Shocks...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2001, 09:02 PM
Bomber_Boy99
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shocks...

Guys,
I have a 95 Bronco 351W with Quad Suspension in Front. I'm tossing around the idea of replacing the factory shocks with Bilstein shocks. Is a swap like this going to improve my ride quality considerably? Also, I'm tossing around the idea of putting leveling coils in the front end. Is this going to make the ride quality go up or down? My intent in putting the springs in is to get the front end to stop sagging. The tires arent staight up and down when the truck sits at a stand still for whatever reason, so I figure the springs will help. Well, whatever you guys can contribute would be really appreciated! Thank you!

Ben

Old 05-26-2001, 04:18 PM
beratte
Senior User
Shocks...

If your tires are straight up and down then you need an alignment. I wouldn't add helper springs, they'll stiffen your ride considerably, think about it, if they're strong enough to lift your truck up, they're not going to give much. I'd go with new springs with a couple inches of lift if you want to raise your front end. good luck

Old 05-26-2001, 07:16 PM
etc
New User
Shocks...

i have a 90' w a 302, had the same sag problem. i went the cheap route and bought camber adjusters, they sit on top of your coil towers works fine for straightening your tires. if you want to straighten your tires and recoup the small amount of travel and get your front end up even with the back, go with the leveling coils they should'nt be much stiffer than stock only longer. as far as shocks are concerned i have the dual shocks, and feel it's overshocked for street use but works well for offroad. i'm lifting mine soon and have been told that nitro charged shocks will help keep the tires on the ground on bumps. but i too am concerned about ride so i'm going to run 2 nitro and 2 passives in the front. have you checked into the variable rate shocks? several companies offer them and i've heard mixed reviews. of yeah i just remembered talking to a guy at the local 4x place, he said they make a urathane bushing that will lift your front up also i can't remember if it's daystar or energy though. good luck

Old 05-27-2001, 11:39 AM
Bomber_Boy99
Freshman User
Shocks...

Anybody else?

Old 05-28-2001, 03:43 PM
Father_Flanagan
New User
Shocks...

The Bilstein shocks are not as plush as the stock ones, but they do make the ride smoother around town. I like them, but I do not think they are worth the price. Next time I am not going to spend so much money on shocks. I do have 2 inch lift springs in front with camber adjusting shims, and the ride is not as smooth as a Caddie. Just remember that it is a truck, and is supposed to ride like a truck. I like the bilsteins, but will spend less next time. Try the Rancho RS9000 adjustables if you are looking for a custom ride. They go from rock hard down to a little firmer than stock.

Old 02-14-2002, 12:07 AM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Shocks...

Old 02-14-2002, 06:57 PM
michaelwampler
Freshman User
Shocks...

What are the OEM or stock shocks for a 95 Bronco? I use my truck for general driving and for towing my 3100 pound boat. I have four shocks in the front, and two in the back. I'd like a comfortable ride, but don't want to pay too much for shocks. I don't go off road and have no suspension modifications. What shocks do you recommend? Thanks for the advice. Michael Wampler, 95 Bronco XLT, Michigan

Old 02-14-2002, 07:31 PM
kyle11
Junior User
Post Shocks...

Hey Ben,

That "sag" as you call it, is designed to be there, but is not caused by the shocks (may already know). I don't recall the exact reasoning for it, but I hated it on my 90 Bronco, also. I couldn't find any "levelling coils" when I asked around, but I do believe they are out there. I ended up with 2" lift Superlift front coils, and a 1" spacer over the rear axle to level the truck. Problem is that the 33gal aft fuel tank dictates the degree of level the truck will always have, in my findings. There are some factory springs from the older (1981 or so) Broncos that had the 400M engine option that offer the 3/4" raise that would even it out. Cost is about the same, and I may want 33" tires one day, so I went with the Superlift springs. In either case, you may be forced to purchase new alignment cams too (Superlift). The brand of shocks will be irrelevant, especially since I believe OEM shocks are Bilsteins. Unless you plan on some HD suspension for off road, I wouldn't even recommend the cheapest shocks that mention anything about HD or towing. Having quad shocks, my next set will be the softest (light duty) I can find, as even my cheapo Gabrial heavy duty LT shocks from pep boys are just a tad to stiff for around town (bearable though). I've even thought of eliminating one of the shocks up front for town, and adding on when I go off roading.

The springs and shocks are super easy to change out, if you have the jacks for it. The important thing is to find a reliable alignment shop before hand to save a lot of unneccessary charges in stuff you don't need, and get the best advice. Be warned that some TTB front ends cannot take a spring only lift of 2", so safe bet is the older spring for the 400M engine option of the early 80's Broncos (can't remeber the webpage for the vendor).

Kyle Dean
90 Bronc 2" lift, 32" BFG's, 5.0 AOD

Old 02-15-2002, 08:21 AM
AlM
Posting Guru
Shocks...

Kyle,
I went with the KYB GASAJUST; they have given a softer ride, but better ride than originals over the same road area that caused an undulating ride at 50 mph. The originals, from day-1 were mind jarring over raised expansion strips that were basically loosening dash and trim panels. The ride over the beach wasn't good either.
Also, the local tire shop owner that does a lot of lift work advised these KYB's over the other brands he sells and honors a lifetime replacement (he does on everything he sells for the 20+ years we've bought from him, so that is a factor too).

Old 02-15-2002, 11:02 AM
chrisl
Freshman User
Shocks...

I have a used set of 6 Bilsteins off a '93 if anyones interested.

Old 02-15-2002, 11:59 AM
kyle11
Junior User
Shocks...

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 15-Feb-02 AT 12:59 PM (EST)]AIM, thanks! I haven't even thought about the KYB brand since my mustang days, and wouldn't have thought of them for truck shocks. My experience with them in the past has been great, so if they make a shock for anything, I'd bet it's a good one. I'll keep that thought on my next change out.

thanks again,

Kyle Dean
Dallas, TX