pump Part #: A1C206244
PS Pressure Hose Part #: PWR71079

Old 10-21-2007, 02:43 PM
radialarm
Senior User
https://www.ford-trucks.com/article/...tallation.html
Check this out from right here in our own forum.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:18 PM
LonnieD
Elder User
Remove Pump

Well something from my pump is leaking or the hoses on my 93 F350 diesel. How hard is it to remove? Any suggestions?

Old 04-18-2008, 08:42 AM
jas88
Lead Driver

Received 356 Likes on 286 Posts
I did this last night to my truck and it went very easy. I thought my ps pump was pretty quiet for a Ford but it leaked so I wanted to try this out. On my installation, tho, the 71079 ps hose was not correct. The 20-6244 pump I got from Advanced actually fit my existing factory hose just fine. That pn is 71424 but I just kept my existing hose. The only mod I made was to reclock the adaptor fitting on the back of the pump where the pressure hose attaches so it pointed more toward the fender. I was suprised how much quieter and smoother this pump is that what I had which, like I said, was pretty quiet compared to some others I have owned. I did this on my F150 with the 300 Six:

Took about 2 hours altogether. Paid about $65 for the Saginaw pump compared to $45 for the Ford pump. Reused existing pressure hose and belt, replaced the return hose, tho. This is a pretty easy job if you have the tool to remove the pulley, which I do.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:39 AM
unixadm
Junior User
On my 96 F250 the stock hose would not work and the 71079 is what I needed. The six cylinder truck may be different. But I can say after doing this many months ago, it's nice having a silent steering system on the old F250.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:56 PM
jas88
Lead Driver

The fitting on the 71079 did not match that on my new pump. I wonder if the rebuilders have 2 different kinds of pumps and they don't notice the difference so you get what you get when you get it?

Old 05-05-2008, 01:58 PM
Straight Six
Freshman User
I am about to do this conversion on my 89 f-150 with 300 straight six. As anyone done this yet? anything i need to watch for?

Old 05-25-2008, 01:01 AM
StrokerJoe
Freshman User
I have a 97 F-350 with the 7.3 Powerstroke and was wondering if anyone knows if this pump will fit my truck.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:19 AM
Animalistic
Elder User
Wow, good thread. I replaced the front linkage in my '91 F-350 2wd with the 5.8 last summer and then replaced the steering box about 2 months later. After replacing the box, the pump sounds like I am swinging a cat by it's tail whenever I turn the wheel. It only started howling after replacing the box and yes, I burped the system. I figure the old pump is having a hard time handling the new box.

Well, it has been howling for about a year now and I am getting tired of the looks. Also, the way it sounds, I am afraid I might find parts of it on the road one day.

I didn't see anything on the '91 truck so I was wondering if I will be able to use the stock hoses or am I going to have to get some conversion hoses. I plan on replacing both hoses with new ones when I do the swap but I want to make sure I order the right parts. Thanks for the help.

Old 05-25-2008, 02:47 PM
jas88
Lead Driver

I didn't see anything on the '91 truck
I am about to do this conversion on my 89 f-150 with 300 straight six. Has anyone done this yet?
I don't know what more I can do for you folks.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:01 PM
97stroker-kt
Junior User
so im about to do the switch to my 93 150 w/ the 5.0, and i have a question or two. one, do i need any new hoses or will the stock ones fit? two, do i need a pulley puller or do i just take it off? also do i need a new pulley and can i simply reuse the stock reservior? thanks for all the help fellas that ps pump is really annoyin.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:08 AM
StrokerJoe
Freshman User
I was able to convert my PS pump on my 97 F-350 with the 7.3L Powerstroke to the 20-6244 Saginaw pump. I picked it up at Napa for just under $100 dollars with a core exchange. I have to admit my stock Ford PS pump worked well and it was not a whiner like a lot Ford pumps tend to be. My reason for converting was to have strong and powerful pump for my Mile Marker winch. My stock Ford pumped worked well for steering my truck, but I needed a pump that I know is up to the task of putting out enough power to get the most out of my winch, and I don't feel my stock Ford PS pump can do what the Saginaw can. I had this winch on a 91 F-250 with a 351 before this truck and that pump was a whiner and did not seem to put out the power needed get full power out of the Mile Marker winch. So figured it would be best to swap in the Saginaw PS pump on my current truck that is known to be strong and reliable and definitely will put out more power to run my winch. My original plan was to swap in an AGR pump that fits the old Saginaw ham can, but I could not find any info on doing this on the 7.3L Powerstoke in the OBS trucks and was not sure what modifications I would have to do to make it work. Finally sourced out my answer from Performance Steering Components that using the Saginaw pump in the ham can would not work on the Powerstroke since it will not clear, but they make a conversion kit to use the Saginaw type pump on the Powerstroke that uses an external reservoir for the fluid for about $500dollars. At about the same time I discovered the 20-6244 Saginaw pump made to replace the Ford PS pumps on older Ford trucks. I heard of a lot people using this on a wide variety of years and motors in Ford trucks and it has pretty much the same shape as the stock Ford PS pump used throughout several years on most Ford cars and trucks so I figured it should work on the Powerstroke too even though I have not heard of anyone converting their PS pump on a Powerstroke engine to the 20-6244 pump. Maybe I'm the first, but I found out first hand that it does fit. I did have to modify my PS pump bracket in order to get it to fit, but it was not too involved to do. The stock Ford pump has nubs that stick out for the mounting holes and the 20-6244 Saginaw conversion pump has a horse shoe bracket mounted to the front of it so that it will mount up to your existing PS pump bracket, and horse shoe does not clear a protrusion on the right side of the PS pump bracket, but this can be can cut back and then the pump will fit. It does not sound like this has to be done on other brackets for the gas engines, but in order to get this pump to fit on the bracket that is on the OBS Powerstrokes you have to modify it slightly. My serpentine pulley fit just fine on the 20-6244 pump. You will need a pulley puller to remove the pulley from the stock pump to re-use on the new pump. The 20-6244pump comes with the tool needed to press your original pulley onto it. You will need a different pressure line, and this goes for the trucks with gas motors to from the 90's and assume most 80's too. I think the older trucks in the 70's used a different fitting on the pressure line that fits onto their pumps, and I believe the 20-6244 pump takes that fitting. Being that I have the Mile Marker winch, it replaces your pressure line with a line that has threads for putting on different fittings, and in the kit I got with the winch it came with a couple different fittings and one of them happened to be the correct one to fit the 20-6244 pump pressure fitting. I've been running this pump for a few days now and so far it's been great, and the steering is smoother and easier. I don't have the winch hooked up to it yet, but should here shortly and anxious to see how it performs under this pump.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:16 PM
ken19
New User
I have the same whining problem on my 89f150 only on top of that the brake light came back on. a friend and I did a rear cable last week . How safe is it to drive with that whining . any feedback would be greatly apreciated.Oh sorry, I should introduce myself. I'm ken and i am not a mechanic this is my first time posting I'm really glad I found this site.have anice day

Quick Reply: Whining Power Steering Fix!!!